PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! Girlfriend bought a house...

Comments

• Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Ask for a Deed of Trust
    Does she has consent to let to you from her mortgage company?
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lysimache wrote: »

Not a requirement unless it's a tenant.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Lysimache wrote: »

What? You don't need this if somebody if living with you. That's if you are renting out the whole property as a HMO or rental unit as a whole.
    Quite clearly states above that this is not the case.
    I think you mean if any member of the family over 17/18 is living with you, they usually need to waive their rights to any interest in the property by signing an Occupiers Consent Form which means they can't claim tenancy in the event the bank needed to repossess. This is at the time the mortgage is taken out.

I think the OP should buy his own house and not ride on the coat tails of his girlfriend. A year is nothing and seeking a financial interest in a property in Central London which has been paid for by his girlfriend (who is apparently not the breadwinner) is just greed.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Ask for a Deed of Trust
    Some mortgage companies disagree and count subletting as a reason to get consent to let too.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Trust her and just be a tenant paying rent
    So, you'll be saving over £400 a month.

Put that into a savings account. Then, if things don't work out, you will have money saved for a deposit to rent pr buy your own place, if things go well, then in another year or two, you will have a lump sum to put into the house and at that point, can suggest a declaration of trust.

But for now, don't be greedy. You're getting cheaper accommodation and you are early in the relationship.

If at some stage the house does need major works doing you have a conversation at that point about what you will do, and whether that will result in you gaining an interest in the house.

It sounds as though your girlfriend is being very sensible, and ensuring that, for the present, while the relationship is so new, she keeps the situation with her property simple.

By all means have a conversation with her about what she sees happening in the future - whether she anticipates you going onto the house deeds and mortgage at some point in the future. But be ware that you may find she would rather remain in control of her own finances, in which case, keep saying the £400 + you're saving on rent every month
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 October 2017 at 10:03AM
    Lysimache wrote: »
    Some mortgage companies disagree and count subletting as a reason to get consent to let too.

You don't seem to understand sub-letting or the difference between a lover/partner, lodger or tenant.

OP, if you move in, just pay half of the bills, not the mortgage. Yes you will save loads, so do that until you either have enough to buy into half the property, or use to move on together and buy jointly, or buy your own.

I wouldn't let anyone buy into my property, but horses for courses. My mate did and is blissfully happy (and now married to him). I'm twice divorced so see things differently.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 11:16PM
    umm hope she isn't reading this, maybe try asking your current LL if he might consider giving you some equity in his house.

I think the fact that you aren't buying the property together tells the story and answers your question.
  • ed67812
    ed67812 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm intrigued.

How are you the "breadwinner" yet she has, even if the deposit was paid by parents, managed to convince a mortgage company that she can pay the best part of £1500 a month (and more because her application would be stress tested)?
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Interesting how when a man is moving in with a girlfriend people see him as the greedy one but when women do it to men its not.

I read the OP as saying hes paying half her mortgage costs, and whilst its a saving to him he still is as stated, paying half her mortgage (and the repairs) so she is benefitting more and should they split she has had the months/years paid for her and he has nothing.

And whos the say the OP wouldn't of bought a house himself further down the line had he been single.

The moral side of it is that whilst hes saving money hes paying for her, he is also saving her money on mortgage, council tax, utilties and her visiting him and has someone to share chores or work to the house with difference being at the end she has the home and he hasn't.

So difficult one.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Amazing. The number of people that can't see this as a mutually beneficial arrangement.

I'm so glad I live inside this particular head. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure