Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• Having just returned from a 3 week break and feeling blue, I think there's a lot to be said for short breaks/long weekends. Less adjusting to a normal working pattern again. As you say, a day out and some chill time. Sounds good to me :)

Thanks DIA :)

I may end up taking the week after all, as I've just found a seminar I want to go to. But either way will work.
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • MuffinTops wrote: »
    Hello lovely,

You always sound so level headed and in control. It's lovely to know you're getting so busy doing good things on the weekend that you catch up on chores during the week. I think I need to start doing the nastier jobs in the week so the weekends are a bit more productive.

MTxx

Thanks MT, although I'm not sure level-headed is the way I'm most often described :rotfl:

It's a lovely change for me to be wanting my weekends clear, as before they've got all muddled up with studying and haven't felt very different to during the week. Now that's all done, I find I'm really looking forward to full days off and I don't want to complicate them by fitting in chores. So I'm going to try and come up with a FlyLady routine that will keep things clear in a half hour or so of chores on weeknights. I know when I had everything decluttered and sorted before, I could get cleaning done in about 2 hours a week, and I already have things fairly well organised for laundry. My food shopping and meal planning is a whole other story, but that can be dealt with next!

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I agree Rosa. I am trying to protect the 2 days I have off too. I think the key is doing the drudge jobs on working days. Flylady is something I'm still getting to grips with. I at least keep to the kitchen clean/sink shiny part and it's helped hugely
    Hope you are out doing fun saturday stuff
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I agree Rosa. I am trying to protect the 2 days I have off too. I think the key is doing the drudge jobs on working days. Flylady is something I'm still getting to grips with. I at least keep to the kitchen clean/sink shiny part and it's helped hugely
    Hope you are out doing fun saturday stuff
    DIA x

Thanks DIA

It makes a difference having even a little time when you know you don't have to feel 'I should be doing drudgery' doesn't it? I completely agree about having 'working' days.

I haven't managed it this weekend, as I've had some chores to include, but I have been out with friends and shopping so it's at least been balanced out.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 2 October 2016 at 7:58PM
    Sunday shuffle time again already! It's working well for me to have this set point in the week to have a catch-up. I update YNAB, check all my accounts and review my budget. Because I know I now do this every week, I don't worry about dipping in and out of it the rest of the time. When I remember I put my transactions straight into the YNAB phone app, but otherwise it all gets done together.

Everything's still on track so far, and I have an expenses payment and a repayment from a friend due which will up the money available. It's taken me a long time to get used to the new YNAB's strict policy on 'can't spend what you don't have' - neither of these payments could be reflected in my available income as they haven't happened yet. Which I guess is as it should be, because this way I've had to work my budget without them and can 'roll with the punches' and adjust things later in the month. (There should probably be an expression for the nice alternative to punches. Presents? :rotfl:) Currently the Age of Money is showing at 38 days, which I think is probably a near record for me.

So nothing much to report really :) . I've adjusted my budget so that all my books, music and movies are in one category instead of separately, as I figured it's not likely I really need to review them separately. This was the main change I made when I moved to the new YNAB, I made several categories more high level as I found I was tracking things in unnecessary detail. I really like that this doesn't panic YNAB - it just points out that deleting the old categories will mean things need to be recategorised, and asks where it should put them so that you can choose the new one. Beautifully simple :T.

Definitely need a day out shopping for winter clothes as the boots I bought online went straight back - the colour was nothing like it was described or looked on screen! I'm still reading the Be Less With More articles about clothes, and wondering if I can be a bit more organised, but I don't think I'm up for the full Project 333 just yet! http://bemorewithless.com/project-333/

Hope everybody's weekends have been good and that Monday is kind to us all!

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Isn't YNAB beautifully simple? I think I even understand the credit card section, although I try not to use credit cards much so maybe that's why it makes a bit of sense to me?

Happy winter clothes shopping. What a shame those boots were so different. My feet seem to be a funny shape so I can't often get boots online as I need to try them on in the shop. Although, I do that, go home and then order online using Quidco for the cashback!

Happy new week. MTxx
  • Project 333 lol. I don't even think I have 33 items of clothing to wear in 3 months. I really need a wardrobe update next year when the finances are a bit better.

I think I might have to maybe give up on YNAB for a while. I am getting the hang of it but I never remember to update it, unlike my spreadsheet where I am on there several times a day lol.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • RosaBernicia
    Wow, Sunday shuffle again and I haven't really been on since the last one! My focus is definitely shifting.

It's been a bit of a mad week - working off site Tuesday, Wednesday a friend came to stay and through all of it I have been chasing up forms and things about the new work. That's finally sorted which is just as well, it makes things much simpler for the conference next weekend.

I did a yoga workshop yesterday but was great but the church hall floor was SO dusty it really made me wheeze. I think I've averted bronchitis today but feeling a bit groggy so not been doing much. I have the week off now, except for one morning where I agreed to still go in and help at an event, so looking forward to it. The flat is still a bit messy and I will try and get a few things a bit more sorted. However I'm so fed up of looking at the 3bay pile I think I'm just going to take it to the charity shop. Most of what's on there has been listed at least once and not sold so it won't go for much and I would like to have the clear space in the flat again.

I'm doing better at food shopping - or perhaps I should just say not wasting food, as I can't really dignify this by saying I have much of a plan yet! I've been picking up fresh veg etc at lunchtimes or in the corner shop instead of stocking up every week and not using it, which is good for both the planet and my budget.

I've also started to make more use of my Prime subscription by watching movies, it's really convenient to be able to just pick them on the spot and pause when I want to go make dinner! Although I guess that's not helping with the unread books pile :o :rotfl:

Moneywise all is well, running to budget and have another £50 due in. I've just had a request for a meter reading from the electricity company which has the potential to be a nasty shock :( but will just have to see. I do have presents to buy, but they're covered by the gifts pot. Only two weeks to payday and I'm hoping there might be a bit left over in some pots so that I can add to the house deposit and buffer fund. Oh, and Age of Money now at a record 43 days :)

Hope everyone's having a good weekend

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Wow, loving the age of your money. I know your focus is shifting but I am here for another 14 months at the least so keep posting please as I need the inspiration :)

I know what you mean about yoga floors. Yuk! It puts me off yoga. It has come to something when I would seriously consider tai chi just so I can do it standing :)

Have good week
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • You can always give ebay one more shot, we are getting nearer to Christmas now. I actually took photos of everything last night so one step in the right direction.

Age of money sounds brilliant, does that mean you are one paycheck ahead on YNAB now?

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business