Mk6 Golf and EGR valve issues

Options

Comments

• alfiemorris
    Options
    Our 2010 2.0 140 went in several weeks ago for the update. The proverbial EGR fault was found so the update wasn't put on. I haven't had an issue with the car apart from a fail to start 6 months ago. This corrected itself and been fine since. It's done 90 Thou miles and I have felt just the slightest hint of a "hunting" sort of thing on the odd occaision. Same here, quoted £1300 to replace the valve. Emailed VW three times now and had two calls back but nothing conclusive at the moment about replacement.I can't/won't afford that on a 7 year old car so I wait with baited breath. Meanwhile, a dose of Forte fuel cleaner has gone in the tank just to try and ward off all the other bad stuff some you other owners have experienced.:sad:
  • AMU
    AMU Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Add me to the long list

Golf Mk6 1.6 TDI, 50k miles

Had the emisisons update early march, Couple of weeks later, I got the flashing glow plug light and dreaded limp mode. It was intermittent at first but by Friday, it was constant and engline light came on as well.

Rang the local dealer to get tested but they told me earliest available date was early april, so I rang customer services who set up a case for me. By Monday the car was at the dealers getting tested and surprise surprise EGR fault came up.

In the mean time customer services had promised me a courtesy car but nothing arrived. After constantly chasing them up they finally sorted something out. They also told me the repair for the EGR would cost me nothing. I think this was partly down to me kicking off about the courtesy car.

Car was repaired and back to me by Thursday, so I think im one of the fortunate ones who hasn’t
    paid a penny.

Interestingly, the advisor at the dealer said hes had a few golfs come in after the update with egr issues but wasn’t willing to give me too much detail. He also said this was a £1000 job and he was quite surprised customer services were willing to cover 100% costs.

When I asked him why the egr would fail on my car at 50k he said it could be a number of reasons, but most likely its due to short stop start journeys. When I told him I cover a lot of motorway miles he was at a loss to explain why.

Thanks to all on here for their stories

Best of luck to anyone else who has the same issues
  • Steve2005_2
    Options
    I have a 2010 Golf 2.0 tdi Mk 6 which had the emission fix last year, the car has 41k miles on the clock.
    About three weeks ago I had the glow plug symbol appear and the car went into limp mode.
    I called the RAC out who managed to clear the fault I took into my local VW dealers who couldn't find a fault because the RAC had cleared it. They wouldn't take my word that my problems had been caused by the EGr valve.
    The dealers told me to take the car in when it happened again. It happened again about 10 days ago and I had to drive 30 miles, in limp-mode, home. The car just wouldn't go up hills at all well. I also noticed that although the computer told me a was getting anything between 45 mpg and 200mpg!! But the fuel gauge told me a different story.
    I went back to the dealer who said that indeed it was the EGr valve and they would contact me within 48 hours as they were going to speak to VW.
    I asked whether it had anything to do with the emissions problems and I was flatly told no. I also ask why the parts seem so frail as I had to have a new water pump last year.
    After 48 hours I spoke to the dealers and they informed me that VW would pay in full for the replacement of the EGr valve. They keep the car about a day and a half.
    I got it back today and everything seems fine. They didn't charge me for the insurance on the courtesy car either.
    It's nice to come out on top for once.

• alfiemorris
    Options
    Two very lucky people I think! I just hope they (VW) do the decent thing with me then? There is a business set up close-by that say they can clean EGR valve using Terraclean technology? I'll try find out more and ask for guarantees if I have to resort to considering this treatment.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two very lucky people I think! I just hope they (VW) do the decent thing with me then? There is a business set up close-by that say they can clean EGR valve using Terraclean technology? I'll try find out more and ask for guarantees if I have to resort to considering this treatment.

Have you looked at the remap option? If possible it would be considerably cheaper although obviously not cheaper than VW fixing for free!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • nikkiclxrk
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is still having EGR issues?

I purchased my Mk6 golf 1.6 tdi 105 in 2014, from a private seller having only 5000miles on the clock at that point.

It has always rang slightly roughly, with shaking engine, cutting out from cold and this evening the coil warning light flashing and car entering limp mode.

I haven't taken it to VW for services and repairs, it's currently got 40,000 miles on the clock, and taken to a local garage for repairs.

Last week I took the car to VW for the emissions correction, I wondered if VW still offered good will discounts? Especially seeing as I only service the vehicle locally. Has to pay £400 for cambelt replacement last month so could do without another steep bill!!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
    Nikki
  • citykid5
    citykid5 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    Would recommend the Volkswagen diesel customer forum emission scandal on Facebook
    Loads of vw customers having the same issues after the fix
  • Draved
    Draved Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Draved wrote: »
    Just had a call from VW saying they have done the cheat update. They are also waiting from authorisation from VW to replace injector number 2 which apparently is the cause of the idle/cut out problem. I asked why this hasn't been picked up before and all I got back was that a new testing procedure may have been introduced if enough people had had the same issue. Told them that as a customer it would be nice to know a bit more after living with the issue for so long but she was just the messenger. I live in false hope this solves the problems.

It's been about a month since the fix and having the injector replaced (which they did under warranty). I have to admit the car runs better now than it ever has. It's pretty obviously got more power and the gear change indicator allows for longer between changes. What it has started doing which doesn't bode well for the future is having the cooling fan cut in when you turn off the engine. This is to help with the DPF regeneration cycle. It never used to do this so I can only assume it's getting fuller faster.
  • alfiemorris
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Have you looked at the remap option? If possible it would be considerably cheaper although obviously not cheaper than VW fixing for free!

Is that where the car's EGR gets mapped out of use Jim?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that where the car's EGR gets mapped out of use Jim?

Yes it is indeed. Mines now been done for over a month with no issues at all
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure