Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

New Charity being formed

Options
My wife, friend and I are setting up a new Charity to be able to fund a new Wheelchair Rugby team in Broadstone, Dorset.

We need to raise funds so that we can get 20 wheelchairs and all the equipment, plus we need to be able to afford the Leisure Centre.

The Charity will also be raising money for other new Disability Sports in the local Dorset area and we've got a few ideas up our sleeve to raise funds.

The question is what do we need to do to apply to become a Charity?

I've got a form that is the "Small Charity Constitution" form, suitable for charities with an annual income under £5,000 that don't own a building or employ people and do not intend to register with the Charity Commission

But we are looking at raising around £10,000 to get these chairs, BUT if we bought the chairs several at a time and did not have £5,000 worth of money in the account would we need to do anything else, or would that count as over the £5,000?

Also, if we cannot be a Small Charity, what is the next stage?

Sorry, to ask on here, but it seems that when you ask the Charity Commission, they can take up to 20 days to reply!!!

Many thanks

Nick

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it would be your income over the course of a year, so I'm not sure the small scheme would cover you.

So you're looking at registering as a charity, OR finding a charity which would allow you to set up a local branch.

There is, of course, GBWR, can they offer any support or advice?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed, the £5000 limit is your income over the year - how much you have in the bank at any moment is irrelevant. If you are likely to exceed this amount just once (i.e. in the first year) you might still qualify as a 'small charity' organisation because you will be under £5000 on an ongoing basis. (from the FAQs on the Charity Commission website)

Have you considered trying for a grant from another organisation rather than raising the money directly yourselves?
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • MeandHer1989
    Options
    Can I just apologise about the delay in replying. My computer is knackered and I don't want to spend any money that I have raised on it, as that is not what the Charity is all about.

I will answer these questions in a couple of days. Just trying to get back up and running again.

Does anyone know of a place where a Charity can get a free computer that works? :(
  • MeandHer1989
    Options
    OK, back in the land of the living.

I am going to go down the affiliated route. The next problem is that we have changed our club a bit, so that now we will be doing lots of different sports on a Monday morning. WC Rugby, WC Basketball, WC Handball and Wheelchair Slalom.

Plus we are starting up a WC Rugby team.

But if we wanted to affiliate ourselves to several sports, is that allowed?
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, it depends on your objectives.

santander is currently doing a grantwhich would suit you.

http://www.santanderfoundation.org.uk/

The money from here will be available for wheelchairs:

http://www.co-operative.coop/join-the-revolution/our-plan/keeping-communities-thriving/funds-and-foundations/

And a strange suggestion - get hold of your parish clerk and explain what you are doing and tell him or her what you are doing, and ask them about grant making bodies and money raising.

If they are any good they will get information all the time about what money is available in your area - if you are in a recycling place, or landfill - if MARS are in your area etc etc. Here in Norfolk we have the Norfolk Community Foundation who run endless streams of funding.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Find your local CVS by looking on http://data.navca.org.uk/members/directory - your CVS is there to support small local charities!

As to computers

- ask local businesses if they have a spare, or one they are throwing out.
    - contact computersforcharities.org
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • MeandHer1989
    Options
    Many thanks :)
  • MeandHer1989
    Options
    A lot has happened since I last came on here.

We had our 1st taster session last Sunday and we have another one on Sunday October 12th and 26th and Sunday November 9th - All 1 till 3 and FREE to join in.

You just need to have some sort of physical impairment to play.
  • MeandHer1989
    Options
    Well a lot has happened since March 2014. We are having our final Taster Session today, we are being presented with our new Wheelchair that was funded by the Steve Bernard Foundation, we've got an ex Team GB Captain coming down and we are being filmed by Bournemouth Uni Sports Dept.

Busy, busy, busy
  • MeandHer1989
    Options
    Well it just gets bigger and bigger every week.

We started playing in February 2015 and after 12 hours of training played our local rivals (Good friends really) The Solent Sharks.

We managed to draw with them 36-36 and it felt like we'd won the World Cup.

They were a great bunch of people who have inspired us and helped us to get this far, so without them we would have been struggling.

To think 1 year ago we had no account, no money, no players and in that time we've managed to raise £43,000 to buy 11 wheelchairs and all the various bits in between.

It's been very hard work, especially filling out application forms at 3am, when I couldn't sleep and my wife had just returned from having her hysterectomy!!

What with myself being disabled, it made for a very interesting 4 weeks shall we say :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure