PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade hobnobs?

Options

Comments

• moneysavingfamilycomp
    Options
    these are so nice there making me feel like giving lol think i might have to make some for my mam n dad and my sis and deliver them tomorrow. you sure there isnt some magical ingredient that makes you want to share. il definately be handing batches round at xmas lol
    :coffee:i find a cup of tea can solve most problems:coffee:
    :dance: but alcohol solves them all :dance:
    basic emergency fund 387.87/500
    £1000 emergency fund #290
    mortgage 91,719= 21y 0mnth :eek:
    6 mnths exp 0/6633
  • elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584 Forumite
    Options
    I've made my first batch today! :D

Somehow, I ended up with half the batch looking like proper biscuits - these are the ones which will be sent to the MIL! - and half as mishapes.. which I'm tucking into now! Any ideas anyone? How small are the balls supposed to be?

Also, I misread (in my excitement!) and added the bicarb to the dry stuff, not the melted butter. Does that make a difference too? I'll do it the proper way next time.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    moneysaving i think we can share the biscuits because the batch makes a lot so there are still enough left for us lol

elle in the past i have forgotten to put in bic soda and doesnt seem to make a difference but must be there for a reason and the balls are supposed to be walnut shell sized
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry if it has already been posted but has anyone made chocolate hobnobs?

I don't mean by adding chocolate chips or coating with chocolate but have added cocoa powder to them?
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    I'm starting to get stuff ready for a halloween party next Friday and Twinks are on the 'to do' list. How far in advance can I make the mix up as I didn't really want to do it on the day, also did I read somewhere that you can roll the mix up in a cling film sausage and cut in slices to make nice neat hobnobs. I do mine with a teaspoon so they come out a bit rustic, but I wanted something a bit neater this time.
  • kersplatt
    Options
    I made two batches of these last week - they're awesome!!! Altho I fear for DH's waistline! They all disappeared within 24hrs of making them!
    Separated 17/06/10, now dealing with the fallout
    House sold and debt cleared 23rd May 2014. Now saving to get married!
    Current savings £0
  • twink
    Options
    kersplatt wrote: »
    I made two batches of these last week - they're awesome!!! Altho I fear for DH's waistline! They all disappeared within 24hrs of making them!

glad you like them kersplat, never mind about your waistline, oats are a superfood ;)

sb44 i dont recall anyone adding cocoa powder to the hobnobs, might be ok

sandy2 i think somebody rolled the mix out and used cutters but might be a bit sticky, i suppose you could roll in cling film and freeze and cut into slices before right thawed but have never tried that
  • yorksbabe
    yorksbabe Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 i did some yesterday with cocoa. i dropped 1/2 oz of flour and put 3 tsp cocoa in. the family said they are great!
  • twink
    Options
    yorksbabe wrote: »
    sb44 i did some yesterday with cocoa. i dropped 1/2 oz of flour and put 3 tsp cocoa in. the family said they are great!

thanks for letting us know yorksbabe, another variation, they would look good with a drizzle of white chocolate ;)
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    I thought folk on here might be interested to know the costings of a twink's hobnob. I used stork marg, and asda smart price ingredients, and made 30 biscuits out of the original recipe. :D

Result: 2.3p per hob nob.:money::money::money:

Munch away frugally ladies, they really are good for our bank balance!:T:T

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure