What small moneysaving things will you do this week? W/C 11 December

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2017 at 7:54PM
    Morning all :)
    Sorry to hear about your grandad Adventure of Memories :(These things are always hard, but seem even worse at this time of the year.
    CLF those weights sound very heavy - be careful! My bonkers daughter does those muddy obstacle races, and I nag her to take care too :p
    HK Congrats to your DD :T

Had a rotten night with very little sleep, stressing about all sorts of stupid things :mad: Got up early and went out in the pouring rain to sort the garage out to make space for logs that are being delivered today. They will have to come up and be put away in the woodshed at some point, but I will choose a nice day after a good night's sleep for that!
    Anyway, free HG fruit for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit
    Drove to cashpoint to get money to pay for the logs, no time to walk - and it was pouring :(
    Walked dog when the rain eased off - needless to say he didn't want to go far!
    Got chucked off an Ipsos survey, as usual, I simply save the 5 or 10 consolation points they give you each time for the odd voucher :rotfl:
    When the logs come I will need to stack them against the garage wall so I can get the car back in, so plenty more free exercise there :rotfl: Done, OH insisted on helping :eek: :eek: worries me, as he hasn't seen the doctor to get his test results yet, to know what has caused his back problem. Good that he is starting to feel better though!

Must do a shop today, I need a lot too DNMS, and as you say, it is stuff that will last most of the rest of the month. I will need to go to Lidls and Sainsburys but I am not sure if I can face both on the same day, especially after the logs! Maybe just Lidls today. Did both, can't get over how much I spent :eek: but I will only need a few more bits now until after Christmas.
    As well as spending a fortune at the supermarkets, I placed a Campbells order (£58) and had to pay for the logs. Very spendy day!! :eek::eek:
    Need to wrap an ebay sale ready for posting, but I guess that can wait till tomorrow. Still to do, plus another item that sold today
    Got a haggis out of the freezer for dinner (yes, I am still trying to empty it, and yes, there are some weird things at the bottom of it!) so must research how to cook that :huh: Done, Campbells provided the answer - just cut it into thick slices and microwave. It was actually nice with mashed potato, mashed swede and gravy. Wouldn't want it all the time, but fine as a one off (or actually two or more off, as there are a) two slices left, and b) another one in the freezer :rotfl:
    Dog will need another walk Done
    Did a couple more surveys
    Hauled the Christmas tree in and watered it - can't decorate it yet as GD wants to do it :rotfl: But at least it is in!

I am sure there will be more - will update later!
  • DawnW wrote: »
    CLF those weights sound very heavy - be careful! My bonkers daughter does those muddy obstacle races, and I nag her to take care too :p

I will :) don't worry - I have a coach so I'm in as safe hands as I can be. I've been with the same coach since I started and he's always there when I lift.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • DawnW wrote: »
    They will have to come up and be put away in the woodshed at some point, but I will choose a nice day after a good night's sleep for that!

I hope you don't see something nasty in the woodshed :rotfl:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all!

Congrats to your daughter, HappyKitties, you must be very proud of her :)

A late one for me again but I don't care, I napped yesterday evening then worked until the wee small hours then slept again from 5am.

Today is going to be all about cleaning but I'm going to start upstairs today and work my way down instead of the other way round as I never seem to finish.

I too need to go to the sm but I need to retrieve my card from DS first. I will cook the roast tonight that I didn't cook last night (DS wasn't impressed with me falling asleep and serving up sausage roll and chips at 11pm!) I am out of cat food again as I only bought a small box.

Have a good day all!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I am also waiting for a UPS delivery but he usually just leaves a note in the garden store because that's where the sat nav takes you for my postcode.

Last time he left the parcel at a shop on the other side of town which doesn't have extended hours, I'd rather he left it at the one actually on my road (actually, I'd rather he knocked on the front door!) but I had an argument with the guy in there the other day so it might be a bit awkward :rotfl:

The mother and father in there are nice as pie but the grown up son always has an earpiece in and talks on the phone the whole time he is scanning my drop offs and is reluctant to break off to write a receipt.

I dropped off a parcel on Monday and he kept telling me I didn't need a receipt and I kept telling him I'd like me one anyway. Eventually I pointed out that it was part of his job as a UPS agent to give me a receipt and could he do that, please, instead of talking on the phone. He wasn't happy :rotfl:
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Hello,

So far this week as been no spend week :beer:

- Taken DD to dance show
    - Eaten a home from stores, I have taken some bits out of the freezer for the rest of the week.
    -I have won a comp from the other board, I like the advent comps, I will keep doing them.
    - Surveys here and there nothing major, I will keep saving the points.
    - Booked a train ticket to see family in Feb, I need to get a friends and family railcard as it saved loads like £171, I think I will soon have enough Tesco points to get a free one.
    - Done last internet shop due for next week although I will go into store as I noticed the online prices have crept up, so if needed I will cancel it.
    - Heating has been on a fair bit over the last days but I am in credit by a long way
  • DawnW
    I hope you don't see something nasty in the woodshed :rotfl:

Just some spiders but I don't mind those :rotfl:

I love that book, by the way, one of my faves!!
    (it is from Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons if anyone wants a good read and hasn't already read it) :)
  • Well done on the comp win Lottebear

DawnW/B] I bet you've got muscles like Popeye with all that prep from the logs and then factor in the logs arriving. Hope things have settled down, there is nothing worse when u head is going at lightspeed and u can't settle or get a good night's sleep.

DD home tomorrow, can't wait the tree can go up.
    Decided will go shopping today and get my £4 voucher used. It means I can stock up on enough cat stuff to last until after Christmas. Freezer fully stocked but trying to make sure that I have things like potatoes in for jackets or wedges to accompany meals. Hoping that if I get ahead of the game when we are back from Prague will only need cat litter.
    Need to pop to the farm shop and make sure it is a turkey crown I've ordered and not just a turkey. My mum wants to add to the order aswell. Me and DD always go up on Christmas Eve for a cuppa and to pick up the turkey, the queues with everyone picking up their meat order are always mindblowing. The poor farm shop always put everyone's orders separate to the general meats, one year people were just randomly picking up people's orders and trying to buy them. Mum and I always go halves on the order, the meals it continues to produce for the freezer after aswell as cold cuts and chips and meats for rolls always seems never ending. Lasts well into Feb.
    I was so tired last night I went to sleep at 8pm. Woke up at 1am wide awake. Got up to do a few bits and was actually doing some sanding. Will finish that off today and touch up with paint.
    Usual done this morning, cat cleaning all done, dishwasher unloaded after a quick run last night, banking all checked.
    Have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • adventureofmemories
    adventureofmemories Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 12:33PM
    [STRIKE]:rudolf: clean oven[/STRIKE]
    :rudolf: clean/bleach the draining board
    [STRIKE]:rudolf: hang out washing[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]:rudolf: wash bedding[/STRIKE]
    :rudolf: wash up everything
    [STRIKE]:rudolf: shake & vac the floor[/STRIKE]
    :rudolf: try to have some rest
    :rudolf: declutter windowsill in front room
    :rudolf: bleach kitchen & bathroom
    [STRIKE]:rudolf: declutter coffee table[/STRIKE]

I'm home ill... so trying to catch up on a lot of house work jobs that i usually don't get to do.
    Plus it was getting a huge state anyway

My mum & sister is visiting me , they have a few things i need for christmas and also a few things they're giving me such as a hdmi cable so i can use my laptop keyboard and our old tv and modify it into a desktop computer (my laptop died suddenly and my fiancee took it apart to see the trouble ... it was all working apart from the battery...so it'll work as a desktop...with minor spends such as a wifi dongle. Unless he has one i can use)

It pays to have a fiancee who's a software engineer / coder :angel: I'm trying to salvage any part of a laptop to create a working computer so i can use my money towards my emergency fund...
    Debt to fiancee - £404.00 (left to pay) | Save £12,000 in 2018 - £371.90 all together|2,018 items in 2018 (8/2,018)
  • DawnW
    edited 14 December 2017 at 7:38PM
    Morning all :)
    Better night's sleep, but woke late (8am :eek:) so more coffee needed!
    So far:
    Emptied dishwasher
    Had HG cooked fruit from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit :)
    Walked dog :)
    Picked up a carrier bag full of litter from pavement and grass verge outside our terrace :mad:

To do:
    Put up Christmas cards on hanger thing Done, that has got rid of some of the lurkers, at least :)
    Put a stew into the SC for dinner (well, at least 2 dinners as I will make a big one!) Yum! Included the last couple of slices of haggis, 2 wilted spring onions, and a plastic pot of frozen tomato salsa stuff from a jar. Plenty for tomorrow :)
    Wash up things that don't go in the dishwasher, clean sink and tidy kitchen Done
    Start the big pre-Christmas clean, I have decided that today is the day! Hoovered and dusted spare room / loft conversion, cleaned bathroom, made up beds for grand daughters visiting on Monday. This included getting the barrier things out of the loft to prevent the younger one (age 7) falling out of bed, as she tends to, and putting a few boxes of sales stock back in there. Made a start at least!
    Post office with ebay parcels Done
    Pop into my sales unit while out Done, there were a couple of little gaps which I refilled :)
    Check for surveys later, a bit thin on the ground atm Did a couple for Ipsos, finding their website really slow and a pain atm :(
    Recorded spends for last few days in diary, and got rid of receipts :)
    Took a box of bits to the CS while I was out :T Included a branded glass (craft beer brand) spare BBQ tools, several clear glass hyacinth vases (replaced with pretty vintage ones for pennies :)) a dress that is far too Mumsy / granny (though it came from Monsoon, so will be a good thing for the CS to sell) and a Debenhams jacket, also good for CS, but I don't like / wear it, an annoying though pretty Christmas card holder and a sequinned makeup bag, not sure where that came from, as I am neither a sequin type person, nor do I wear makeup :rotfl:
    Didn't spend anything :D Much needed after yesterday's spend fest!! :eek::eek:

That lot should keep me busy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport