Microsoft Surface Pro 4 or Macbook Pro 13"

Comments

• gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RumRat,
    That was VERY interesting.......
    I know I don't deserve either of them!!!
    but.........hey ho, I will enjoy it,
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think it's a lot of money to spend when you're not sure on the form factor, it may be worth considering maybe buying a standard iPad or Android tablet first and see how you get on with it. If you find it doesn't do everything you want then you can look at getting a normal laptop to go with it.

Although I'm generally a Microsoft fan, I'm not keen on the Surface (I realise it has its fans) as I don't think Windows works that well with only a touchscreen whereas Android and IOS both work well as touch only devices as it's the way they're meant to work. As a laptop the Surface isn't that great either as it doesn't have such a solid base so it really needs to be on a solid surface rather than on a lap.

John
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Its worth bearing in mind these arent the only two machines out there.

I've just bought a HP Envy 13 i7. Beautiful machine.

Light, easy to use, fast and significantly less than the equivalent Macbook.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-13-d053sa-13-3-laptop-aluminium-10137768-pdt.html

OR the same machine with a slightly slower i5 processor

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-13-d061sa-13-3-laptop-aluminium-10137769-pdt.html
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    I'd also encourage you to revise your search a little to see what other options there are. If you're not really going to trouble the device you get with anything beyond some casual browsing, frankly anything will do that. The other week I bought a (clearance) £60 Windows tablet from Chris BNIB and with a free 1 year £60 Office 365 subscription, so there are certainly bargains to be had. I if that so I could run some Windows software on a portable slab. It's not a great tablet, but it was effectively free, and it's certainly worth a lot more than that.

Of the two, I'd say go with the surface tablet, but if you broaden your search you could get a device for browsing and odd mails for next to nothing, have a holiday, and still have enough to replace it in 5 years with another new machine that'll probably outperform whatever you're considering right now!
  • gatita
    Forumite
    I am ALMOST decided on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 I5 processor 128.
    Dare I ask where would be the best place to buy it, (best price!!)
    Thank you all again
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    gatita wrote: »
    I am ALMOST decided on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 I5 processor 128.
    Dare I ask where would be the best place to buy it, (best price!!)
    Thank you all again

£732.95 - http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=33084&setcurrency=gbp&gclid=CI29_qanqMsCFQLkwgod7Z0APQ

(Beware with the above as this is not a site I've personally used so I have no idea if they're trustworthy or not)

BT are selling them for £834 - http://www.shop.bt.com/products/microsoft-surface-pro-4-intel-core-i5-4gb-128gb-ssd-12-3--windows-10-professional-64-bit-9py-00002-BQ00.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=PLA%20|%20Shopping%20|%20All%20Products&gclid=COC9246oqMsCFUa4Gwod_YsI5A

Or Microsoft Directly for £849 - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Surface-Pro-4/productID.326546100
  • gatita
    Forumite
    AJXX Thank you for that information, I looked into the simplyelectronics, but they have dreadful reviews on Trust Pilot so I will give them a miss, (shame as their prices are great!)
    I really appreciate your advise and help again
  • I bought my surface pro 3 a year ago from a company on eBay called Electronic king. They seem to source them from US but keep stock in EU. The prices are cheaper than I found in UK and I was able to haggle the type cover down to £50,although it is an American layout. Shipping was fast and arrived in good condition. They shipped the wrong sized HDD version but sorted it out quickly and delivered the replacement to me while on a trip to Germany.

It had a problem with the surface pen app and Microsoft support were excellent. They picked it up on Monday afternoon and shipped a replacement for Germany to uk by Friday morning of the same week. They would also ship a replacement immediately without waiting to receive mine if I let them authorise an amount on my credit card.

This just my experience with Electronic King and Microsoft support in case it helps
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why a Surface pro and not looking at the Surface book?
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    gatita wrote: »
    I have an awful decision to make lol, I have to choose between one or the other! I have the feeling the MacBook is too "clever" for me! I just want it to surf the net, do emails play some games, no tricky office work etc.
    I would really appreciate peoples opinions on which one I should choose, (or any other make).
    Thank you

For what you want to use it for, a MacBook is a phenomenal amount of money to drop on an item where a £250 windows laptop will do all that for you really easily, just invest in a virus checker...
    you could even consider an ipad mini and bluetooth keyboard...

No idea about cost/usability of surface pro, I am an "apple fanboi" and have only used apple stuff for a number of years now, other than my parents £200 windows laptop that they use for internet, email and uploading their digital photos to...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure