PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Defrosting freezers

Just out of interest, how often do you defrost your freezer(s)?😀

Comments

• Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't have a set routine, it's just "as and when". Must confess I put it off as much as possible! Fortunately I have another small freezer in the garage so just transfer everything to that and use a hairdryer to defrost the one in the kitchen.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    When it needs it - i.e. when the ice starts to build to a level that the drawers become difficult to slide in and out. I guess on average it'll be about every 4 or 5 months or so for me, but it's going to vary depending on the style and make of the freezer, how often the door is opened, how humid the environment is, etc.
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Should do it more often but because we only have a 3 drawer freezer and its a nightmare trying to get everything back in before it starts defrosting i tend to wait till November time so its nice for Xmas food.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm about to do mine for the first time. 2½ drawers, I bought it 3 years ago. The top basket's now sticking ... and I've been sort of running the freezer down for weeks/months.... but now it's reached critical so I'll be doing it next month as I can't eat it all faster than that :)

I've never actually defrosted one before, so not sure what to expect.....
  • I've been sort of running the freezer down for weeks/months....I've never actually defrosted one before, so not sure what to expect.....

If you stack all the food in a pile and wrap it with a winter duvet it will stay cold for plenty long enough to defrost (the bigger the pile the slower it will thaw). Be careful with hairdryers, they can melt/warp the lining of the freezer, I stand some oven trays full of boiling water in the freezer and close the door for 15 mins. Make sure you have plenty of old towels to hand to mop the meltwater off the floor. A plastic scraper will help get the ice off, but make sure it is soft enough not to scratch (mine came with the freezer).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »
    If you stack all the food in a pile and wrap it with a winter duvet it will stay cold for plenty long enough to defrost (the bigger the pile the slower it will thaw). Be careful with hairdryers, they can melt/warp the lining of the freezer, I stand some oven trays full of boiling water in the freezer and close the door for 15 mins. Make sure you have plenty of old towels to hand to mop the meltwater off the floor. A plastic scraper will help get the ice off, but make sure it is soft enough not to scratch (mine came with the freezer).

I thought I'd chuck a blue/plastic "freezer bag pack" thing into the freezer to freeze it, then put that into a cool bag with any final items I hadn't eaten and put the whole cool bag in the fridge.... and the fridge will also be pretty much empty. There's rarely much in my fridge really - usually just a tub of marg and a pack of cheese.

Then I'd turn the whole thing off at the wall ... and, I'd use jugs of boiling water etc.... and pace back/forth for 4-5 hours while it did its thing. No doubt I'll get bored though and "want to fiddle" and I'd use a wooden spatula to poke bits :)
  • I do my garage one over night in the winter

It's cold enough out there that any food which won't fit in the inside one doesn't defrost, but warm enough that any build up of ice is easily scraped off in the morning

The inside one is frost free. Now and then I get some build up of ice if door hasn't been closed properly, a warm cloth usually gets rid of that
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our fridge freezer in the kitchen is frost free and has stayed that way so far. We have a table top freezer in the garage. I take the plug out and come back about 1/2 hour later when the ice has fallen off and just scrape it out.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »

i was trying to run mine down to defrost, but as my sister said 'if you try that you'll never defrost it'
    she said bag it up. wrap in duvet and get bowls of boiling water into it. so very much as poster above.
    is a job for Friday for me :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport