Vpn

Avast are offering a " VPN Line" privacy arrangement at £1.99 per month for two years.
It says that all my banking , purchases etc will be encrypted and safe from hackers.
Is it worth subscribing ?
Forgotten but not gone.

Comments

• The Opera Brower comes with VPN for Free.

Just switch it on or off as desired.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are you asking about portable device VPN, to use public wifi with more security, or home use? Home VPN shouldn't be needed unless you're trying to access geolocked content. And with any VPN, how do you trust all your data now going through a 3rd party VPNs servers?

E.g, recent article says there's a strong possibility that Kaspersky AVG exfiltrated files from US spooks computers to Russia.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The Opera Brower comes with VPN for Free.

Just switch it on or off as desired.

It doesn't allow you to log into accounts that require a username and password though. At least not for me.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• >Is it worth subscribing ?<

All the banks use https so you're data is already encrypted, this offer is just a catch-penny
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Sicard wrote: »
    It doesn't allow you to log into accounts that require a username and password though. At least not for me.
    No problem logging into sites with Opera VPN with User and password.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Sicard wrote: »
    The free Opera VPN works OK but is short on options such as setting the exit point and so your apparent location. I suspect your login issue is because the specific site doesn't want to let your login through as you are apparently located abroad.

TunnelBear is free and lets you choose your location but is limited data (1.5GB if you tweet for an extra GB). That should be plenty for the occasions you use open public WiFi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure