Free Text Adventure Game for pc

altojack
altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 1 February 2016 at 1:44PM in Freebies (no spend required)
Anyone remember ZX Sinclair Spectrum? I loved the text adventure games on them. I have come across this

http://www.grahamcluley.com/humbug.html

and wondered if anyone has used it and if it is any good. Hope it is ok

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.

Comments

• Thanks but it will not run on my computer.
    running windows 7 64 bit.
  • Sowilo_2
    Sowilo_2 Posts: 302 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2009 at 8:50PM
    Have scanned with avast & malware bytes. It is clean.
    Download v,quick. am about to try it with Windows Vista.
    Addition; Does not seem to work with Vista either. Unzipped files but cannot decode the text or open some of the files.
    Shame, I have been looking for this type of game. Anyone know of any would be very grateful if you could message me.
    A fool may give advice but the one who takes it is the bigger fool.
  • altojack
    Awwww sorry it wasn't any good. I too am looking for games where I can type in instructions and solve things like the old game 'The Crystal Frog' and 'The Island', they were on ZX Spectrum Sinclair.
    I'd love to know if there are any available to play on pc, i'm on Vista too:confused:

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

• albionwarrior
    albionwarrior Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 January 2010 at 12:29PM
    Don't know if this will help,it's an emulator for sinclair spectrum games.

http://www.spectaculator.com/

haven't tried it myself yet.

just found this site :

http://www.classic-pc-games.com/spectrum/index.html
  • altojack
    I'm not very techie minded so will ask my son to take a look for me. Thanks for the link

• wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    altojack wrote: »
    Awwww sorry it wasn't any good. I too am looking for games where I can type in instructions and solve things like the old game 'The Crystal Frog' and 'The Island', they were on ZX Spectrum Sinclair.
    I'd love to know if there are any available to play on pc, i'm on Vista too:confused:

Try here...
    http://www.ifarchive.org/

You will probably need a dos emulator to play most of them which is easily found and very simple to install.

Have fun;)
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • kacetwo
    kacetwo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Works fine in DOSBOX. I have found a torch, a barring monkey and a trombone so far. When I play the trombone it goes Phaarp.

Looks like I need to keep going to find out why there is a time machine in a crate.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kacetwo wrote: »
    I have found a torch, a barring monkey and a trombone so far. When I play the trombone it goes Phaarp.

Looks like I need to keep going to find out why there is a time machine in a crate.
    LOL that kind of nonsensical stuff brings back memories of my own mostly failed experiences of those type of games back in the days of the Spectrum :D
  • rpb
    rpb Posts: 129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Worked OK for me on Windows Vista SP2, so I imagine it would work fine on Windows 7 as well.

I downloaded (v. quick - 165kb - ah, those were the days...), then right-clicked on the "humbug50.exe" file, chose Properties, picked the Compatibility tab, and chose "Windows 95". I then ran the program and realised that the download was a self-extracting archive that had unzipped itself into seven other files. I set the compatibility of the newly-extracted "humbug.exe" file to Windows 95 as well and it ran fine, although it also ran fine before I'd done this.
  • If you google spectrum games a great website called 'worldofspectrum' comes up. Not been on for a few years but used to have great fun - thousands of speccy games (including adventure games) to play. Great for nostalgia. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure