Asking previous employer for old job back

2»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As others have said, it depends on a lot of factors.

From an employer's perspective, there are positives:
    - An employee who is already familiar with the job, and the internal systems and therefore should need no / minimal training
    - no agency fees
    -someone whose skills, strengths and weaknesses are known

On the down-side
    - someone who has already chosen to leave, once. You'd have to wonder whether they were going to stay, or whether they would simply be using it as a short term solution while looking for a new job. (Which might not be a major issue, depending on the job)
    - THey already know any flaws, weaknesses and poor relationships with other staff

You'd also need to bear in mind that if they did take you back, it wouldn't necessarily be on the same terms. People may have been promoted or given different duties following your departure and you wouldn't necessarily have exactly the same role or responsibilities afterwards.

Al that said,it doesn't hurt to make enquiries, and judge by what the response is.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Pretty much as the title says, has anyone left Job A for Job B found out after a month or 2 Job B wasn't for you and you asked if you could get your old job back ?

Did you make the decision lightly or give it alot of thought ?

How was your return taken by your fellow colleagues ?

Im in the situation as the job title and to be honest the job isnt for me, id like to go back to previous employer but am concerned Id be considered a failure for going back.

I left for a job I thought would be something different which it is but Ive come to realise some aspects of the job aren't for me and as im new I cant exactly ask I avoid these aspects of the job, well I could but id be told where to go.

I left a job with a company to go elsewhere but I too hated it and after a year, left to go back in a slightly different role.

I realised that the old adage the ex is an ex for a reason is true, even though I was welcomed with open arms and left last month.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another point to think about is why you left in the first place? Is it something which is likely to mean you'll be unhappy or dissatisfied again if you were to return?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 7:20PM
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Another point to think about is why you left in the first place? Is it something which is likely to mean you'll be unhappy or dissatisfied again if you were to return?

Apologies for the late reply.

Id left as I wanted a challenge, the hours were part time but I was offered overtime and something different BUT I'm beginning to realise I miss working as a team, maybe part of it is because we all got on really well.
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 7:21PM
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    Has your old employer filled your position? Even if they did take you back you've likely lost any continuation of service which could impact the salary level they offer and pension status. Not to mention lack of security as a 'new starter'.

Unless you have contacts at the old company that will welcome you back I'd probably stick with it and if necessary look for a new job in a few months. Won't look great on your CV though.

Ive broached the subject if it were possible, not much point in thinking if its possible IF its not possible. if the hours are no good then I probably wont consider it.

Yes there is that about my CV, I'm currently looking for other jobs.
    SandC wrote: »
    Depends very much on your relationship with your previous employer, if the position hasn't been filled I don't see why you shouldn't ask the question. I don't think anyone would consider you any kind of failure! You don't seem to be too concerned about whether they would have you back so I presume you left on very good terms.

I work with a lady who's been here for many years, she left for a while then returned. No problem whatsoever, the company were glad to welcome her back.

Ive been told they would be happy to have me back plus its Christmas which will be busy. Yes we left on good terms, I was a good colleague, knew what I was doing.
    YouAsked wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't - but not because I shouldn't but because I'd let my embarrsssment rule me!

I know someone who did do this - and ended up in a bidding war!
    realised after 2 days job B wasn't for them,
    went back to job A and told them they'd be prepared to come back to a higher grade - job A agreed,
    handed notice in at job B
    job B gave some assurances about how things would develop so retracted notice
    Contacted job A, they offered even bigger promotion
    Went back to job A.
    Still there now - 15 years later

My nerves were shredded while all of this negotation was going on - thinking they'd end up with no job at all, but it worked out.

I will add though there was a bit of background there where job A had passed them over for promotion then asked they they train the person promoted and I think job A realised they'd made a mistake and it would take time/effort to replace those skills.

So generally speaking I'd say if you left on good terms and they haven't filled the vacancy there's every chance they might be glad of the opportunity to save on recruitment effort/costs. If you've got particulalry marketable skills/expertise then this will make it more likely.

No guarantees though and some employers will have very rigid policies where no matter how much they "liked" you, there is still a process which has to be followed.

Regarding colleagues...I genuinely don't think many people would care. Thinking about it, people I've worded with have come and gone and come again (sometimes with short gaps, sometime years later) and no-one seems to bat an eyelid. But this is probably related to how well thought of you were when you left!

As Ive said I have asked the question if I could come back and the new manager will be asked maybe tomorrow or friday. If the answer is no then I can put it out my mind.

It would be more of a backup if I don't get anywhere with applying for jobs.
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    w00519772 wrote: »
    If you were a valued member of staff and the position is unfilled, then I would talk to your line manager. Do you have his/her email address/contact number? Are you friends/contacts on Facebook/LinkedIn? The worse they can say is no.

I have seen this happen before. Some people are embarrassed by it, however I think that moving jobs is a stressful experience and does not always work out, so I sympathise with you. I am no expert though - just my opinion. Good luck.

Still undecided really, im currently working and getting paid for full time hours which is good but its the job satisfaction that isn't there.

Depends how you got on with colleagues.?

If your old boss would call you up before re-advertising - there is your indicator. But that maybe isn't the issue.

My heart skipped a beat after I only days ago saw a prev position readvertised only took 4 months but I could never return due to co workers still being very much the same.

While I was in the current job they had a new manager come in so wouldn't have met him yet.
    bugslet wrote: »
    ^^^ This.

We have taken people back on if we hadn't replaced them and it's no big deal.

I'm talking from employer perspective not having done it myself. If your old company is looking for someone, far better they get someone they know and saves all that adverising and recruitment effort and money.

Thanks
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Apologies for the late reply.

Id left as I wanted a challenge, the hours were part time but I was offered overtime and something different BUT I'm beginning to realise I miss working as a team, maybe part of it is because we all got on really well.

Be careful about going back even more then.

Dynamics change with new staff members coming into the team even if you get on with them, especially when the boss has changed
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    My Dad had a new job and he hated it so much that he asked his former employer would he be able to return back. He did return back and because he left employer A to go to B and back to A in the same month, he didn't bother putting that job on his CV.

Though did screw up the taxes as was issued a P45 twice in one month etc. Got the rebate back/
  • bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    I feel you can never go back to the exact same job. Have seen it where the company tell all that 'Mr X could not make it and he is possibly better than you' to keep exiting staff in line. He was also reminded to always feel grateful, and that the company had done him a favour where nowhere else even wanted him. Not the best place to work for.

I have seen it done successfully where people have left for a year, gained added experience/knowledge and come back, often to an elevated position.

The question is, why you left in the first place. Often money is not the only factor, and many stay in a job even if there is a substantial difference.

Generally, and if you are on the younger/middle age side, everyone who I know that has left has over time done better than those who stayed, even if they experienced redundancies and joblessness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure