PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Comments

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    No results to post. :(

Epic Fail!
    :( that's more or less what happened to mine in the BM, it turned out pale & not Tigery at all

it was a normal-ish height (more luck than judgement though) I think the spreading on of the topping interrupts the 'flow' of what the BM's doing & they're picky & unforgiving creatures these machines!

I think an oven bake's the way to go, I'll give it a try next week once my kitchen's sorted out with some water

well done for giving it a go :T
  • Mollymop5
    Mollymop5 Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    I was told the top of tiger bread was marmite!
    bake your bread then brush ontop towards the end of baking.
    haven't tried it but might have a go soon.
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• I came across this recipe , if nayone wants to try it, haven't tried it myself yet , am going to do so later. I'll let you know how it goes.:confused:

Tiger Loaf
    Makes 1 loaf

Bread
    500g strong white bread flour
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp of yeast (or 1 sachet of fast-action yeast)
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    1 tsp sugar
    300ml warm water ( 1/3 freshly boiled, 2/3 cold water)

If you are NOT using fast-action yeast prepare yeast with the warm water & sugar and leave for 15 min to froth.

Tiger topping

1 1/2 tsp yeast
    65ml warm water (you may need more)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
    60g rice flour

1) Mix together flour, salt and fast-action yeast (if using).

2) Stir sesame oil into the warm water/sugar (and yeast is not using fast-action) mix. Pour the liquid slowly into the flour, stirring constantly until well combined.

3) Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 min. If using a mixer, use dough hook and knead for 2 min. Shape dough into a bowl, place in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to prove in a warm, draft-less place for 2 hours (or until dough has doubled in size).

4) Mix together tiger paste ingredients and leave for 15 min. You may need to add a bit more warm water to loosen the paste.

5) Preheat oven to 240oc. Flatten the risen dough with your hand then knead for a further 30 seconds on a floured surface. Roll out into a fat sausage shape and place onto a greased baking sheet. Coat the surface of the bread with the tiger paste and leave to prove for a further 30 min.

5) Cook bread for 10 min at 240oc then turn the oven down to 200oc. Cook bread for a further 10 min. If you tap the base of the bread and it sounds hollow the bread is cooked. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
    [URL="javascript:window.print()"]Print this post[/URL]
    You might also like:
  • bec2012
    bec2012 Posts: 12 Forumite
    catherinen wrote: »
    I have made Tiger bread lots of times. After lots of trial and error I came up with a recipe for the crust which is close enough to bought tiger bread to satisfy my kids. I use toasted sesame oil in the rice flour paste. 100g rice flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1tsp sugar, ½ tsp quick yeast, 1 Tab sp sesame oil and 150ml warm water.
    You can see a picture and my list of ingredients at my stressed mum blog.
    Thank you, I've just tried your recipie and although not quite right like you my children love it ate the whole batch in one sitting, so it will do us until someone comes up with the real thing :beer:
  • Hi everyone, I've just spent the last half hour or so reading through this thread as I really want to learn how to make tiger bread. One thing that I've noticed is that one member (sorry can't remember who now) gave a list of ingredients that each of the large supermarkets uses to make the bread. In almost all of them the topping seems to inclue either malt flour or barley malt something-or-other. Maybe this is what gives the 'sesame' like flavour???? I am going out now to see if I can get hold of some malt flour or similar and have a go later on to see if that works. Has anyone else tried this yet???

Nice to talk to you all!
  • Hi, i have recently started eating tiger bread myself. I think it's lovely. But I wonder what people think about diabitics eating it. I ask for a family member.
  • I asked the baker in Asda today and all they do is make normal dough and sprinkle the top with sesame oil before baking.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • I have noticed that more supermarkets are leaving out the sesame oil so the bread has lost its special flavour. Check the labels for the words "Contains Sesame Oil"
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I have noticed that more supermarkets are leaving out the sesame oil so the bread has lost its special flavour. Check the labels for the words "Contains Sesame Oil"

& I thought it was me imagining it, earlier in the thread I mentioned I'd seen 'contains sesame oil' on the labels, & when I went back to look it was gone, good to know I'm not entirely losing the plot :D

the crackled topping's no problem, we know how to do that, it's capturing that elusive extra flavour ... sesame? marmite? malt? :think: :think: :think:

a few pages back (posts 120 & 123) I was going to bake the bread with the rice paste topping & paint on some sesame oil after it came out of the oven, but have never got round to it because my flat's been like a building site since I moved in August :(

I am going to have another go at it if my house is ever sorted out, after all the joinery & water supply problems, my landlord's decided to re-wire my flat & it's not very conducive to bread experiments right now, so if anyone else wants to have a go, I'm sure there are a lot of us would be very interested to see the results :)
  • I've been searching a recipe all kind, but it is too hard to find a recipe like that. Maybe try to go in some bakeshop then try to ask them the recipe I think they will give it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure