Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• jdta09
    jdta09 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been tempted back to getting an Amex by the 3% cashback. I had one a couple of years ago but that was obviously long enough ago to forget how annoying non-acceptance is.

I generally find the more expensive the item the less likely I am able to use it!
    For example some of the biggest amounts I spend are car service (Main Ford dealer doesn't take it), holiday (foreign hotel on the internet - no chance), Thomas Cook website doesn't take it, Package Holiday company (Travel Club of Upminster) doesn't take it. Car Insurance won't take it. In fact hardly anything that I spend more than £100 on. Oh well, mustn't grumble, I guess.
  • LLM
    LLM Posts: 219 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Clintons Cards don't accept AMEX.

Went in the other day and it took me ages to choose all the cards I had to buy, got to the till and got 'Sorry we don't accept AMEX' I had no cash on me at all and the shop was about to shut, I was sooo embarrased!
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just got my new chip & pin amex card - i find it "ok" - Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons/petrol stations/Comet/Currys - all take it, its where i spend the most each month. BUT did have a problem with Currys not liking the new C&P - it rejected it, anyone else have this problem.?.
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear. Post reported.

EDIT - Post has been deleted.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I used to do the books for a small hairdresser who took Amex. Amex charged 5% and settled once a week. His Visa charges were 1.6%, and Debit cards were 16p per transaction.

Amex charges to retailers are a rip off, and as consumers we end up paying through higher prices.
  • BrunoM
    BrunoM Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Amex charges to retailers vary according to the industry, size, etc of the retailer, and are typically something like 0-0.5% different from visa charges. Merchants pay slightly more, the cardholders get better customer service, and things like their membership rewards scheme is subsidised by the extra costs, so is more powerful than the equivalents out there.

It's not for everyone, but it's good for some things.
  • bmr
    bmr Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Some government agencies do not accept Amex.
    Today I tried to buy car insurance online with Directchoice.co.uk. There is no option to enter for Amex. I am begining to dislike it because I can't use it many places.
  • lawrence46
    Options
    Boots is on your list of 'do not accept amex'. this is wrong. i use it there often.
  • billion25
    Options
    Big news...AMEX is now accepted at all John Lewis stores and on-line.
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    billion25 wrote: »
    Big news...AMEX is now accepted at all John Lewis stores and on-line.

Is this for real? Has anyone checked this out yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure