Single mother, 2 children, what can they get?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    DX2 wrote: »
    £1,000 per month child support really are far and few between, if we are honest. Most if lucky get approx £30 per week.

It is pretty common in more affluent areas. My ex and I were discussing this the other day, and he has several friends who pay out more than that each month. Indeed, he does, although I don't imagine she claims IS. Obviously in less affluent circles (or with parents who just don't care) the payments will be far less.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    Jowo wrote: »
    So you are a high tax earner who only ever buys goods with VAT added to it?!

Still not so sure what you're trying to achieve?

20% on Tax, 11% on National Insurance, so I rounded it slightly to 33%

Majority of goods purchased are VAT chargeable - but so what? I was just saying that out of every hour that I work in most occasions I only receive 40% of what I am paid, although that doesn't impress me this thread wasn't created to complain about that, that's a whole different issue.

I was more interested in the original post I made which is a single mother with 2 young children how much money do they receive which is a valid question that I am entitled to ask. If some one thinks that's rude of me, well don't respond would be the simple answer I have a right to know where my money is going as already mentioned.

Besides I am not going to waste any more time explaining to people why I made a thread in the first place.
  • missbunbury
    missbunbury Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 March 2011 at 5:55PM
    The child support is entirely unconnected to what money the mum has - she could in future get a job earning more than you and you would still have to pay what you do currently.

(Edited to add) Also, while you have a general right to know where your tax money goes, this does not extend to the right to know specifically how much one individual benefit recipient receives regardless of your relationship to that person's child. It is impossible for us to tell you how much she gets as it depends on individual circumstances - she might be in receipt of DLA or Carer's Allowance or any of a range of benefits. As for your CSA money, you have no right to know where that is spent. If you are concerned that a child is being neglected (i.e. not getting the necessary clothes, food etc) then you should report the parent to social services. Otherwise it is for the parent with care to decide how to spend the money and you have no entitlement to know about her decisions.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    I was just saying that out of every hour that I work in most occasions I only receive 40% of what I am paid, .

There is a thread in the Discussion Time forum about whether child maintenance should be disregarded for income support. Put your views there about the lavish living of your ex and the hardship you experience.

You may say that you receive x % of what you earn but I'm sure you don't mind the percentage that goes to your children, do you? After all, you'd be paying a considerable sum of your net income into the household budget if you lived together so what's the difference now?

Currently, the UK govt pays out more in benefits than it receives in income tax receipts - it needs all the VAT and corporation tax it can get its hands on to fund the fall-out from relationship breakdowns and preventing children from sliding into poverty because the UK has a culture where absent parents are averse to paying for their children and see it as a duty of the state.
    I was more interested in the original post I made which is a single mother with 2 young children how much money do they receive which is a valid question that I am entitled to ask. .

I answered this very clearly, very early on, that specific query. It is your obvious grudge against the child maintenance and benefit system that has caused the thread to wander into policy discussions and social views.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    Easier for who? You? Well you don't need to reply to her question. Other people have responded and don't mind her asking.
    There isn't a question it's a simple single parent bashing, they don't even know any facts, we can all ask silly little questions after a game of chinese whispers. ;)
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • xxtokerxx wrote: »
    Still not so sure what you're trying to achieve?

Majority of goods purchased are VAT chargeable - but so what? I was just saying that out of every hour that I work in most occasions I only receive 40% of what I am paid, although that doesn't impress me this thread wasn't created to complain about that, that's a whole different issue.

I was more interested in the original post I made which is a single mother with 2 young children how much money do they receive which is a valid question that I am entitled to ask. If some one thinks that's rude of me, well don't respond would be the simple answer I have a right to know where my money is going as already mentioned.

Besides I am not going to waste any more time explaining to people why I made a thread in the first place.

You have a job and get a good wage, it seems to me to be a bit creepy if truth be known about your obsession with how much a single woman with 2 kids gets, unless of course the 2 kids are yours?
  • DX2
    dmg24 wrote: »
    It is pretty common in more affluent areas. My ex and I were discussing this the other day, and he has several friends who pay out more than that each month. Indeed, he does, although I don't imagine she claims IS. Obviously in less affluent circles (or with parents who just don't care) the payments will be far less.
    Yes I forgot you run in the showbiz circles. ;)
    *SIGH*
  • DX2
    I wish people would stop trying to read between the lines....

Firstly, I do not communicate with the person indicated in this thread. I have a right to know where my taxes are spent.
    We don't need to read between the lines because as you have said you do not communicate with the person in the thread so you are just making it up as you go along, whilst on your single parent bash.

As for your taxes :rotfl:get over yourself.
    *SIGH*
  • lauzellen
    lauzellen Posts: 328 Forumite
    I don't see why OP is being so nosey - not really any of his business so long as his child is being looked after well! I've been on IS in the past when between jobs but got not support from the father and still don't now. You should be proud that you are contributing towards your childs upbringing albeit in a financial sense! If your income isn't enough given your personal outgoings get a 2nd job, do overtime etc etc by going to college you are increasing your skills so in time your income should also increase. The lady only gets what the government says she is entitled to.
    Daughters Sealed Saving Pot - start them young :money: £90 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport