heating grants with dependant on DLA?!?!?

Hi.

My boiler has just broken down - its terminal. Its over 26yrs old, so I was thinking about replacing with a combi boiler. However, before I shell out cash I dont really have - I was wondering if there are any grants for this sorta thing. I don't claim any benefits - but my son claims Disability Living Allowance on the middle tier.

I get really confused :confused: with these benefits things - and just wish there was one place where all grants/benefits were listed!

I'm in Swindon if that helps.

Cheers

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Depending on you income less than £15,460, you may get a warm front grant. Some providers offer some help although I doubt it will cover a new boiler if you get certain benefits and may offer social tariffs or safety checks. My daughters get higher rate DLA and we are moving to British Gas soon they have extra help if someone who resides in the house gets DLA. Scottish Power who safety checks also if you are a vulnerable customer, we are getting one next week even though we are moving to BG

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm
  • ineedcash
    ineedcash Posts: 50 Forumite
    hi
    try speaking to your local council and social services as we have a son on middle rate DLA. we managed to get a boiler and 3 radiaters fitted paid for by the council and it was not based on our income but the childs income.
    also as we removed our bath to have a walk in shower fitted for our son (this was also paid for by the council )we had our council tax reduced from band b to band a for making the home adapted for a disabled person
    hope this helps a little
    [STRIKE]outstanding debts £39,000[/STRIKE] £0:j
  • lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    we have a disabled child and we have had cavity wall and loft insulation done for free by british gas and we get the middle level of dla
    not sure about the boiler though but its worth enquiring i would say

but thanks to ineedcash because i didnt know that you can apply for a council tax banding reduction. and i will be hunting the council down on monday.
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • tillytomcat
    tillytomcat Posts: 198 Forumite
    some councils will give you a grant if a old combi boiler is being replaced with a new condensing combi boiler, definately ring up and ask about this as i missed out after finding out at a later date.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good afternoon: Have you visited the Energy Saving Trust website for info?

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    My son is on middle rate DLA and he eventually got hold of Warm Front (?I think? This was a few years ago) who installed a new boiler in his home really quickly, and where he wanted it too.

It was classed as an emergency because the old one was condemned by Transco (as they were then called) and it was November.

Definitely enquire about this. The powers that be never tell you what you are entitled to unless someone tells you, or you investigate further. He started by contacting his local CAB. Good luck.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Shame OP hasn't returned yet to read the helpful posts
  • Many thanks for all these replies. I'll be contacting council today.
  • i have just been accepted for a new boiler from homefront! ive heard some bad press over this companie and would like some info on it if possible cheers
  • um, well we had no heating, no hot water, i have three kids one with autism and chronic bowel problem, one with autism and repetative handwash issue ocd, and ou dd has reynaurds ( must not get cold) so how long were we waiting after grant approval.....................................9 months
    sorry in the end i phoned the minister in whitehall who is responsable for the grant administration, the next day the team arrived. mmmmmm hope igwana works quicker 4 u
    " I'm just a simple janitor, who can control people with my mind"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport