PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

World Egg Day

Comments

• Sailor's Egg.

(Proper nursery food for me, served in a mug which had lost its handle and was kept for Sailor's Egg, supposedly easy to eat on board a ship, preventing the eggs from sliding off one's toast...)

Take a mug which has lost its handle. Put in a knob of butter and put the mug into a pan of boiling water. A cloth underneath the mug helps stop the rattle. Once the butter has melted crack in a couple of eggs (or three, or four if you're feeling greedy) and a sprinkle of salt; pop the lid on the pan and cook until the eggs are *almost* set. Butter some bread (Mum always did both sides but nowadays I have to wash my own breadboards, so I butter the tops only) and cut into tiny cubes. Once the eggs are ready stir in the buttery bread, stir and enjoy.

It's the thing I always turn to when I feel a bit grotty, as it's like eating a hug. Aaah, memories!
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Two boiled eggs. :easter_os

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Under a fiver? I can tell you for under 10p!

Blimey .... what wealthy world do you live in.
    Ilona wrote: »
    Two boiled eggs. :easter_os

Ilona
    I sense some serious competition here :D

Not a fan of eggs myself, but savoury French toast with a load of ketchup is a yummy budget snack. Not at all good for you though, I haven't had it for years. Reminds me of Kramer vs Kramer :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What an eggsellent idea for a thread.

I know you said no omelettes so I am calling mine a tortilla.
    Gently swet two sliced onions until soft in some oil or butter. Add a tin of new potatoes sliced. Add 6 beaten eggs and seasoning and cook until set( mine goes in the oven)

Lovely.

I also like a fried egg on top of a slice of cheese on toast.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    JIL wrote: »
    What an eggsellent idea for a thread.

I also like a fried egg on top of a slice of cheese on toast.

Ah 'Buck Rabbit' is delicious two poached eggs on cheese on toast, I used to have that for lunch when I worked in an office in London, paid for with my 3/- (15p) Luncheon Vouchers back in 1960, and I got a cup of tea thrown in for the price as well
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Curried egg rosti.

Peel and grate one potato per person and stir in some curry powder - enough so it looks nicely light golden. Put it in a frying pan in which you have melted a mix of butter and oil and form into a cake. Cook gently until the potato looks translucent. By this stage it should be nicely browned on the bottom. Flip the whole thing (I use a baking sheet and then slide it back into the frying pan) and cook for another couple of minutes. Then make some indentations in the potato and break an egg gently into each hollow. It takes about five minutes to cook the eggs. Either put a lid on the pan or slip it under the grill for a minute at the end otherwise the eggs will stay gloopy on top

YUM!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Not a full meal, but I have become fond of having home pickled eggs on hand - they are a great for an instant light meal.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A soft boiled egg with soldiers is pretty hard to beat!
    I also love simple egg and chips, or fried eggs on toast.

Eggs are right up there as one of my favourite foods. Cheap, but so tasty and nutritious, and lovely in all forms. Strangely my older sister HATES eggs passionately, which I've never been able to understand!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I posted this recipe many moons ago, I do still make it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=50257385&postcount=2214
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    maryb wrote: »
    Curried egg rosti.

Peel and grate one potato per person and stir in some curry powder - enough so it looks nicely light golden. Put it in a frying pan in which you have melted a mix of butter and oil and form into a cake. Cook gently until the potato looks translucent. By this stage it should be nicely browned on the bottom. Flip the whole thing (I use a baking sheet and then slide it back into the frying pan) and cook for another couple of minutes. Then make some indentations in the potato and break an egg gently into each hollow. It takes about five minutes to cook the eggs. Either put a lid on the pan or slip it under the grill for a minute at the end otherwise the eggs will stay gloopy on top

YUM!
    I have done something similar with spicy potato wedges in the oven before, but the curried rosti sounds more interesting!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure