Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• bluevan12
    bluevan12 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2012 at 6:18PM
    HI i have had two successful claims from MBNA,my credit card was for £2800,and my loan for £7500 over 5 years
    is due any day,they said the 14th jan,its Barclays iam having trouble with,i first complained in August 2011.
    It was a woolwich loan dated from 1996-2006,i kept topping up the loan,i also have two smaller loans with the
    original credit agrements,i have kept all my bank statements to show all my payments,but Barclays,keep upholding
    my complaint?? I have had enough so i have got in touch with the Ombudsman,their saying unless the bank says
    they need a response in six weeks the case is still open?
    Barclays are saying to me that because due to the length of time since i commenced my insurance cover, before Barclays became a member of GISC on 20 nov 2001 they have been unable to retrieve any details of PPI charges to my account.

As a result my complaint cannot be upheld,?? well why cant they pay me from 2001 then??
    But they continue and say if i can provide them with further info,like a ploicy number or a copy of the document
    then they would re-open their investigations,it was all done over the phone though,any one else had problems
    like these

regards mark
  • got a letter from natwest saying "They will be shortly be refunding some charges to your current aacount.The charges being refunded were incurred due to an isolated technical error in our system which has now been resolved.The amount of £582.00 will be credited to my account within the next two working days".But would they of sent that letter saying that if i owed them money ?.I thought i owed them up to £1000 in charges
  • therealslimcj
    therealslimcj Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2012 at 9:06PM
    In 2005 I requested statements from my banks and so began my journey to where I am now. I've been trying to get a wodge of money back from Bank of Scotland, now HBOS, for a couple of years. They have requested financial statements, queried 'discrepancies', asked for more financial statements, and then then in early 2010 I pretty much gave up after another request for information.

However, 2012 is the year I win or admit defeat, so have reopened my case and will post of the letter to the bank tomorrow morning, offering them one last chance to pay back the £1600 (£1304 + interest). My claim is based on financial hardship, which I am no longer in, but I'm determined to get it back and have threatened to go to the ombudsman next.

Keep fighting, and keep other MSEers up to date. I'll drop a line here if and when I hear something back.
    Back on the MSE wagon after going dark for a while.
  • Seri
    Seri Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi Seri

Keep me posted. Will be interested to see your progress with HSBC as if you get anywhere it will spur me into trying again!

Just to let you know what happened when I tried - I got a 'we're investigating letter', then a 'we've done nothing wrong but you are welcome to contact us again in the next 8 weeks if you are not happy letter'. With the second letter received they put £100 in my bank account as a 'goodwill gesture' though they claim they've done nothing wrong. I haven't touched this money as am hoping to rewrite to them and don't want to look like I will accept only £100.

Good luck :)

Hi DizzyBrunette. Just updating you on my latest progress (or lack of it). This morning I received a letter off HSBC which basically states that they have investigated my claim and they are not to blame (no surprise there). They also say that they have included a booklet containing a financial statement form which I should fill out and then contact their financial team to discuss the best way to manage my finances. They didn't actually include that particular booklet and it is unclear as to whether they require the financial statement in order to progress with my claim or not, however in the second half of the letter they say that their desicion is final and if I want to pursue the claim I should now write to the financial ombudsman. All very confusing but I will not let this go so will press on. Having read an earlier post where the financial ombudsman had replied to a particular claim stating that the bank had requested a financial statement which had not been returned to the bank and therefore the claim could not be upheld, I think the best course of action would be to obtain a financial statement form and return this completed to HSBC which should hopefully mean that I have covered all angles. This will take a lot of patience but I have oodles :rotfl:.
    Sarah xx
  • debsf1
    debsf1 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2012 at 12:37AM
    Hi peeps, hope someone can offer some advice..
    I've tried to reclaim just over £600 in charges from Nationwide from around 2004/5 under the hardship umbrella.

Very long story but basically hubby became long term ill and had to give up his work, he was self employed so I took on part time job (I can't work f/t as I have a disability and find f/t work too difficult) we claimed tax credits but after a change in my working hours the tax credits were mistakenly stopped for 6 months which plunged us into deep deep debt (lived off c.c's). During this time I asked Nationwide for help ie putting a stop on the charges but they refused. In desperation I even ended up going to Spectrum at one point (no longer with them..doing it all myself).
    Nationwide have refused my claim and said that my financial problems were from 'monetary mis-management'...where do I go from here and how do I claim back charges from c/c companies that have sold my debts on to other companies??
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sealed pot challenge no;1722 aim to save as much as I can afford to!!
  • I too have been trying to reclaim from Nationwide under the hardship umbrella.
    I won't go into to much detail but I tick almost every single box that equates to the hardship rules.

I am receiving Employment Support Allowance 0f £118 a fortnight (they are deducting £10 each week as I needed a loan to buy a suit to go for a job interview when I was well enough to work)
    Not only are they refusing to refund any of the charges but I have just checked my account and when I thought I had £20 to last until a week on Friday I now find I am £11 overdrawn due to a £30 interest charge.
    How's that for a kick in the teeth?

They just don't seem to listen to the hardship argument and instead pile on charge after charge.
    I really am at my wit's end.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Seri
    Seri Posts: 6 Forumite
    I too have been trying to reclaim from Nationwide under the hardship umbrella.
    I won't go into to much detail but I tick almost every single box that equates to the hardship rules.

I am receiving Employment Support Allowance 0f £118 a fortnight (they are deducting £10 each week as I needed a loan to buy a suit to go for a job interview when I was well enough to work)
    Not only are they refusing to refund any of the charges but I have just checked my account and when I thought I had £20 to last until a week on Friday I now find I am £11 overdrawn due to a £30 interest charge.
    How's that for a kick in the teeth?

They just don't seem to listen to the hardship argument and instead pile on charge after charge.
    I really am at my wit's end.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't really help you with regards to claiming back your charges as I am currently experiencing the same problem as yourself. I would however advise you to open a new bank account if possible and have your benefits paid into the new account as I have done this and started afresh and have not incurred any charges this way. I would also advise that you choose a different bank as there is some sort of clause that banks have and I believe it is called something like off setting which means that if they cannot obtain funds from your account to cover charges they can take the money from any additional accounts that you hold with them. Although this does not helpyour current situation it may give you more control over your money in the future. At one point HSBC levied £175 in one month from my account which ate into my housing benefit of £280 rendering me unable to meet my weekly rent payments. They do not seem to understand or care about the impact these absurd charges have on people who are already struggling to live. I wish you the best of luck with your claim.
    Sarah
  • SpikeW
    SpikeW Posts: 22 Forumite
    Seri wrote: »
    I would however advise you to open a new bank account if possible and have your benefits paid into the new account as I have done this and started afresh and have not incurred any charges this way.

I'll second that - I did exactly the same thing when I switched from Lloyds. The Co-op or the Post Office offer basic accounts (I have the Co-op Cashminder: no cheque book, no overdraft, debit/cash card). It was a REAL life-saver to be able to start from scratch.

The charges Lloyds kept levying just went on and on but eventually they shut the account down and fixed the amount owed: since I'm reclaiming all those charges, they can pay for their own stupidity and heartlessness.

When I switched to a new, basic account my troubles were honestly halved: I only had to worry about the ACTUAL money I had, instead of random bank stupidity on top. Significant difference.
  • I started a complaint regarding 6 years of bank charges totalling £1914 and overdraft interest chgs of £1519. I made the claim on 9th Jan 12 under financial hardship. My main point being that my current overdraft of £2800 has spiralled out of control partly as a result of excessive chgs and interest. Charges on top of more chgs have made my situation worse.

I asked for a full refund plus interest. I have received on 18th Jan a credit of £300 direct into my bank account and a letter from Lloyds TSB expressing their concern and offering the refund of £300 being made up of charges and fees for the last six months. They have also agreed to waive all pending overdraft interest & usuage fees for the next two months. The letter does not say it is a final offer, but says if I remain unhappy with their offer, to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Is this a fair offer or should I take my claim further? I feel an offer of £300 is a far cry from the £3500 ish worth of charges and interest I have incurred over the last 6 years.
  • Coventry Building Society
    amount Claimed: £400
    amount Refunded@ £200

Used Martins adviced wrote a letter to the bank they said the normal rubbish about its there right etc etc but could i send evidence on the hardship i was reporting due to their charges. So I did just a list really of my income and my outgoings. anyway checked my bank account today and they have refunded £200 of it. Shocked and amazed that only one letter has actually done this. Many thanks Martin I think everyone should try and claim. Gonna try the Credit Card next wish me luck
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback