Money Moral Dilemma: Would you pay a parking back hander?

Comments

• mal79
    mal79 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shonsay wrote: »
    I agree with fbs_4800

If you are paying for something and are offered a discount of course you are going to take it. OK, it might not be a discount he is actually offering - maybe he is just going to pocket the cash. But what he chooses to do with the £5 is his problem. As far as I'm concerned I have paid the company via a member of staff whom that company has deemed suitable to work for them. It's not my problem if he is stealing from them.

To all those who are arguing that this is an employee of the parking company offering a discount, please refer to the Money Moral Dilemma:

"This is self-evidentally defrauding the car park company. Would you pay the parking backhander?"

You are knowingly taking part in this fraud.
    Deco wrote: »
    Is the parking company a local business or a big firm?
    This would make up my decision. I'd happily rob big corporations, I'd never rob a local person.
    The same logic applies if I were to shoplift.

Regardless of your assesment of the victim's ability to absorb the loss, you are still breaking the law. You really need to review your moral compass...
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    k4thy60 wrote: »
    Yes I would pay the backhander, the parking company have probably already built this scenario into their profit projections when deciding on the £14 charge.

Lovely bit of self-justification there!

So the honest people get to subsidise the criminals as usual...
  • Hell yeah!!! Poor parking attendent, he's probably on minimum wage, bless him!! Give him a fiver!!!

xxx
  • Yes, I'd pay the negotiated price :beer: , as the company factor in the cost of losses etc, when they set their charges. My only concern would be if the company was heading for the pan, like Woolies. I used to park regularly at one place, where a lad with kids worked at minimum wage - he found it hard to even accept a Christmas tip! It's generally a thankless job, and I prefer staff to CCTV/machines anyday.
  • Car park prices are rediculous, and yes you do know how much it is before you drive in but in most scenarios the only other viable alternative is another car park that charges the same. If I could save £9 and put an extra £5 in his pocket I would say most definetly Yes.
  • this is a very interesting question and i can see it has the masses divided, the way i see it you have the attendant who is probably on minimum wage struggling to pay the bills ect and so is everyone else, i work in a garage and i see it all the time with the other lads (im not takin the moral high ground if i took a backhander it would be seen as a bribe and i would lose my mot liscence and probably go to jail!) the people who accept these backhanders know the concequences if they get caught but are still willing to risk it. If i was offered a discount price for parkin i would pay the fiver and say no more about it im not sayin its right but hey its a dog eat dog world out there. :beer:
    MERRY CHRISTMAS
  • i would pay the £5 and then dob him in. i couldnt live with myself for not dobbing him in but if i paid the full price i doubt the company would get all of it. he would obviously have made sure there was no proof i had been there and so he was probably creaming off the top of the profits in some way. also i get scared of turning people like that down incase they slash my tyres or something. have to say i am not accustomed to paying that much for car parking. we are all up in arms because our local private car park has put its price up to 50p!! and there are no thugs asking for back handers there.
  • If the attendant has ways to destroy proof you were ever there (if you were to pay him the fiver), he could probably do the same if you paid the full £14. Not everyone asks for receipts.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would probably be too much of a wimp and worry about it being a trap or being found out.
    But I'll admit to defrauding on a smaller scale. Are there really many among us who haven't accepted a windscreen sticker from someone leaving a car park with time left 'on the clock' or who haven't offered a sticker to someone else? Similar thing - smaller stakes.
  • pineapple wrote: »
    Are there really many among us who haven't accepted a windscreen sticker from someone leaving a car park with time left 'on the clock' or who haven't offered a sticker to someone else? Similar thing - smaller stakes.

Gets my back right up when I've given the ticket to someone and they don't even say thanks. Will grip onto it until they do, next time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure