Ebay scam?

Am i being scammed? I just sold a smartphone on eBay to a buyer with no feedback. This wasnt an issue until i received a message from the buyer:
I just won the auction for your eBay item ,
kindly send me pictures of the item including a PayPal invoice of £540 for the Panasonic camera and £8 for shipping to
(*@*.net)
I look forward to your reply asap so I can complete Payment today
note : Shipping should be via Royalmail special delivery before 1pm
Cheers

Clearly he's saying he bid on a "panasonic camera"? the auction was very clear and included pictures of the smartphone.

First time this has happened to me, what are my options? They've not paid yet.

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    i would send a message to the seller through the ebay message service asking if they got you mixed up with another item then bid on
  • Mexas
    Mexas Posts: 152 Forumite
    i would send a message to the seller through the ebay message service asking if they got you mixed up with another item then bid on

Unfortunately I went a bit ott on my message to them, this is what i wrote
    Hello. You were clearly bidding on a Samsung Galaxy S8 smart phone. What do you mean panasonic camera? Please make payment or i will report you to ebay for none payment. Regards

Waiting for a reply. How long do you have to wait until you can contact ebay for none payment?
  • angryparcel
    Mexas wrote: »
    Waiting for a reply. How long do you have to wait until you can contact ebay for none payment?
    I am sure it is 8 days, but if you go into the resolution centre and try it will then tell you that you cannot open a case until ** days
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Someone with zero feedback bidding on a high end smartphone is almost guaranteed to be up to no good - there is a high chance you will not get paid and - i always say no bids with feedback below 10 and must be to a confirmed uk paypal address for a high risk item like a smartphone
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Not the most conciliatory message to a new buyer who might just have had a slip of a brain cell...as you say, completely OTT. Ebay really does bring out aggression/funny behaviours in people who wouldn't normally behave in such a manner.
  • Mexas
    boliston wrote: »
    Someone with zero feedback bidding on a high end smartphone is almost guaranteed to be up to no good - there is a high chance you will not get paid and - i always say no bids with feedback below 10 and must be to a confirmed uk paypal address for a high risk item like a smartphone

How do you manage this though? is it just text in the product description?

As far i can see there are no options to stop zero feedback users.
  • angryparcel
    Someone with zero feedback bidding on a high end smartphone is almost guaranteed to be up to no good
    Everyone has to start somewhere, you don't join eBay and get given a feedback score.
  • angryparcel
    How do you manage this though? is it just text in the product description?

As far i can see there are no options to stop zero feedback users.

if you go into your account settings and then find Site preferences and then scroll down and look for Buyer requirements and then you can chose how to blocker certain buyers

i have mine set as
    Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 6 month(s)
    Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
    Have 4 policy breaches reported within 6 month(s)
    Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
    Have no credit card on file
    Are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am sure it is 8 days, but if you go into the resolution centre and try it will then tell you that you cannot open a case until ** days
    Unfortunately I went a bit ott on my message to them, this is what i wrote

That does seem aggressive , sometimes even when you are in this situation you can make it worse by being threatening. It is always worth just staying calm and polite and using the NPB system without the need to warn the buyer first.

An NPB case can be opened after 48 hours and then closed 4 days after that if no payment has been received.

Which is of course meaningless and carries no weight at all on eBay. You cannot stop new users and the notion of confirmed addresses only is about 10 years out of date . For PayPal seller protection you need the address to show as 'OK to send' , have a read of the sticky postage thread.

OP Youc an set your seller preferences quite tight if you wish, in. Particular you can prevent users with less than 5 feedback from bidding only if you opt for the option 'needs a card registered on eBay'
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mexas
    if you go into your account settings and then find Site preferences and then scroll down and look for Buyer requirements and then you can chose how to blocker certain buyers

i have mine set as

Thanks I have made the adjustments. Do you also block buyers who Don't have a PayPal account?

I guess I'll have to wait to see if they pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure