Newbie looking for some advice before it spirals

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Another idea...... explain to the children that different brands are better value for money and maybe give them a few £'s a month that they can call their own pocket/shopping money.
    Tell them the cheap brand will be part of the shopping budget and if they want to buy a different brand they can use the above said funds they have been given.
    They will soon change their thought process towards 'brands' without you coming across as the 'baddie' for swapping. They will also understand value for money and budgeting and it will put them in good stead for adulthood.

Win win situation!!!

1. you save money on grocery budget
    2. they learn valuable lesson
    3. no-one is deemed the 'baddie' or 'unfair' person

DB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • jac53 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your advise :-)
    My kids eats tons they are 9, 14 & 15 but I tried other lower price supermarkets and they refused to eat it as it wasn't named brands

We don't eat brands unless there is no option (my daughter has specific dietary requirements which I occasionally mean I have to buy a brand as a supermarket label is unsafe for her) but our grocery budget at the moment is £40 a week, including cleaning, laundry etc (and this includes expensive branded laundry detergents as she also has skin allergies :eek:)

Anyway, my point is that after shopping few weeks ago and spending £35, I got intrigued and ran the shopping back through a virtual till with all the items branded instead of our usual mix of supermarket own and everyday value (and the odd essential brand)

New price was £65. Nearly double :eek: Just because I 'bought' brands.
    Extrapolate that out to your £650 shop, and you could be spending only £350 just by buying non branded. That's without even trying with meal plans etc.

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Have you claimed for washing your uniform? you can claim back your tax, should be some info on this site. Hubby does it for his tools and overalls and he is a mechanic.

I know the NHS also get some discounts too, (i know they get discount for eating out, but it may help if you just ask anyway when you do any purchasing in store).
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • jac53
    jac53 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Wow you have all given me some good tips and .... erm .... yeah I am pretty soft with the kids.

Good tip on the nurse agency work might look into that beginning of next year I am currently doing a post graduate diploma to specialize so don't really have the time now, but could get some applications in and CRB checks done thanks...

Right so sky bill and food to start I think :j
    Sky is confusing me I currently have combined package with everything exc sports and movies... Has anyone tried these Now boxes? ? unsure of whether they will assist the kids to ease into loosing the sky tv. Think they are approx £10 a month with £15.40 line rental but includes broadband so would be approx £50 less monthly :eek:

Also does anyone recommend if I go brand down what they have liked disliked? I might be able to get a little buy/ avoid list going on before I shop this weekend.

No not claimed uniform tax back, will try that only been nursing for a year-ish, can I still get it if I don't wear a uniform in my current role but buy & wear clothes which are just for use at work?

Also I am going to buy a small extra freezer of ebay or gumtree cheap to do some bulk cooking ..... Oh I'm really getting into this you have all inspired me now... Thanks :beer:
  • I think the brands is completely individual. I am happy with Sainsburys for sliced bread, biscuits, pitta breads, houmus, pizzas, pasta, baked beans, sausages, ketchup, porridge, butter, jam but go branded for tea bags and cornflakes.

The other thing that may help is to just stop buying fizzy drinks. Tap water with ice cubes!
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    jac53 wrote: »

Sky is confusing me I currently have combined package with everything exc sports and movies... Has anyone tried these Now boxes? ? unsure of whether they will assist the kids to ease into loosing the sky tv.

We just went cold turkey. They might whinge and complain, but at the end of the day, who's boss? If you ditch all live TV, you can ditch the license too. As a minor concession, we did buy a load of DVDs for them off ebay in compensation but actually the adjustment was almost painless. They simply found other things to occupy them and when they couldnt, I suggested cleaning their room instead which strangely seemed to motivate them to go find something to do.

Also does anyone recommend if I go brand down what they have liked disliked? I might be able to get a little buy/ avoid list going on before I shop this weekend.

I have not come across anything in Aldi that was of inferior quality to our normal purchases, but then, we buy ingredients, not 'food' which is a subtle distinction. Nothing in our house comes in a packet and rarely we have tinned anything. Most is fresh, cooked daily. Before anyone says "bet you have tonnes of time etc", I hold down a full time job and run a household. It's amazing what you can get done when you're not sat in front of the TV.
    Also I am going to buy a small extra freezer of ebay or gumtree cheap to do some bulk cooking ....:beer:

Why pay for second hand for uncertain quality and reliability? https://www.ao.co.uk are currently doing a basic undercounter freezer for £119 here : http://ao.com/product/MUZ4965-Fridgemaster-Under-Counter-Freezer-White-27925.aspx
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    There is a post in the 'foods & groceries' board about best buys from Lidls and Aldi, check it out!

Ive switched my whole shop to Lidl, so I enjoy pretty much everything. There fruit and veg is excellent, and lasts ages.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • I think you know you need to be firmer with the kids regarding the branded food. The two older ones especially are capable of understanding that you can't afford everything.

You have to remember that as parent it is your responsibility to make the tough choices that are best for them - even if they don't understand or appreciate it right now. Keep buying the branded food and you could end up in difficult debt problems and that would be far more detrimental to their wellbeing than having to slum it with Aldi baked beans.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Right so sky bill and food to start I think :j
    Sky is confusing me I currently have combined package with everything exc sports and movies... Has anyone tried these Now boxes? ? unsure of whether they will assist the kids to ease into loosing the sky tv. Think they are approx £10 a month with £15.40 line rental but includes broadband so would be approx £50 less monthly :eek:

NowTv is pretty good, can often get vouchers to make it cheaper.

Even better is XBMC on something like an Android TV stick. Although not entirely legal (not that anyone in the history of ever has been prosecuted for a watching something from it) it has pretty much every film, TV series and sport and in HD too. Plus as its android you get iplayer etc. A device will cost about £30, no subscription. There might be the odd occassion where its missing an episode, so I use the US version of netflix for under a tenner a month. Also means you can cancel your TV licence, which pretty much pays for netflix and nowtv alone. Don't mind paying for netflix, grudginly pay for nowTv as wife has stuff on there, but I'd rather set fire to my cash than give it to the BBC and any more to murdoch.

If you have friends who want to cut down on TV costs, you can share a nowTV and netflix subscription too.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    NowTv is pretty good, can often get vouchers to make it cheaper.

...Also means you can cancel your TV licence,.

A word of warning. NowTv allows you to watch LIVE Tv which means you are required to purchase a TV license. Sorry. To be legally license free you must only watch catchup like Netflix or Amazon.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills