PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• skodasupercar
    Options
    My bet is there is some form of MSG or something similar in there.

There is no way it can taste that good without being bad for you, its just one of those things you know!

But i reacon we can crack it. What we need is some way of testing the post baked topping without having to make lots and lots of rolls. rolls are good, but take time to prepare. I wonder if the same results could be gained by spreading the mix of a slice of bread and baking it. that way you could make and experiment with all sorts of toppings without the hastle of making 20 rolls.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    I've been getting Tiger rolls from Tesco for some time now and noticed they seem to vary somewhat from week to week. Last week the ones we got were very strong smelling/tasting :drool: much more than usual, and also very dark in colour. They were also very sticky, something I've not really noticed before, both on top and underneath as though something had been brushed onto them after:confused:
    baking

It was definitely a very bitter tasting substance (possibly marmite as already suggested) and didn't taste very nice at all alongside a sweet filling (lemon curd).
    DOH!!! :doh:maybe sesame oil's brushed on after the already crackled bread comes out of the oven?

I have an Italian flatbread recipe that has EVCP olive oil brushed on after baking & it produces a fabulous crust

am too busy to try it out before Saturday, anyone else? :)
  • Swan_2
    Options
    My bet is there is some form of MSG or something similar in there.

There is no way it can taste that good without being bad for you, its just one of those things you know!

But i reacon we can crack it. What we need is some way of testing the post baked topping without having to make lots and lots of rolls. rolls are good, but take time to prepare. I wonder if the same results could be gained by spreading the mix of a slice of bread and baking it. that way you could make and experiment with all sorts of toppings without the hastle of making 20 rolls.
    good idea for a shortcut there :)
  • skodasupercar
    Options
    Well here is a little update of my progress.

I decided today to modify the standard recipe and make the crackly topping out of yeast, suger and a small amount of water, then added the other ingredients but used the sesame oil to make the paste. it was very oily and hard to spread onto the top of the rolls. but i managed to do it, and now we have a sesame flavour to the roll topping. But it is still a million miles from tiger bread!

I think bovril/marmite idea is a little closer to the mark. Sesame might be an ingredient but i think i can say for sure, that it is not the main flavour.

here are some pics of tonights effort, 8 rolls all with the same topping.

Dscf1708.jpg

Dscf1707.jpg

you can just spot my litle girl swipping a roll in the background

Dscf1710.jpg

SSC
  • Swan_2
    Options
    you can just spot my litle girl swipping a roll in the background

SSC
    I'd be nicking some of those too, they look fantastic! :T :T :T

if I ever get my kitchen out of mid-renovation :rolleyes: I'll join you in the quest
  • fernliebee
    fernliebee Posts: 1,803 Forumite
    Options
    Been lurking on this thread for a while as I want to have a go at some tiger bread- it is too good!!!

Just a thought- instead of sesame oil what about using tahini? It is a paste made from the whole sesame seed rather than just it's oil, might make it more sesame-ey! :) No idea about amounts or whatever but it might be worth a try.
  • AngelFreak_2
    Options
    I've just got off the phone after calling Customer Care at Sainsbury's. I was enquiring if their bread (namely Tiger Bread) was suitable for vegans, and the man who answered the phone listed the ingredients used in tiger bread twice (in hindsight I should've recorded the conversation...). Anyway he mentioned 'tiger paste', and I'm pretty sure he didn't mention sesame oil. Though he did mention yeast within the tiger paste, so those who suggested Marmite may be on the right track! ;)

I'd suggest calling the customer care line of any of the supermarkets, ask if a bread is vegan/vegetarian and hopefully you'll get a helpful (maybe too helpful? :p) representative reel off the ingredients. Just make sure you record the convo or write down the ingredients. :cool:

PS: You'll need the barcode of the Tiger bread and possibly its weight. The barcode for Sainsbury's 400g Tiger Bread is 0105 2480.
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    my daughter's boyfriend is the bakery manager at a huge supermarket that shall remain un-named. While he won't tell me the ingredients, he confirmed their tiger paste does contain sesame. It comes in huge catering tubs and the staff absolutely hate working with it because it's very very salty and if the tiniest bit gets under the gloves onto some scraped skin it stings for ages.

I am working on him for a full ingredients list and promise to post as soon as I get it.

I don't think all the supermarkets use the same stuff though. Sainsbury's tiger bread doesn't to me taste sesame-like, while morrisons version (which I much prefer) definitely does.

oh, and yes, they brush it on before proving
  • carrieann_2
    Options
    i don't post often but have found this page http://www.britishbakels.co.uk/content/docs/specs/412950d.pdf on ingredients in tiger bread paste mix and how to prepare the mix on this page http://www.britishbakels.co.uk/content/docs/recipes/412950r1.pdf from a bakery suppliers website.

• ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    right - went and annoyed daughter's boyfriend at work enough to send him off to put some tiger paste in a pot for me. It looks like a slightly off white glace icing, similar consistency. I dared a taste and it just tastes like very concentrated salt with I think a bit of a sesame after-taste. It has a texture of very soft but not yet melting butter with a slight fine graininess to it - even finer than table salt - rice flour I guess. The supermarket, as you can imagine, was heaving so couldn't take anymore of his time, but will work on ingredients after I've plied him with christmas drink.

Carrieann - I saw the britishbakels list as well, but it doesn't include sesame in any form - dd's boyfriend (ddb?) says he thinks theirs does, but I promise to drag the full story out of him when I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure