PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Oil on Clothes

Options

Comments

• buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    I dont know if this will work on cooking oil, but I got bike oil off my sons new school shirt with carpet shampoo, after trying washing up liquid
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    stardrops!!
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Old trick I learnt years ago was to put talc on the stain before anything else,this absorbs most of the oil,leave for a good while and if the talc becomes wet just put on more talc,then rinse off with COLD water,rub in fairy green household soap and wash as normal,voila no more stains,by the way the talc also works well on driveway oil stains!
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    Put paper underneath material where stain is and sprinkle bicarb on stain and cover with paper. Then iron over the top so as to melt the oil into the bicarb. Keep repeating.
  • djhworld
    Options
    Okay so had a little accident earlier, opened a cupboard door and a bottle of sunflower oil dropped out and splashed all over the bottom of my jeans!

Any tips on getting the stain out, or will a cycle in the machine do the job?
    Can I afford to buy? Mortgage Affordability Calculator

https://caniaffordtobuy.co.uk/
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Washing up liquid is designed to tackle vegetable oils. Rub a little in before you put it through the wash.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    yes i was going to say the same, would probably give the affected bit a wash with hot water and washing up liquid then pop in the machine
  • kittykat500
    Options
    Does washing up liquid work on dried in oil stains as well?
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Nothing ventured...i don't see why not. If it's a stubborn one, try using water and washing up liquid and giving it a rub? It depends on the material. I'd be worried about anything very delicate.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi djhworld,

We have an older thread on a similar topic that might help:Oily marks on clothes

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport