Bulb Energy - bogus reviews on TrustPilot?

Options
I recently had a look around at all the energy companies as we're due to switch this month, and I remember looking at Bulb Energy and rejecting them based on their terrible Trust Pilot reviews. I've gone back to look again at what's available today and suddenly there are a number of glowing reviews, all in the last week or so, and all touting their 'money saving' code that could save them and us £50. I smell a giant rat, what are the chances that these reviews are for real?

Comments

• st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm with Bulb and I think they are wonderful also if someone switches to them using my code we both get £50.

And you wonder why they are getting good reviews?
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have recently switched to bulb aswell, and used a code to get £50 and also referred friends with the code.
  • loo
    loo Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Read Which instead of Trust Pilot then?

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/11/how-long-does-your-energy-company-keep-you-on-hold/

Which? Mag rate Bulb as the faster energy company phone answerer in the UK

Louise
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    loo wrote: »
    Read Which instead of Trust Pilot then?

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/11/how-long-does-your-energy-company-keep-you-on-hold/

Which? Mag rate Bulb as the faster energy company phone answerer in the UK

Louise

I am not sure that I would regard answering the telephone quickly as being indicative of a good supplier. I would happily wait 5 minutes on the phone provided that, when I spoke to someone, he/she dealt with my enquiry in a quick and effective manner.
  • lyntwyn
    lyntwyn Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have checked the reviews on Trustpilot, but they are obviously not genuine reviews, albeit probably from genuine customers. But they have to provide five star reviews if they want their £50 referral reward. I have complained to Trustpilot and Bulb a few times as I am looking for meaningful reviews before I consider moving my business to them. I thought reviews in exchange for reward was illegal, but probably not. This should be something trading standards may be interested in pursuing.
  • System
    Options
    lyntwyn wrote: »
    I have checked the reviews on Trustpilot, but they are obviously not genuine reviews, albeit probably from genuine customers. But they have to provide five star reviews if they want their £50 referral reward. I have complained to Trustpilot and Bulb a few times as I am looking for meaningful reviews before I consider moving my business to them. I thought reviews in exchange for reward was illegal, but probably not. This should be something trading standards may be interested in pursuing.

That isn't true, and I have to ask 'what proof do you actually have to support your claim'?. I was with Bulb and I haven't posted any reviews On Trustpilot et al. My immediate family and friends have been able to get a referral fee credit. Bulb's takeover of my supply was troubled free, and their billing accurate. I am now just waiting for a Final Bill. I would happily have stayed with them; however, recent market indicators pointed to the security of a fixed tariff that Bulb does not offer.
  • N1ckS
    N1ckS Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure there is an element of bias based on the referral programme but genuinely I feel they're a good company. When I switched from EDF I was unable to provide a final reading as I was away at the time and EDF massively overestimated my usage during the final couple of months with them. I contacted Bulb who worked out a genuine estimate based on my usage with them and they handled communication with EDF who then provided a refund via cheque.

Have a look at their blog, I reckon it gives a good indication of the sort of company they are:
    https://bulb.co.uk/blog
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • System
    Options
    The bit that I was contesting was the assertion that:

Quote: But they have to provide five star reviews if they want their £50 referral reward Unquote
  • dm800
    dm800 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I gave up on trustpilot reviews years ago to be honest. I tend to ask peoples opinions on forums that I use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback