The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

help for brother - suggestions welcome!

hi,
I have found out at the weekend that my brother has missed some mortgage payments and has had his house repossessed. He has to be out by next Wednesday.

Obviously there is going to be a lot of things that need to be sorted out and we are in the process of helping him clean the house out, but to be honest he doesnt really understand how things work, he thought that by giving back the house keys he would be made bankrupt. so i am trying to help him get sorted with some of the financial stuff, which isnt easy as he is a very private person so i am going to have to try to help him as best as he will allow.

first thing i have told him is that he needs to get a new bank account as his current account is with his mortage provider (have looked about and yorkshire building society seems ok. i am hoping that you guys can give me so other ideas as to what else i need to make sure he does?

the property is in joint names with his ex wife but she has now moved to america with her new partner, i presume that they will still go after her as well as my brother for the shortfall from the mortgage.

sorry if i am rambling, just a bit worried about him. any suggestions, or information on what will happen next are gratefully received!
Debt [STRIKE]Mar16 - £10,401eek[/STRIKE]: Jan 18 £4601 Paid off so far £5800 pay off 18 £1625
Emergency Fund £100/£1000
OD1 - £550 OD 2 - £400 Def1 -£40
Def2 - £2976 CC -£500 TV £135 CR Apr 389 Dec - 487

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,538
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

Please get your brother to speak to Shelter urgently. There are some documents that it is important that he does NOT sign.

Also go over to the bankruptcy forum here as some people there have had houses repossessed and then gone BR to remove their liability for the shortfall. This is why not signing certain documents matters.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • davek1
    davek1 Posts: 590 Forumite
    sadly they may not go after the ex-wife, as she is out of their reach. I assume it was a joint mortgage? If so then they are both joint and severaly liable which in real terms means that each is responsible for the full amount (not simply half each). Given your brother is in the UK he is a much easier yarget for the mortgage company to pursue.

In terms of basic bank accounts this gives an overview of those available http://moneyfacts.co.uk/compare/banking/basic-bank-accounts/

I use the co op cashminder and find that absolutely fine. I have used Nat West Step account in the past and that was a good account as well. Most accounts give on line access and allow the setting up of standing orders and direct debits.

Your brother really needs to get some advice regarding his debts and one of the free charities may be able to help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure