New external french door and window cost

Options
Hi All

I am getting a single upvc window and external upvc french doors replaced on my property which are being brought in by my builder.
I have 2 questions regarding this.

Firstly. My builder has advised against buying the window and external door from the big chains such as wickes and rather to buy a spectus door and window as its much better quality. Would you agree with this.

Secondly. He has quoted me £450 for the French doors and £300 for the windows (just cost of window/door not fitting). Does this seem to be correct as I can't see spectus publish their prices anywhere online.

Approx size for window opening is 32inches x 60 inches. Top half of window will open outwards.

Door will be 4ft French door fully glazed, standard height

I appreciate it's hard to give accurate price without full detail. I'm just trying to see if it's in the correct ballpark and or if I'm being taken for a ride. Both door and window are going to be basic. Nothing fancy

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    your builder is about right on both counts . You can get cheaper if you shopped around but 450 for a small French door inc glass is about spot on for spectus and 300 is possibly slightly overpriced but not by much . unless your sizes are exact with off the shelf it wont look as good as a properly measured and installed one .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Zuber wrote: »
    Hi All

I am getting a single upvc window and external upvc french doors replaced on my property which are being brought in by my builder.
    I have 2 questions regarding this.

Firstly. My builder has advised against buying the window and external door from the big chains such as wickes and rather to buy a spectus door and window as its much better quality. Would you agree with this.

Secondly. He has quoted me £450 for the French doors and £300 for the windows (just cost of window/door not fitting). Does this seem to be correct as I can't see spectus publish their prices anywhere online.

Approx size for window opening is 32inches x 60 inches. Top half of window will open outwards.

Door will be 4ft French door fully glazed, standard height

I appreciate it's hard to give accurate price without full detail. I'm just trying to see if it's in the correct ballpark and or if I'm being taken for a ride. Both door and window are going to be basic. Nothing fancy

Do you mind letting me know how much the installation would cost? I'm looking into how much to replace double doors at the back. Think they are French doors
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • HGW2012
    HGW2012 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    We recently had a 4ft french door install in our kitchen.
    We had 3 quotes for the supply and install of the door.

First £895
    Second £795
    Third £1200

We went for the first quote £895 mainly because we got the best vibe from him. He was professional, honest and gave us all details on the glass etc used.

We are very happy with the door and the install.

We are in the North East if that makes a difference.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank youuuuu!
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure