Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Comments

• evosy1978
    evosy1978 Posts: 636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone, I understand now with regards to joint tenancy etc.

A 1 year old and a 3 year old, both blood.

I think the best course of action is to state "all of my estate goes to my partner ....... " and visa versa. I presume the solicitor would guide us on this?

Were going to do it via will aid and MSE says £135 for a couple. So does this mean 2 wills?

Do you guys reckon from experience Will aid November is a suitable way to get a will done, or are corners cut as the solicitors are not getting paid? ( I know Martin says they hope you will come back for more products) but what are your opinions.?

Thanks
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    evosy1978 wrote: »
    A 1 year old and a 3 year old, both blood.

I think the best course of action is to state "all of my estate goes to my partner ....... " and visa versa. I presume the solicitor would guide us on this?

Were going to do it via will aid and MSE says £135 for a couple. So does this mean 2 wills?

Yes, you each have a will.

As the children are so young, have some plans as to who you would like to bring them up if you both died before they reach 18 and have that written in the will. There's no legal guarantee that your wishes will be followed but Social Services will normally comply with your decision.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Also, some provision for the situation where you all go together, or you two die so close together that there's no chance to change anything. I know it's not likely, but while the children are so young you presumably travel together more often, for example, than we do now that my boys have started to leave home ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • You could always post your draft will on here (with names etc suitable doctored) and we would have a go at criticising it.
  • Thanks

So a draft will is the initial will the solicitor writes prior to the main one? We have an appointment booked, what will this appointment include. Im thinking to go through all our wishes and to give us advice? Then they forward the draft copy and we check it?

Ta
  • Savvy_Sue
    evosy1978 wrote: »
    So a draft will is the initial will the solicitor writes prior to the main one? We have an appointment booked, what will this appointment include. Im thinking to go through all our wishes and to give us advice? Then they forward the draft copy and we check it?
    You certainly do need to check the drafts: my parents' draft mirror wills hadn't been properly altered, so Dad was leaving things to himself. :rotfl:

I suspect John was suggesting posting up what you think you want, rather than the draft from the solicitors. Mind you I have a form at home (awaiting completion!) which we are supposed to send in before making an appointment, it has helped clarify our thinking.
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Ive just made my will :D jut back from solicitor:cool:
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    You certainly do need to check the drafts: my parents' draft mirror wills hadn't been properly altered, so Dad was leaving things to himself. :rotfl:

The solicitor got my parents to sign the wills in his office - great, except that he gave Dad Mum's will and Mum Dad's. We noticed when we looked at the photocopies!
  • evosy1978
    evosy1978 Posts: 636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I suspect John was suggesting posting up what you think you want, rather than the draft from the solicitors. Mind you I have a form at home (awaiting completion!) which we are supposed to send in before making an appointment, it has helped clarify our thinking.

We have £30,000 in separate ISA's. A car and a van, a Tv, (plus a house load of other not so expensive possessions) Next year we will buy a house with the £30,000 which will be a tenancy in common ;).

We want to leave each of our share of our estate to each other when we die. Then after our deaths split 50/50 to our 2 children for them to receive when they are 21 yrs old. (can we specify an age?) If for any reason they are not here, then split equally to their children. If they have no children or if there not around, then to our nephew. Failing all those then split equally between our 4 siblings.

Is there anything else or do you reckon this is all we need to say in this meeting?

Thanks
  • Savvy_Sue
    That's a good first step, you've obviously thought through the 'what if' scenarios.

I'm not sure if you can put things in trust until children are 21 - well, you can, but I think a previous chancellor made that a heck of a lot less tax efficient than letting them inherit at 18.

But that is why you are consulting a solicitor!

Letter of wishes for who you'd like to act as guardian for the children if you both fall under a bus tomorrow?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure