Something to stop the heat going out of our chimney

A few months ago, I saw on TV a plastic device that you stuck up the chimney (i think you blow it up) and it stops the heat escaping from the house. We don't use our open fire very often, and our heat bills are mammoth because we only have bottled gas. So I'm looking for one of these devices or something similar but don't know where to get one from. Any ideas? or alternatives?
thanks

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do a search on google for "foil balloon"

They are meant to be inflated with helium but air would do as you don't want them to float away.

I've seen some quite big ones that I'm sure would block a chimney.
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I was a kid, my dad made one of these.

He cut out a piece of wood to fit tightly inside the chimney breast and attached an old kitchen handle to it. We then just had to wedge it up the chimney (and remember to take it out when we put a fire on!)
  • welf_man
    welf_man Posts: 564 Forumite
    http://www.c20fires.co.uk/fireplace_accessories/chimney_balloon.htm

Read ALL the text carefully - trust me on this!

Mel.
    Though no-one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending.

(Laurie Taylor, THE no. 1864)
  • welf_man wrote: »
    http://www.c20fires.co.uk/fireplace_accessories/chimney_balloon.htm

Read ALL the text carefully - trust me on this!

Mel.

Half of it sounded like tosh to me.

Blocking the chimney causes the bricks to get damp, but not if you block it with one of their balloons?

There are milions of homes in the Uk with the fireplaces blocked up, and they don't have damp bricks. All they have is a TV presenter tapping on them telling us that if the owner unblocks the fireplace and makes a "feature" of it they will sell the house for a great profit.

They also say that if you light the fire and accidentally leave their balloon in place it will shrivel up. They conveniently don't mention that this will mean it will fall into they fire. At best it will burn and you will have to buy a new one, at worst it will cause burning embers to fly out onto the carpet, and if you aren't in the room, cause a fire.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    I use old pillows, think they do the job and still breathe.
    As long as you don't fill the balloons with Hindenburg gas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure