Credit note instead of refund even when tickets resold

Options
Hope someone can advise on this. We had four tickets for a local, small library theatre venue. We knew the day before the show that two of our party wouldn't be able to go because of illness so rang the theatre. They advised that they had a waiting list and would be able to resell the tickets. We know they did because we went and two people were sitting next to us. I'd assumed we'd get a refund but on checking we've been told 'no,' it's a credit note, £54 worth. I'm just curious as to how a venue can justify this as basically it means they've had a double bite (for a while at least) on two tickets, inasmuch as they've sold them twice. I can't imagine us going to the venue again for a while, we only go a couple of times a year. Is this is a common practice and if it is, how can venues justify it?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Common practice would be no refund at all, or you having to sell on viagogo and being charged a significant fee.

I'd be grateful for any kind of refund.
  • Sarastro
    Options
    They haven't sold them twice. The tickets were returned (for them to do with as they please) and in exchange they've given you a credit note. Up to you if you use it or not. They probably do this because they are a small venue. I'd probably just hold out for something worth seeing and go see it.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's fairly common and not unreasonable.It will be in the standard terms and conditions.

Most venues do this. The only time I can think of where I had a refund rather than a credit voucher was when I had to return one of the tickets I had for the Benedict Cumberbatch 'Hamlet' at the Barbican. I don't know whether they normally do refunds or whether it was part of their attempt to cut down on scalpers and reselling.

Since you say you go a couple of times a year you should be able to use your credit note.

A lot of smaller venues just have the tickets s non returnable, and if you can't go, you're out of pocket.

Venues can justify it the same way as shops can, when they give you an exchange rather than a refund if you change your mind. They've sold you the ticket, it isn't their fault if you then change you mind, or have something come up.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure