PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

fire safety

flick24
flick24 Posts: 154 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 April 2017 at 12:30AM in House buying, renting & selling
I live in a house split into 4 separate flats does my landlord have to provide a fire extinguisher? also is this acceptable

http://s928.photobucket.com/user/leedsunited1/media/12399260_10208334967751950_789311644_n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Also I've never been given gas safety check someone has been out once in 3 years, how can I prove this though, that I haven't been given something

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Eh, what is your actual goal here? It will help more than what you are trying to do in OP.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2017 at 7:26AM
    There is no requirement to provide a fire extinguisher. They are considered a mixed blessing since occupants should not delay exiting the building in order to fight fire without experience or training.

Report lack of gas safety here...
    https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1
    There is a requirement to provide a copy to the T in the property so if you haven't got it and you haven't lost it then it wasn't done.

No, the electrical photo is not acceptable but not necessarily a fire risk.

There is also a requirement for a smoke alarm to be fitted and working.

Edit: noted from another thread that you are shortly leaving your tenancy so these questions are obviously not motivated by your own safety, so why now?
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Electrical connection is not OK and almost certainly a fire risk.

Flex looks like 1mm or even 0.75mm, connected (albeit badly) off a socket presumably fused at 32A. That cable is now essentially a fuse.
  • flick24
    edited 18 April 2017 at 10:15AM
    motivation is my landlord had been harassing me, threatening to keep my deposit I took photos when I first moved in but lost on an old laptop, this place was a disgrace when I moved in, don't trust him to be fair. I had split with my partner he has already left since reconciled that is where I am moving, he spoke to the landlord who said he will give him a reference but not me, which is cutting off his nose to spite his face, as he doesn't know abut us reconciling. He was annoyed because originaaly the plan was to stay here and be at the mercy of the council when I explained to him the process he accused me of being akward, not the case, just the system...so he threatened to get an immediate section 8 but he has no basis, total slumlord, left with no kitchen sink or washing facilities for 6 weeks a month after moving in, no gas cert, no lights for 3 days it goes on and on
  • flick24
    Someone was meant to come and earth our boiler hasn't happened not sure what that means even.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you're really worried, then it's yours for less than twenty quid.....

Alternatively, suggest that when you move out physically, you also move on mentally...
  • flick24
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If you're really worried, then it's yours for less than twenty quid.....

Alternatively, suggest that when you move out physically, you also move on mentally...

That's not the point I'm making, I want my deposit back
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    flick24 wrote: »
    That's not the point I'm making, I want my deposit back
    Then make sure that you didn't wreck the place, and if the landlord is unfair with repayment escalate it with mediation service with whoever holds your deposit. Because you will not get it back on some technicality, that only started to bother you now, landlords remedy for those is to go in and repair the issues, not give you a bonus.
  • flick24
    I have no intention of "wrecking" the place when I moved in we had to deep clean it ourselves as was in a disgusting state, the flat is furnished we had to insist on purchasing a new bed which they agreed to as it was in a terrible state full of stains, rips in the mattress, which they agreed the rest of the furniture is equally as grotty we paid ourselves to have the sofa cleaned because we didn't want to sit on it the place was flea ridden.
    We were not provided with any inventory when we moved in to say what was there and what its condition was...so where does that leave us if he decides to say this was like this and that was like that, I've looked into DPS disputes which has put my mind at rest just wish I'd backed up those photos my bad.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    flick24 wrote: »
    We were not provided with any inventory when we moved in to say what was there and what its condition was...so where does that leave us if he decides to say this was like this and that was like that, I've looked into DPS disputes which has put my mind at rest just wish I'd backed up those photos my bad.
    Without an agreed inventory how will the LL prove the contents & condition when you moved in?

* Deposits:
    payment, protection and return

* http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills