PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2016 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Sa1sysoo,
    I would like to join the challenge. 15 months ago Hubby and I bought a 4 bed house and all my stuff came out of storage. With putting both houses together we had 2 full size removal vans! I have already given away to friends' children and schools several hundred books but need to do a lot more. When we finally move again I do not want to have to use 2 vans again.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Seaotter
    Seaotter Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just been browsing the forums looking for motivation and I think this is the thread for me! In 2015 my health improved (thanks to major surgery) and I got motivated to lose 2.5 stone and get control of our finances again. This year I need to keep in with the weight loss and money saving, but decluttering is desperately needed!

Question for those people who count how much they've decluttered - how do you keep count of it all without starting another industry?! There must be a simple way?
    Declutter our home in 2024
    Lose weight in 2024
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, hope it's OK if I join in too. Yesterday I managed to get rid of 3 carrier bags full of rubbish/broken stuff/etc. It is hard as my husband is a hoarder but I'm hoping if I can do things too we can work on it together ..... at least that's the plan!
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Thank you for the new thread. I have plenty still to do here so another year of decluttering is definitely in order!
    This year I shall try to keep a proper account of the items; often I didn't record what I had disposed of so it was harder to acknowledge my own progress.
    My goal is to declutter the whole house and to start tackling the garage.
    Good luck to all the declutterbugs of 2016 and well done to those who got it all done in 2015 :-)
  • I would love to join in if you will have me :)

Our house is over flowing with 'stuff'!

I'm hoping to clear most of the loft & garage and de-clutter the rest of the house over the next two years, so that we are ready to either move or renovate in 2018 :T
    £10 per day challenge July 2016 £122.07/310
  • Walnut
    Walnut Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seaotter wrote: »
    Question for those people who count how much they've decluttered - how do you keep count of it all without starting another industry?! There must be a simple way?

I'm new to this as well. I saw on an old thread that some people were listing and numbering items that they had disposed of, i.e..

1. trousers to charity shop
    2. chipped plate in bin

Hope that makes sense:)
  • pacifica9
    pacifica9 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Happy New Year all. This thread is just the inspiration I need. May I join you please?
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can I join? Made big decluttering headway last year with the minsgame, but want to up the ante this year...
    November NSD's - 7
  • Sa1sysoo
    Sa1sysoo Posts: 297 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Welcome one and all!

Hiya Seaotter, I'm kinda new to this, but the jist from the previous thread was as Walnut said. I think I may occasionally batch things together as a single entry, so:
    1. Trouser to CS
    2. Selection of Stationary to Charity

We've got so many pens and rulers and stuff, to list them all would be soul destroying, but to acknowledge their leaving the house will be uplifting.

Hopefully. :D
    It is hard as my husband is a hoarder but I'm hoping if I can do things too we can work on it together ..... at least that's the plan!

I know that feeling, Mumof2! My hubby collects [STRIKE]comics [/STRIKE] graphic novels which seems to slip into space I make on the book shelves :mad:
    One of the tips I picked up from Marie Kondo's book was to declutter yourself and only yourself. When others see how much lighter you are, they'll want to follow suit.
    It's kinda like the adage about surrounding yourself with like minded people, I guess. :wave: (here we are!) 'Be the light you need' and all that jazz :A
    OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00StepChange: £10,057.67
  • Thankyou for the welcome :-)
    Seaotter wrote: »

It feels quite important to me to keep a count to stay motivated. I let things go pretty badly last year due to health problems so I am ashamed to say that today's efforts have been measured in bin bags :eek:
    2 1/2 bin bags of junk, 2 bin bags of recycling, 1 bin bag for the charity shop... Part of me feels ashamed and guilty that things got so bad (though rationally I know it wasn't really my fault) but part of me is pleased and feels like I have achieved something! :T

Goodness knows where it all came from though, things still look like a bomb has hit lol

I like Walnut's idea of listing everything. I am a way off listing individual items yet, but once I have got the 'heavy work' out of the way I will start listing actual items, especially because I struggle with both emotional attachments and 'just in case' hoarding. I think it will be good to remind myself that the world doesn't end when you get rid of something!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure