PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who doesn't have a stock cupboard

Comments

• Very interesting reading about other peoples food stocks.

I have emptied and catalogued my food cupboards/freezers today and was shocked at how much stuff I had - I must agree with someone who posted about childhood deprivation leading to a horror of 'running out'. Have now decided to have a break from big shops and start running it down. Will only be buying to replace.

Incidentally, milk is an horrific pollutant - as is most agricultural effluent. I have done a few environmental science modules in pollution, reclamation and pollution management and I was amazed by how bad milk is. Here is a little link for the interested... http://www.ecifm.rdg.ac.uk/bod.htm . Any farm busted pouring it down their drains would be in serious bother and face very large fines as well as the displeasure of the local neighbourhood.
    ;) "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley. ;)
  • pugsley29
    pugsley29 Posts: 726
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2012 at 7:56AM
    this guy rick vanman on you tube seems to have it all sorted regarding food storage and bug out bags, I would get a better water filter though and more meds but I think he has scaled down on such things due to weight of the rucksack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgVOlI0KnM
    Wishing you a lucky 2023: 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I'm all for a good stock cupboard and have one, but will all this panic buying not make higher prices more likely, we all kno how greedy supermarkets are. Saying that I'm in a position I can say that as we are in a position to save if I was living hand to mouth I'd e stocking up aswell.

Is there panic buying going on out there? I don't get to the supermarkets any more, not often any way. I just just submitted an order online and have to admit that I was conscious about buying in more of the way of frozen veg.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) I don't think so, fuddle, I was in 2 supermarkets yesterday and didn't see any sign of it. The people buying UHT milk may just be people who buy it anyway; there was plenty on the shelves. I think it's more a case that there is a tiny amount of any product on shelf at any time, even in the biggest s.m. so that if someone thinks I'll buy some tins when they wouldn't normally buy any/ buy 2 cans more than normally/buy at a greater frequency than normal, it is quickly reflected in gaps on the shelves.

As human beings, we're hard-wired to be anxious about where our next meal is coming from, it's how our ancestors survived and how we look after ourselves and our children, if we have them.

As a gardener, I have been struggling with the cold start to the year and the subsequent heavy rains. My own personal harvest will be non-existant on some things and reduced on others. Based on the news coming off the farms, it's predictable that there will be a poor harvest for many things and that prices will be likely to rise upwards.

Some people will not notice this is coming towards them, some people are comfortably-off and able to absorb the extra costs without hurting, some of us will want to tweak our budgets to lay in a few extras while they're cheap........... it's a matter of choice and well as a matter of opportunity. As a singleton, I spend £60 a month on food and housekeeping supplies and even when I was at my most stocking-up frenzy, it only went up to £70. Because of lack of freezer-space, I am very interested in shelf-stable storage such as tins.

I'm almost (but not quite) a generation older than you and have dim memories of the crazy inflation of the 1970s as well as the troubles with power-cuts and the oil crisis etc. People who were adults at the time have stronger memories of going through that and people now in their late eithties like my Nan were young adults in WW2. What I'm trying to convey is that we all have a different "comfort point" and a different level of blitheness towards possible hardship.

One woman I know who had a child in her middle-twenties told me that before she was a Mum, she wasn't phased by coming towards payday every week with no food in the house and no money in the bank. She had a seachange when Bubs came along and became a very diligent Mum and housekeeper. Another woman I knew used to do astonishingly reckless things, endangering her own safety and wellbeing several times a month. Her response was God will provide. It was actually us, her hard-pressed pals with no more resources than she had, who were rescuing her on a regular basis, until we grew weary of it. It's up to you what you feel comfortable doing, but ultimately, the economy will respond to forces far beyond our control as individuals.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    oh no i feel myself becoming addicted to BOB vids!
    Blah
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    vanoonoo wrote: »
    oh no i feel myself becoming addicted to BOB vids!
    ;) There are worse things you could be doing with your time. I watched that linkie and wondered if I should get myself one of those plastic sealer thingummies..............:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I know! lol I've got a laminator but I am not sure that will work with pumpkin seeds altho it might be a good way to toast them! lolol
    Blah
  • pugsley29
    pugsley29 Posts: 726
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2012 at 7:19AM
    I wouldn't use that it gets too hot and might get stuck, I've wanted a food sealer for ages but cannot afford it right now

this is just a random listing nothing to do with me, but an example of what he was using

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Food-Kitchen-Vacuum-Sealer-Bag-Packing-Machine-/250374906596?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_FoodStorage_GL&hash=item3a4b81e2e4#ht_5409wt_1037

people also use mylar bags and suck out the air and then iron shut with a oxygen absorber
    like these, I have seen you tube videos of people making these but haven't tried it myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-10-x-16-MYLAR-BAGS-OXYGEN-ABSORBERS-FOR-FOOD-STORAGE-4-3mil-FDA-APPROVED-/200785033611?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_FoodStorage_GL&hash=item2ebfb8798b
    Wishing you a lucky 2023: 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have a small stock cupboard. I used to have a bigger one, but since being unemployed (2 months now) i have ben relying heavily on the food in the stock cupboard.
    I still have a fee tins left, some pasta and a few bags of rice.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2012 at 8:41AM
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    ;) There are worse things you could be doing with your time. I watched that linkie and wondered if I should get myself one of those plastic sealer thingummies..............:rotfl:

What about the space blanket?:pI bet costs a fair bit and it still looked heavy to me. I'd probably keel over attempting to carry that.

I'll never be that situation that I'd need one of them...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure