Crosse & Blackwell baked beans

Tried these the other day.

Small, hard beans (and not very many, either), swimming in a watery, sour sauce.

Yuk!
"Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    only 44% beans and watery 3/4 full tin.
    Back to Branston 4 me
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They were nice years ago but it has to Branston for me now too, Heinz at a push.
    :)
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Absolutely Branston - why didn't I know about them years ago?
  • nenni
    nenni Posts: 18 Forumite
    We have always preferred Branston especially as they are often on offer 4 for £1 in lidl, but last week i had some from Tesco and must of been a duff batch. Opened them to find literally 20 beans could just about fit them all on a teaspoon the rest was just juice:eek:
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2011 at 8:53AM
    i havent had crosse and blackwell beans for awhile but last time i had them they were fine abit watery granted but not too bad, since then i've bene well stocked with branstons but i'm running out and we only have a tesco so there rarely on offer, i'm wondering if i should buy the ones on amazon now that are around 33p a tin, if the c&b ones are so bad now

EDIT after i posted that i checked tesco and they have 3 for £1 however amazon ones are still cheaper by 1p if your have room for 24 tins of beans
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Bought some of the 4 for £1 from Iceland. Wish I hadn't. As said above 1/4 juice and the beans weren't great. I didn't expect this from Crosse and Blackwell. A Value or betterbuy product maybe but these were not labelled as a value range.
    I'm scared to open the Crosse and Blackwell spaghetti 4 for £1 that I bought at the same time!
    I searched for a website for crosse and blackwell but couldn't find one. On the tin says premierfoods but no mention of C&B on that website. I've filled in their contact us but don't expect any reply. If I do get a response I'll post on here
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    web_ferret wrote: »
    Bought some of the 4 for £1 from Iceland. Wish I hadn't. As said above 1/4 juice and the beans weren't great. I didn't expect this from Crosse and Blackwell. A Value or betterbuy product maybe but these were not labelled as a value range.
    I'm scared to open the Crosse and Blackwell spaghetti 4 for £1 that I bought at the same time!
    I searched for a website for crosse and blackwell but couldn't find one. On the tin says premierfoods but no mention of C&B on that website. I've filled in their contact us but don't expect any reply. If I do get a response I'll post on here

I take it 1 didnt go deeper in terms of research, this should answer your question as to who owns C&B, the tin was old stock with the old details on. It seems the C&B products were split up at some point as this company sell the hot snack foods of the C&B name.
  • I buy Crosse & Blackwell and Branston beans. If you mix 50% of the C&B with 50% Branston beans it does taste good and it works out cheaper stretching the Branston beans out this way. You can always add tomato puree for a thicker tomato sauce.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    web_ferret wrote: »
    Bought some of the 4 for £1 from Iceland. Wish I hadn't. As said above 1/4 juice and the beans weren't great. I didn't expect this from Crosse and Blackwell. A Value or betterbuy product maybe but these were not labelled as a value range.

I bought the beans and spaghetti while they were on offer and was very disappointed with both in fact I would say they were horrible.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • web_ferret
    web_ferret Posts: 252 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2011 at 8:04PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I take it 1 didnt go deeper in terms of research, this should answer your question as to who owns C&B, the tin was old stock with the old details on. It seems the C&B products were split up at some point as this company sell the hot snack foods of the C&B name.

Thanks for the info. Premierfoods haven't responded to my email.

I've been on the Iceland website and in contact us under the dropdown box there is no option for a complaint! What a great way to reduce the number of complaints!

https://www.iceland.co.uk/contact-us/

Anyway submitted my comments about Icelands beans via the Product option and submitted a link back to here
    Thank you for your enquiry

Thank you for getting in touch.
    We aim to respond to your query within 48 hours.

I'll post Icelands response if I get one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure