PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Streetwise Publications

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Richie35 wrote: »
    Not really sunshine. Arrived at this from a Google search on something else and signed up. It's not the first negative post, as far as I can see. I've got no axe to grind either way. Just adding my limited experience.

Have to say what's less surprising is that you turned up here with a totally pointless post with nothing of value to contribute. You can't rack up 8,202 posts without having far too much time on your hands and a talent for the tiresome. I can only assume you're being sponsored by Action For Bores or are going for a record. Keep smilin'.

If you want to be taken seriously on these forums you're going to have to change your attitude somewhat. I suggest you dig a bit deeper on here and you will find members with far higher post counts than my mere 8,000 odd. As a 'newbie' you have a lot to learn.....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Richie35
    Richie35 Posts: 11 Forumite
    If you want to be taken seriously on these forums you're going to have to change your attitude somewhat. I suggest you dig a bit deeper on here and you will find members with far higher post counts than my mere 8,000 odd. As a 'newbie' you have a lot to learn.....

Sorry I offended you. I just saw someone making a pointless comment on a matter they clearly had no information on, or knowledge of and assumed they were an idiot with too much time on their hands. Thanks for the warning about not being taken seriously on here. I shall console myself with being taken seriously in real life instead.
  • Richie35
    It certainly isn't sour grapes. I have been on the Streetwise mailing list for some 20 years since they started. It's because their behaviour is so out of character that it is cause for concern

The person who alleged that Streetwise were having financial difficulties is a businessman in Rotherham. Where Streetwise is based.

On another thread I have read this evening that Streetwise has applied to change it's name.

For Mr Harrison (owner of Streetwise) to promote a high value product and not publish Terms and Conditions but state that there is a 90 day money back guarantee, and then when people apply for a refund they are told that they have to use the system for 90 days before being eligible for a refund, is completely out of character.

That's why it is such a concern. Thankfully I paid by credit card and they have put the transaction "in dispute" and have frozen the payment because Streetwise did not say in the guarantee that customers have to use the system for 90 days. They also failed to publish Terms and Conditions in the sales letter or product manual.

To be frank what Mr Harrison has done is crazy. There are many others who paid for the Ratchet System (which is just a staking system using Arbitration and Dutching) and have applied for a refund to get back their £497. I wouldn't have paid that much to assess the product if I hadn't built up trust that they would honour their guarantee.

So it's far from sour grapes I can assure.:)

Okay thanks. If I can give you a word of warning. I'd be very careful about making allegations about the financial status of companies you don't have first hand knowledge of. A friend of mine put something similar on a forum, and the company forced the site owner to reveal his identity and then gave him all sorts of hassle, claiming damaged reputation. Still, if you're sure I don't suppose you've got much to worry about.
  • Richie35
    geoffky wrote: »
    your word of warning is noted as i believe you have a vested interest? hows this for you?

streetwise are rumoured to be in financial difficulty allegedly ..hows that? why can they not honour a refund..is it because they are allegedly skint or just have problems with money supply allegedly.

The person who alleged that Streetwise were having financial difficulties is a businessman in Rotherham. Where Streetwise is based.

Certainly learning something here. I'm learning that this is a site populated by tiresome busybodies. Another idiot with a huge post count comes out of the woodwork and sticks his nose into a matter which as far as I can see, he has absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever.

It says more about you than it does about me, that you make the assumption that anyone who doesn't automatically join some pathetic lynch mob, despite knowing sod all about the specific situation, must have a vested interest.

In my book, such a person has a rational brain, not a vested interest. He doesn't jump to conclusions or take sides without knowing some hard facts. I was just looking for an appropriate smiley, but it looks like 'Sad Little Man' isn't available on this site. Shame, it would be useful.

Oh, and if you think sticking 'allegedly' in front of every rumour will save you should the s***t hit the fan, I'd start saving up now.
  • I've just found a really interesting article on Streetwise Publications written by Tony Hetherington of The Mail On Sunday. It was written in 2006 but gives a disconcerting insight in to Mr Harrison.

"STREETWISE Publications is one of those firms that seems to make its money by selling wonderful schemes for getting rich, rather than by actually putting them into practice.

Its new offering is promoted in mailshots by boss John Harrison, who says the scheme is like ripping off the banks every day and getting away with it.

The mailshot says: 'Just imagine the perfect crime. You spend 20 minutes in the evening setting up the sting. In the morning you go off to work, just like normal. And when you get home £300-£500 has 'mysteriously' landed in your bank account'.

Harrison's mailshots are accompanied by an even more dramatic pamphlet, supposedly written by an anonymous 25-year-old who spent a few years working in the City. 'Andy' offers to spill the beans on a 'highly coveted' secret system for trading on the foreign exchange markets.

Andy refers to 'my humble background', and 'my working class origins'. His employers were 'old school-tie fat cats', he says, before hinting that because he was sworn to confidentiality, 'the elite' would be very unhappy with him if they knew his identity.

He even claims to be offering his scheme because of 'my conscience nagging at me'. Then he rather spoils the Robin Hood image by asking you to stump up £2,322, payable to Rotherhambased Streetwise.

I asked Harrison who slapped the secret label on this scheme. I asked who would be upset by Andy's revelations, or is the secrecy a sales ploy. And I asked him whether he intended to use Andy's tips himself, enabling him, according to his own mailshots, to retire within a year.

I did not get a single answer. Instead, Harrison described his mailshot as 'a private customer communication', and gave me copies of letters from unnamed satisfied customers, plus a few from people who had successfully claimed refunds.

Oddly, included with these was a letter Harrison said he received from a private investigator who had taken a Streetwise training course and was offering to reveal my address and other family details. In short, it was an 'I-know-where-you-live letter', though Harrison denied this.

Harrison has at least one associate described in court as a 'real villain'. Last October, I reported that Streetwise was promoting £4,000 seminars on how to make money by setting up a mail order business. The seminars were given by James Sheridan, alias James Edwards, who was condemned by a judge as the man behind a fake arthritis cure scam that cost victims hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Harrison should realise that people really can be judged by the company they keep. Anyone tempted by Anonymous Andy's scheme should ask Harrison the questions I asked and he refused to answer. No answers, no £2,322."
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2011 at 4:58PM
    I've had a subscription to Property Auction News for a few years, but now cancelled.

For info, it broadly consists of regular reviews of auctions past - so if you can take any value from reading about what's sold at auction already, all good and well - but after a few issues, I was left with a 'missed the boat' feeling.

Another regular article is a list of auction houses, with capsule summaries of what they generally offer and when their auctions are held - but if you've read this one month, it's generally the same the next.

Inbetween these are various commentary articles, invitations to join investment 'clubs' or invest in 'sure fire' development opportunities in foreign parts, and a miscellany of classified ads for same.

Be advised that Streetwise seem to share their database with all manner of money-making opportunity sellers, so be prepared to receive all sorts of invitations for

Spread Betting
    Foreign Exchange Trading
    Online Blackjack
    eBay Powerselling or Dropshipping

and various other schemes which promise to drop hundreds and thousands into your bank account for very little effort.....
  • Richie35
    I've just found a really interesting article on Streetwise Publications written by Tony Hetherington of The Mail On Sunday. It was written in 2006 but gives a disconcerting insight in to Mr Harrison.

"STREETWISE Publications is one of those firms that seems to make its money by selling wonderful schemes for getting rich, rather than by actually putting them into practice.

Its new offering is promoted in mailshots by boss John Harrison, who says the scheme is like ripping off the banks every day and getting away with it.

The mailshot says: 'Just imagine the perfect crime. You spend 20 minutes in the evening setting up the sting. In the morning you go off to work, just like normal. And when you get home £300-£500 has 'mysteriously' landed in your bank account'.

Harrison's mailshots are accompanied by an even more dramatic pamphlet, supposedly written by an anonymous 25-year-old who spent a few years working in the City. 'Andy' offers to spill the beans on a 'highly coveted' secret system for trading on the foreign exchange markets.

Andy refers to 'my humble background', and 'my working class origins'. His employers were 'old school-tie fat cats', he says, before hinting that because he was sworn to confidentiality, 'the elite' would be very unhappy with him if they knew his identity.

He even claims to be offering his scheme because of 'my conscience nagging at me'. Then he rather spoils the Robin Hood image by asking you to stump up £2,322, payable to Rotherhambased Streetwise.

I asked Harrison who slapped the secret label on this scheme. I asked who would be upset by Andy's revelations, or is the secrecy a sales ploy. And I asked him whether he intended to use Andy's tips himself, enabling him, according to his own mailshots, to retire within a year.

I did not get a single answer. Instead, Harrison described his mailshot as 'a private customer communication', and gave me copies of letters from unnamed satisfied customers, plus a few from people who had successfully claimed refunds.

Oddly, included with these was a letter Harrison said he received from a private investigator who had taken a Streetwise training course and was offering to reveal my address and other family details. In short, it was an 'I-know-where-you-live letter', though Harrison denied this.

Harrison has at least one associate described in court as a 'real villain'. Last October, I reported that Streetwise was promoting £4,000 seminars on how to make money by setting up a mail order business. The seminars were given by James Sheridan, alias James Edwards, who was condemned by a judge as the man behind a fake arthritis cure scam that cost victims hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Harrison should realise that people really can be judged by the company they keep. Anyone tempted by Anonymous Andy's scheme should ask Harrison the questions I asked and he refused to answer. No answers, no £2,322."

Can't comment on the specific situation there, (and neither, I suspect can you) however, I do know that it's possible for ANYONE to get stitched up by the media. To get an idea of what I mean, type 'Martin Lewis Channel 4' into Google and then watch on Youtube. Totally unfair, but that's the media for you.

That's why I prefer to make up my own mind on stuff, rather than relying on journalists with space to fill or a show to make more interesting.
  • You have completely missed the point again. Mr Harrison of Streetwise has just stitched me up along with many others. I find it very strange how you keep defending such behaviour. I appreciate that you are probably very young and have yet to experience much of the world. I was very naive and trusting when I was young. Unfortunately the world isn't the friendly sincere place that we like to think it is. Or wish that it was.
  • Richie35
    You have completely missed the point again. Mr Harrison of Streetwise has just stitched me up along with many others. I find it very strange how you keep defending such behaviour. I appreciate that you are probably very young and have yet to experience much of the world. I was very naive and trusting when I was young. Unfortunately the world isn't the friendly sincere place that we like to think it is. Or wish that it was.

No, it's you that's missing the point. I'm not defending any 'behaviour'. Where have I defended any behaviour? Simply pointing out that you can't take everything you see, hear or read at face value. Sorry if you find that 'strange'. Maybe it is for a site like this, which seems to attract more than its fair share of people who are prepared to believe any third hand nonesense if it fits in with their jaundiced view of the world. Instead of patronising me because of my age, maybe you should give some thought to applying a bit of critical thinking to what's put in front of you.
  • I'd just like to say I've been using the Ratchet product for about 5 or 6 weeks and I am well over £1000 up. I would recommend people try this for themselves. It all looks good to me. I will see how it goes over the next few weeks but so far so good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure