Javascript help please

As above please -
[Well that's even more ridiculous now. pop-up msg won't paste directly here, so have had to create it as a doc.]

JavaScript is required on your browser to use this service. Please turn on JavaScript or upgrade your browser to have JavaScript capability.

I can't alter anything. Javascript is on.
Want to add funds to a site regularly used for paid comms,
vital to recipient.
This is the 1st time such a msg has appeared.
Have tried all solutions via mozilla firefox, noscript alert, windows xp etc. to no avail.

Clear, non-gobbledygook advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou :-)
CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Comments

• Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Noscript > allow scripts globally, ignore the dangerous warning. Then close tab and reopen.

XP ? You really should get a more secure OS.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • So are you using Firefox with noscript on windows XP? You mention all three things in your post but don't actually say if you get the message when using that combination of products.

If you're on XP, please get something newer.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thankyou both.

Comments re: windows xp - this is a notspot area, with connectivity nose-diving over last 2 yrs.

I do have 'something newer'. Laptop bought for NZ journey 2 yrs back has never functioned here.
    #
    Will try 'Noscript > allow scripts globally, ignore the dangerous warning'. but never know which item in the usually long noscript list is the obstacle to allow, temporarily or globally.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    ampersand wrote: »
    Thankyou both.

Comments re: windows xp - this is a notspot area, with connectivity nose-diving over last 2 yrs.

I do have 'something newer'. Laptop bought for NZ journey 2 yrs back has never functioned here.
    #
    Will try 'Noscript > allow scripts globally, ignore the dangerous warning'. but never know which item in the usually long noscript list is the obstacle to allow, temporarily or globally.

There is no point using NoScript if you are going to "Allow scripts globally"

For the website that you are trying to make a payment to choose the "Temporarily allow all of this page"

All explained here

There is no logical reason that your newer laptop will not work just like your old one in your "Notspot" so you should investigate what the problem is pronto!
  • Fightsback
    Rubidium wrote: »
    There is no point using NoScript if you are going to "Allow scripts globally"

No point using noscript really if you are going to use XP, it's like padlocking the front door but leaving the back wide open.

Allow globally is the quick and dirty method as you get a cascade of scripts that are conditional on other scripts loading with script heavy sites, a lot of clicking. Re-enable after you have finished with the site.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Writing from mob. on comparative heights of The Gallops, some miles away.
    Have been able to top up comms a/c as normal, sans problème.

I appreciate the comments, but assure you the cauchemars of tinternet, all radio, all phones around here have not been resolved by any one, any org., any Meister over last 2yrs.

At least we know that driving somewhere else usually enables function.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Fightsback wrote: »
    No point using noscript really if you are going to use XP, it's like padlocking the front door but leaving the back wide open.

I have to disagree slightly there my old china ..

Scripts are the things that exploit the vulnerabilities in the said OS.
    With scripts disabled, the biggest attack vector is removed.

All you have to worry about then are loaded PDF files, macro enabled office docs, and of course the age old downloading and running of random .exe, .bat files etc ;)
  • Fightsback
    edited 15 October 2016 at 10:37PM
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Scripts are the things that exploit the vulnerabilities in the said OS.
    With scripts disabled, the biggest attack vector is removed

Erm, not exactly. It may mitigate but it's by no means foolproof if the script and the malware are hosted on the compromised server you are visiting and you have whitelisted it as sites rely so much on JS you need to enable so many for it to function properly, then boom. Malware doesn't stop evolving and neither should your security procedures.

Security is a process and not a product, doing something about XP is far more important. Remember this, no scripts required ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Metafile_vulnerability

Won't stop this either:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-026.aspx
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 12:44AM
    So basically, usual story, shock horror, being an idiot and opening stuff you shouldn't might get your computer infected......... So what is new?

Nothing wrong with XP, it's a solid OS, so it doesn't support newer IE versions and doesn't support later DirectX versions, but don't be an idiot and nothing bad will happen.

I tell you one thing for absolute certain, defence sector most likely still use WinXP, because it's solid, it's reliable and it's time proven. It's also used in mass manufacture environments, where these multi-million £ machines often run hardware that could be decades old, purely because it's reliable.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Fightsback
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I tell you one thing for absolute certain, defence sector most likely still use WinXP, because it's solid, it's reliable and it's time proven.

Really ?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/12/drone_consoles_linux_switch/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure