What have you learnt?

Options

Comments

• Debtfree2018_2
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice super useful.

I seem to have a lot more time on hand, since stopping online shopping, picking up the items, sending the items back...
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Shopping for bargains! Love it and I don't think I will change that now.

I also never subscribed to the latest technology - I have no need nor desire for an iPhone - my PAYG works just as well and costs me just a few quid a month if that, since I use it for texting and occasional calls. £10 of credit can often last me 6 months. A colleague recently spent a lot of dosh on 2 new iPhone 6+'s. That's mad! I had different ideas on what I could do with the dosh she spent on the phones that will probably out of fashion in a year or so anyway.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You can't sort out a debt problem by taking on more debt.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Growurown wrote: »
    You can't sort out a debt problem by taking on more debt.

Good advice.

I'm sure many have been there...I've got the T shirt.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Flutterby83
    Options
    The best things in life are free.....I was under the illusion that I had to buy my kids stuff to make up for things I never would be able to make up for, I set out on my debt free journey and learnt that my kids are happier with my time and not the latest fashion accessory that would need replacing in a month.
    I've also learnt that I can actually cook, but that's a whole different story!!
    Current Debt - Credit Card £3231.14; Hire Purchase £4,555; Catalogue £562.60, Loan £4754.88
  • midlander81
    Options
    Great post!

I have learnt that the key is to look at your spending. My previous half hearted attempts to clear my debts failed as I didn't realise that as well as having a repayment plan I needed to spend less!!

I have learnt that you have got to look closely at your spending habits. I was spending £36 a month on cans of coke and pringles on the drive home!!!!
  • Debtfree2018_2
    Options
    Wow that is a lot of money on pop and crisps, but I guess it all adds up I'm sure you feel better for it
  • midlander81
    Options
    Wow that is a lot of money on pop and crisps, but I guess it all adds up I'm sure you feel better for it

7lbs lighter although I do miss my drive time snacks lol
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I like to think about how rich I'll be when I'm debt free! (compared to when I'm in debt)
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I learned that paying in cash made me think twice. Now I shop around instead of impulsively handing over my card.
    Also I have learned to treat savings as a debt to be paid. That means I now have a (small) emergency fund.
    Also this site is a fantastic place for advice and support, whatever the money query.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure