PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Aluminium foil- width

Options
Not sure if this the right board........I bought some foil to-day and noticed there is no longer a narrow (12 inch) and wide (18 )inch choice. To be perfectly honest they are all in millimetres now but I can visualise inches better.
There is a new hybrid on the shelves and it measures 15 inches.

Now I used the narrow stuff for small things- sandwiches, covering a plate. The wider one I use for roasting mostly and lining the grill pan.

Is this new 15 inch width a dastardly EU plot or
just manufacturers trying to sell more of the product ( as we will waste more) or just giving us less choice?

All three probably!
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After reading this I had to go and check my foil!! I get the real cheap (blue and white stripey) from Tesco.After all foil is foil! The measurement on it is 300mmx10m.And I measured it and its just under 12inches (11.7 exactly).I don't know if they do a bigger size as I just pick that one up as its less than £1 I think!

;D ;D ;D
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Now that might just suit me fine ;)
    I find the smaller one just too small and the long one, too wasteful. That 15in may work out to be just the right size for my roasting pan.
    Like a woman on a mission, I must go check the shelves in the supermarket today.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i get the 300mm, it fits most things, but if its too wide, i chop it half and save rest for something else.
  • RachelD
    RachelD Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's the fact that the choice is no longer there that annoys me. This was in Sainsburys and the 15 inch one may be applicable only to them.

Rachel
    if i had known then what i know now
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i hate it when they take the choice away too, instead i have to buy large bottle of fizzy pop (can rarely get 1ltr now) large bottles milk, (pints so sillyly expensive) and you used to be able to buy toilet rolls in poacks of two. everything supersize these days.
  • corinne8
    corinne8 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    i've given in buying the extra wide foil beacause no matter how carefull we are in unrolling it by the time we're half way thru itits not half as wide(some of the foil gets left on the roll & you end up with layers and layers of it ) ???
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get a huge roll 24" long from the market about every 3 years

its usually about £3 and it goes on and on for ever
    same with the cling film both in heavy cardboard boxes and usually sold on one of those stalls that sell soap and shampoo dishcloths and all that jaz

:D:D:D
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    will look out for them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts