PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning Ceramic Hob

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice - I have a ceramic hob, less than 2 years old and one of the light grey rings on top has a black mark on it that looks like it's a stain or that it's rubbed away. I don't know if it could have rubbed away?

I've tried HobBrite even with a HobBrite scraper and none of that is working. Could anyone recommend anything else that might work to get the stain off?

Thanks

:o

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    No, I think if you have used the recommended cleaner and a scraper you have done all you can. You describe a "stain" rather than dirt. I would contact the manufacturer and ask advice.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would sprinkle the top with bicarb of soda add some washing up liquid then add some vinegar. Put a wet cloth over the top leave it for a while and then wipe it off and rinse. Works for me.
  • When I had a ceramic hob (I loved it but sadly left it behind when we moved ) I used to use cream Jif on it and that helped or some soda bicarb sprinkled on top and left overnight
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bar-keeper's Friend and a green scourer will get it off with some elbow grease. I used this on a 25 year old hob recently that had been 'tenanted' (there's an interesting verb) for 5 years. It's as good as new now.
  • Thank you. Which bar-keepers friend product is the best option? There's a powder, cream or spray.
  • jk0
    Thank you. Which bar-keepers friend product is the best option? There's a powder, cream or spray.

I have only used the powder, as I thought that would be the best at scouring.
  • I'll try this as bicarb did nothing. Does anyone know if the silver ring can be rubbed off at all or is it definitely a stain? Also, can you get replacement rings? The grey one on top of the hob I mean.
  • jk0
    I think anything other than stains would be under the glass wouldn't they? Otherwise even moving pans around would scratch the markings off eventually.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Please don't scream at what I have to say about cleaning ceramic hobs!

I have an Ariston ceramic hob and it's there since.... wait for it 1996 OMG.

I clean it with a brillo pad. YES it works on mine. No burnt bits or stains ever remain. Honestly. I put some warm water on the hob then work the pad round and round, and it is the best thing ever. Dry off with paper towels, sparkling. No scratches I promise, just a gleaming hob!

Brillo pads are fantastic for cleaning shower screens too. Try it, it's really amazing.

I tried everything on the hob and the shower screens, and now a little brillo works wonders.

If you are a bit scared, try a little corner of your hob or shower screen. I guarantee it works.
  • jk0 wrote: »
    I think anything other than stains would be under the glass wouldn't they? Otherwise even moving pans around would scratch the markings off eventually.

That's what I would have thought but then again I can't understand why HobBrite; a hob scraper and bicarb haven't worked. I'm giving your suggestion of bar keepers friend a go next. It's not even a 2 year old hob!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure