can you claim disability allowence and still work full time

There is a guy who has a false leg and really loves telling everyone about all the stuff he gets for free becuase of this leg. the whole workforce is sick to death of this leg

He boasts about claiming disabilty allowence yet he happily works 50 hour weeks getting over time and has no problem climbing scafolding and ladders and tiptoeing around the edges of roofs and other dangerous situation that i wouldnt do.

he boasts about getting free car tax on both his cars becuase he has one registered in his wifes name even though she cant drive and she is disabled as well apparently yet he insures them both.

the constant gloating about everything he doesnt have to pay for is such an annoyance is there any way to put an end to this.

i have no problem with people claiming it if they are unable to do a full days work and are actually hindered by their disability but i think he is just taking the p%$$.:mad:

Comments

• Yes, you can claim DLA if you work full time, but it would very much depend on the job. I was in full time work when I was first awarded DLA, so it's possible.

Not sure I'd have the brass neck to apply if I was capable of climbing ladders and scaffolding, but having said that - if you take his artificial leg away would he still be able to do it?

What exactly would you do about it though? Every one I know swears blind they know at least one person who's claiming benefits that they don't really qualify for - but they don't do anything about it. Just sit and seethe.
    s/e
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Yes you can still claim DLA. I assume that he's getting the higher rate on the pretenses of "well, if I don't have my prostethis on..........." (you need to get higer rate for the mobility car)
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • Well, he is probably perfectly entitled to tax two cars, one for his own personal use the other for is wife's use (even if she is not the driver).

It is very hard to know how much of what people say is really true, but if he spends his time bragging about committing fraud and annoying people, the chances are he'll get his comeupence.

you could also quip back to him, you never know your luck, if you get arrested for benefit fraud and tax evasion you could get free bed and board too!

Having said that it is entirely possible to qualify for the higher rate of both DLA componants and still do a meaningful days work. Stephen Hawking being an obvious example - he would qualify for both, not being able to walk, prepare a main meal, perform personal care tasks, but still manages to hold down a job, write academic papers, feature in advertising campaigns, push the boundaries of theoretical physics...
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    It's not fruad if he's entitled to it.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • That's true, I think we have to be careful of making assumptions as some people with fluctuating or unseen conditions can look perfectly fine also people can be consatantly.

Foxxyminx As far I understand (Thantos may put me right) the walking test is measured whilst wearing any prosthesis if you can make proper 'steps'.
  • as we all well know there are loads of people out there claiming these benefits saying they can t do this that and the other it makes me so mad its why this country is in the state its in im all for people who are genuine but there are loads of fakes out there and they get away with it if someone can do all that they shouldnt get a penny let alone the full amount . next time you see his car look at the car tax if it says disabled on it he is getting higer rate mobility
  • This man obviously doesn`t have a leg to stand on......................

Cheap cracks aside, I`m sure there are lots of problems with a prothetic leg.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My OH works full time and gets DLA - DLA know exactly how many hours he works and how much he earns and he gets lower rate DLA for a mental health problem... so yes, its possible.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Peapod2
    Peapod2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    cidergirl wrote: »
    as we all well know there are loads of people out there claiming these benefits saying they can t do this that and the other it makes me so mad its why this country is in the state its in im all for people who are genuine but there are loads of fakes out there and they get away with it if someone can do all that they shouldnt get a penny let alone the full amount . next time you see his car look at the car tax if it says disabled on it he is getting higer rate mobility

Thank You. I implied the same thing on another post and I was told off. There are lots of people in the town I live in using walking aids that don't need them. I know personally that some days are better than others but when you see said people lift up their crutches and run across the road to talk to a friend :confused:

A friend of mine was telling me about someone she knew well who had popped in to see her just to say that she had managed to get DLA (mobility component) but she couldn't stop as she was 'going out 'clubbing' to celebrate her windfall.'
  • Peapod2 wrote: »
    Thank You. I implied the same thing on another post and I was told off. There are lots of people in the town I live in using walking aids that don't need them. I know personally that some days are better than others but when you see said people lift up their crutches and run across the road to talk to a friend :confused:

A friend of mine was telling me about someone she knew well who had popped in to see her just to say that she had managed to get DLA (mobility component) but she couldn't stop as she was 'going out 'clubbing' to celebrate her windfall.'

So......................if you get DLA you can't go out "clubbing"?
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport