Buy ethereum uk

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2017 at 6:40PM
    The main point I was trying to make is about the intangibility, not the value (or price).

The point about lack of underlying value is that a Bitcoin has no constituent parts. It is pure information.

If the system that identifies ownership of a Bitcoin loses trust, then the information becomes completely valueless.

But to re-iterate a question that never gets answered: why do people think that there is a fundamental reason why (say) Ethereum should go UP in price/value versus (say) the USD? Other than the fact that it has done so in the past.
  • realdannys
    realdannys Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fwor wrote: »
    The main point I was trying to make is about the intangibility, not the value (or price).

The point about lack of underlying value is that a Bitcoin has no constituent parts. It is pure information.

If the system that identifies ownership of a Bitcoin loses trust, then the information becomes completely valueless.

But to re-iterate a question that never gets answered: why do people think that there is a fundamental reason why (say) Ethereum should go UP in price/value versus (say) the USD? Other than the fact that it has done so in the past.

What your describing is exactly the same for every currency. The USD has no value either. Just because it's linked to what America can do and is a lot less likely to completely crash, it still can - captalislim could completely fail, you could end up in a worse situation than Germany after WW2 with wheelbarrows of cash.

Why would you invest in ETH instead of USD? Because USD is stable and unlikely to change and you'd not make any money. ETH is high risk but means you could make money obviously.

It's irrelevant that it isn't physical and has no value. Your art could get damaged and be worthless, your antique could burn away - they are delicate perishable items.

Stocks have no value - if the company goes bust, your stock isn't worth anything. This is no different. Yes of course you're gambling on the value going up, as you are for absolutely everything single high risk investment as I've already said SEIS, EIS, penny stocks - you're gambling on them going up in value, often with even LESS information than that is what has happened before.

It's not for everyone, but then neither is building a solar, or gambling on the fact that certain classic cars will go up in value. It's all an educated guess. None of these things are any different than each other - they're just on varying risk levels - you might as well be calling them widgets.
  • fwor
    realdannys wrote: »
    Why would you invest in ETH instead of USD? Because USD is stable and unlikely to change and you'd not make any money. ETH is high risk but means you could make money obviously.

But you avoided the question. Why do you think the price is going to go up?

I'm not buying US dollars as an investment against Sterling, because I've no reason to believe that its price will rise against Sterling. What is fundamentally different about Ethereum or Bitcoin or whatever crypto-currency that makes you think a rise in price against, say, the US dollar is more likely than a fall?
  • realdannys
    fwor wrote: »
    But you avoided the question. Why do you think the price is going to go up?

I'm not buying US dollars as an investment against Sterling, because I've no reason to believe that its price will rise against Sterling. What is fundamentally different about Ethereum or Bitcoin or whatever crypto-currency that makes you think a rise in price against, say, the US dollar is more likely than a fall?

You mean, you want some kind of news story, like "Amazon accepts X coin" and thus the price would increase?

I mean there are very few reasons why any volatile asset increases or decrease, if it was as easy as it being used somewhere, everyone would easily invest and become rich. Obviously it's a gamble - all stocks are.

Fortune have an article on why BitCoin has recently reached its current high - I'm not allowed to post links, but Google it, it provides three reasons for recent surge.

and for Ethereum - coin telegraph has an article on the reasons for it's recent rise.

At the moment pretty much every cryptocurrency across the board is rising, and there are hundreds of them.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 June 2017 at 9:05PM
    And what isn't a highly speculative asset class? It's not more so than penny stocks, stocks in general, stock ISA's, EIS, SEIS schemes, heck just starting any sort of business with a high initial outlay. They're all high risk. Cryptocurrency is no different.

The above is just ludicrous.

Both cash ISAs and stocks and shares ISAs are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and are as such guaranteed up to £85k.

Care to explain who is guaranteeing your crypto currency "investments"?

As it happens I am looking to make a speculative Eth purchase, but to say its as safe as an s&s ISA is just insane.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Surely a prime requirement for a viable currency is that its value against a basket of goods is fairly stable. Currency deflation is far worse for an economy than inflation as there is a strong incentive for people not to spend money.

How can any of these crypto currencies be both good investments and viable currencies? If they arent viable currencies what real value do they have? Perhaps the same as cabbage patch dolls or beanie babies if anyone remembers them.
  • realdannys
    I did agree with your first post, but the above is just ludicrous.

Both cash ISAs and stocks and shares ISAs are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and are as such guaranteed up to £85k.

Care to explain who is guaranteeing your crypto currency "investments"?

As it happens I am looking to make a speculative Eth purchase, but to say its as save as an ISA is just insane.

Haha what?? Thats a guarantee if the bank goes bust, not if you lose your money investing in bad shares!
    You've just shown your don't understand what either ISA FSCS is, nor what a Cryptocurrency is - being decentralised there is no need for compensation as there is no main bank holding any asset to go bust.

Either way, none of these things are protection for you losing all your money through a bad investment.
  • realdannys
    Linton wrote: »
    Perhaps the same as cabbage patch dolls or beanie babies if anyone remembers them.

Yeah, maybe, but they didn't increase in value for 7 years - nor did they ever go from being worth $1 to $2800.

There's a very strange suspicion of Cryptocurrencies on here. As if they were just invented yesterday. This is quite old technology now - Asia has invested billions into it. It's the mining side you should be suspicious of (or rather the mining rigs) not the actual currencies.

I'm not saying using it, spending it, investing in it, working with it, mining it or reading about is for everyone - but most of the questions and fears here are on a very basic level.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!

Stocks have no value - if the company goes bust, your stock isn't worth anything. This is no different. Yes of course you're gambling on the value going up, as you are for absolutely everything single high risk investment as I've already said SEIS, EIS, penny stocks - you're gambling on them going up in value, often with even LESS information than that is what has happened before.

This is just rubbish. A shareholder is a part owner of the company. Are you claiming that Apple for example has no value? Sure it could go bust but then any asset is capable of being lost, going out out of fashion or being outmoded by technology but at least with shares there is a real underlying asset. One cant say that about ethereum or bitcoin. If it, in its current form, doesnt turn into a viable currency it is merely a row of bits of no more value than any other row of bits.
  • fwor
    Linton wrote: »
    How can any of these crypto currencies be both good investments and viable currencies? If they arent viable currencies what real value do they have?

Exactly. Imagine being a retailer, quoting prices on your UK website in both Sterling and (say) Bitcoin, while the exchange rate between the two is lurching about all over the place. I can't really see that happening while the crypto-currencies lack any stability.

A good example would be where a retailer sells something paid for in Bitcoin and then 10 minutes later yet another fraud is revealed within Bitcoin's infrastructure and the exchange rate plummets - and suddenly the retailer is out of pocket.

Either the retailer has to become a currency exchange rate speculator, or he has to pay someone to take that risk for him - and that is not likely to be cheap...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure