Bad Career Choice - keep in touch

Comments

• neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    w00519772 wrote: »
    I hear what you are saying. However, what happens if company B make an offer before company A. I accept, then hand in my notice and then company A make an offer (say two weeks later). Then I will probably withdraw from company b and accept company a. Would you advise the same this time assuming that the application process for company a drags on.

I realise I am counting my chickens a bit here. However, both companies have offered me roles in the past.

If Company B makes you an offer and you are waiting for Company A, then it depends how far along the process Company A is. If you have interviewed with A by this time and you are waiting for their decision, then tell B you need a few days to think about it whilst asking A if they can give any indication of when they'll make a decision because you have another offer to consider. A will know this is you politely asking them to hurry up.

If the process with A is still early days, you haven't interviewed or had "the chat" yet, but you have an offer from B, then you have to make the decision, will you go with B or wait for A? B won't wait around for you to accept or reject forever, and A may not progress to anything at all, so this would be very risky. Let's say you accept an offer from B, resign from your current job, and then all of a sudden A swoops in with a better offer, then you could tell B you won't start but you'd be burning that bridge with B for sure. If I were in that position, I'd accept that B wants to give me a job but A is too slow and I have to move on with my life, so I'd go with B and move on from considering A for now (and you never know, there may be another opportunity with them in a few years' time).
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2017 at 8:23PM
    neilio wrote: »
    If Company B makes you an offer and you are waiting for Company A, then it depends how far along the process Company A is. If you have interviewed with A by this time and you are waiting for their decision, then tell B you need a few days to think about it whilst asking A if they can give any indication of when they'll make a decision because you have another offer to consider. A will know this is you politely asking them to hurry up.

If the process with A is still early days, you haven't interviewed or had "the chat" yet, but you have an offer from B, then you have to make the decision, will you go with B or wait for A? B won't wait around for you to accept or reject forever, and A may not progress to anything at all, so this would be very risky. Let's say you accept an offer from B, resign from your current job, and then all of a sudden A swoops in with a better offer, then you could tell B you won't start but you'd be burning that bridge with B for sure. If I were in that position, I'd accept that B wants to give me a job but A is too slow and I have to move on with my life, so I'd go with B and move on from considering A for now (and you never know, there may be another opportunity with them in a few years' time).

Are you saying:
    1) You would not apply for A at all
    or
    2) You would apply for both and withdraw the A application if the A application process is taking too long?
  • neilio
    Are you saying:
    or
    2) You would apply for both and withdraw the B application if the B application process is taking too long?

I'm not saying either of those things
  • w00519772
    I'm not saying either of those things

Could you clarify what you are saying? Thanks again!.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Email the person who interiewed you, just let them know you are looking to move on and would love to know if any opportunities arise in the firm.

If you do not ask, you do not get - it has been my motto for a while.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • neilio
    Could you clarify what you are saying? Thanks again!.

Is what I posted really that unclear? :eek:

I've just re-read it, not sure how else I can simplify it. I'm not going to rehash it here again.
  • neilio
    Are you saying:
    or
    2) You would apply for both and withdraw the A application if the A application process is taking too long?

Since you edited the above quote after I responded to the original, then my answer is yes to number 2, but only if B has given you an offer that you are happy with and A is taking too long to make a decision (because in my experience, that means A doesn't have a job for you yet).

Please note, I am not telling you what to do. I don't know what industry you are in or what your relationships are with these people. I'm just advising based on my own experiences.
  • w00519772
    Is what I posted really that unclear? :eek:

I've just re-read it, not sure how else I can simplify it. I'm not going to rehash it here again.

Sorry. My typo in my comment at 6:01pm made your comment at 6:24 seem confusing. I understand what you mean.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    As A is the place you got an offer before they are either very interested in you or desperate(lack of candidates).

They will have already gone through the "will they fit in" leaving the job fit I suspect they will be interested in is how committed you are this time.
    After last time chances are you will get one more go, so don't dither on the job, do a decent amount of due diligence and be clear in your mind yes or no once you know what the job is. if turning it down try to do this before they offer so you keep your options with A open ie. (still want to work for you but not this job.

with B slightly different as it is a much longer time but they probably want to refresh their views on you as well as see if there is a job fit.

its not just the job and company but the package have an idea what you want from that to get you to move to either of them.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Judging by your posts I'm not sure either company should employ you!

Go with what feels right and move forward. Good luck.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport