The best student mobile phone deals?

Comments

• Thanks for that,

i told orange that my father has been on orange for 10 years, and whether that gave any discounts because he would be paying for two accounts. They never mentioned the family thing though, but i will look into it thanks smcir
  • jenny_f
    jenny_f Posts: 905 Forumite
    I know that 3 have a lot of good deals some of which work out at £10 a month. Slightly complicated in that they are usually around £30 a month but you get various cashback payments making it quite a good deal. It might be worth checking out. I viewed it on either the 3 site or on phones 4 u site
  • Ok well best places for phones i have found, are the online shops.

Onestopphoneshop and e2save

I got an LG U8360 (top of the range phone) on a 12 month contract with 3, this was on the Video, Talk and Text 700 Package, which gives you 400 minutes to anyone anytime, 250 texts, £5 of downloads and 25 multimedia messages (or video minutes).

Normally this should cost £35 a month, but as with all these offers (mainly on these sites) they have offers via redemption. So i got it so i shall be paying £2.99 for 9 months and then £35 for the final 3 months (i am on a 12 month contract).

So that brings the cost to 9*2.99 + 3*35 = £131.91

But i was able to say my dad 'referred me' which means they will send a £30 cheque to my dad (as he had previously purchased from CPW) and he will give me £30 as well, so this brings the cost to £101,91 for 12 months, and that my friends comes to £8-50 a month.

Now for a top spec phone, and all the minutes, texts and everything else, it should do me just fine at uni, and i cannot see myself going over those limits. I was previously on Talk and Text 600 (500 mins and 100 texts) and i had trouble sticking to 100 texts (this was the contract under my dads name - which effectively came to 12 months free contract).

So thats just the HU, however the problem is that the full amount, i.e. £35 has to be paid at the end of each month, and then reclaimed. So they rely on the fact that you will either not claim back, or just forget etc.

So it may not be the best deal for students, but im gonna give it a try!

Ian
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,078
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you do take out a contract for a phone, please remember to use a PIN to limit access to it. I have just got a bill for over £100 on my daughter's phone as someone made a load of overseas calls on it before it could be reported stolen.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • I agree that the O2 online offer is good at £19 per month and choice of either 500 texts and 50mins or 100 mins and 50 texts
    nice one though is that as a student if you ring them and ask for the student package ( you will need your UCAS number ) then you can get the S/ Ericson K750i for ONLY £4.99 instead of the usual charge of £29.99 if you are not a student .
    The phone is free if you pay for a £25 per month contract
    My daughter has just had hers del'd ready for Uni
    Hope this helps
  • What do you think is better....

1)Sim Online Off peak - £20.00 - 600 Offpeak minutes -1000 texts SIM ONLY

or

2)£19 - 50 minutes anytime - 500 texts - with brand new phone (not that i need one)

The question for me is whether id like the option to phone home during the evenings (off peak) so take option 1 or if id like to get a new phone and sell that on.

Thoughts?
  • smcicr
    smcicr Posts: 365 Forumite
    I know it's more expensive and you know what usage patterns you have but if there is a chance you will be using the phone in peak times (this is in relation to option 1) then you may end up paying more than £20 pm anyway - if so then how about this from O2?:

SIM Online 200 Extra
    400 Xnet Mins and 1000 Texts for £30 PM
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." (Mark Twain)
  • wow, so if i ring up o2 for the £19 a month 50min 500text, the k750i is only £5?

I will do that tomorrow
  • im expecting that during the day i can use the texts and in the evening i can make calls etc. £20 is about my limit so i think that 600 off peak minutes and 1000 texts is pretty reasonable for what im after.

if anyone knows of any better tariffs for about £20 pm then id be interested. Im not bothered if calls are off peak etc.

• wow, so if i ring up o2 for the £19 a month 50min 500text, the k750i is only £5?

I will do that tomorrow

that sounds like a good deal but for me im happy with my d500 so id rather have 600 off peak minutes than 50 anytimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure