Thomson cant honour holiday, now refusing to refund

Options
We've booked 2 weeks in Greece next summer, same hotel and time of year we do every year for the last 4 years, and always booked with Thomson. Have already paid a £400 deposit for next summer. Since then was told by the hotel manager (who we know well) that Thomson didn't renew contract with them, as they couldn't agree on terms etc. I emailed Thomson straight away and got a reply saying it would honour holidays already booked, but could not book any more holidays at this particular hotel. So i was happy.

Now, 6 weeks later had an email confirming from Thomson a different hotel, in a different resort on the same island, not what we want. I emailed Thomson straight away and have been told, basically tough have the new hotel or lose your deposit of £400, and was told its in their term and conditions.

Surely they have to refund my deposit if they cant honour the holiday I booked? Please advise as need the deposit back to book with Thomas Cook, who are now offering holidays to the hotel we want...

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read the T & Cs of your contract very carefully...
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »
    We've booked 2 weeks in Greece next summer, same hotel and time of year we do every year for the last 4 years, and always booked with Thomson. Have already paid a £400 deposit for next summer. Since then was told by the hotel manager (who we know well) that Thomson didn't renew contract with them, as they couldn't agree on terms etc. I emailed Thomson straight away and got a reply saying it would honour holidays already booked, but could not book any more holidays at this particular hotel. So i was happy.

Now, 6 weeks later had an email confirming from Thomson a different hotel, in a different resort on the same island, not what we want. I emailed Thomson straight away and have been told, basically tough have the new hotel or lose your deposit of £400, and was told its in their term and conditions.

Surely they have to refund my deposit if they cant honour the holiday I booked? Please advise as need the deposit back to book with Thomas Cook, who are now offering holidays to the hotel we want...

Thomson (for a package holiday) only allow cancellation with a refund if they make a significant change.

"a significant change of destination; a change in accommodation to that of a lower category, a change in the time of your departure or return flight by more than 12 hours, a change of UK departure airport (excluding changes between London airports"

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/info/booking-terms-and-conditions
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks leylands, surely a change to a different resort 30Km away is a major change?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    A different resort is a "significant change of destination".

If you know the hotel manager than why not ask him to do you a deal, book direct and cut out the middleman? Then you know you'll get the right hotel and not be messed around by tour operators.

You'd obviously need to sort your flights and transfers but should be easy if you know the area, or the hotel manager can give you advice.
  • longwalks1
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    A different resort is a "significant change of destination".

If you know the hotel manager than why not ask him to do you a deal, book direct and cut out the middleman? Then you know you'll get the right hotel and not be messed around by tour operators.

You'd obviously need to sort your flights and transfers but should be easy if you know the area, or the hotel manager can give you advice.

Thanks Zagfles, thats one option but we cant seem to find any decent flight times from our local airport (Stansted), so was happy with the Thomson, now Thomas Cook price. We'd been offered to book direct with the hotel manager but couldnt find flights we liked

Just still fuming that Thomson refused to refund our £400 even after changing to a different resort :mad::mad:
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    You already have a thread running re this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5521161
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    You already have a thread running re this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5521161

Yep thought it looked familiar.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    I'm almost sure you are entitled to a refund. They can't just do what they want!
    travelover
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Britishboy what was wrong with the replies in your other thread ?
  • longwalks1
    Options
    Sorry people i completely forgot I'd already posted a similar thread (got far too much on at home at present, and this holiday hassle is the last thing I need at present too) apologies all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure