Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Comments

• I recently switched to SP from EON as I was assured that they could read the EON Smart Meter.
    They Can't and won't be able to for the foreseeable future! What a bind.

Also their website, app (android) and automated telephone service would not accept initial meter readings.

I spent half an hour on the phone sorting things out and getting the bad news.
    Good job it's a freephone number.
    Saving loads compared to EON (AgeUK) hopefully
  • mattk_180
    mattk_180 Posts: 375 Forumite
    jeallen01 wrote: »
    Matt

Surely you will start a new contract with SP when you take over the property? So get your new supplier set up before that date and then switch within, I believe, the cooling off period on the SP contract and I would assume that you would not pay any exit charges(?).

I believe that is how it will work but not entirely sure. Looks like we will be moving in mid-October. From what I understand I will need to ring SP, give them the moving in reading and ensure they put me on their lowest tariff that doesn't include an exit fee, then contact a new provider and let them deal with the switch.

Hoping MSE will have some good deals on around that time to help me further.
  • Malmo
    Malmo Posts: 710
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mattk_180 wrote: »
    I believe that is how it will work but not entirely sure. Looks like we will be moving in mid-October. From what I understand I will need to ring SP, give them the moving in reading and ensure they put me on their lowest tariff that doesn't include an exit fee, then contact a new provider and let them deal with the switch.

Hoping MSE will have some good deals on around that time to help me further.

You will just need to ensure that you are not signed up to a tariff with a tie in when you speak to them, so usually their standard tariff. As soon as you've done this, you are free to shop around and switch. I'd advise doing this sooner rather than later.
  • I swapped myself and my dad to Scottish Power last month. They lost both of our meter readings twice and sent an incorrect gas meter reading to my former supplier so my account is now in dispute. Not impressed
  • I swapped myself and my dad to Scottish Power last month. They lost both of our meter readings twice and sent an incorrect gas meter reading to my former supplier so my account is now in dispute. Not impressed
    Move straight away!
    I had trouble with sp and npower and you give them the benefit of the doubt and they just get worse causing more stress.
    So I would move pronto if you can get away do it.
    Obviously don't go with another car crash supplier like npower.
  • Just before my husband died 2 ½ years ago he switched our gas and electricity supplier to Scottish Power on a 1yr fixed tariff. After his death when I rang to transfer the account into my name they cancelled the fix and put me onto their standard rate which cost almost double. They said there were no cheaper deals available at that time, and they were quite insensitive to my situation to boot. At one point they asked to speak to my husband! I therefore switched to Eon through the Cheap Energy Club and was very satisfied with their customer service.

However when I did a recent price comparison switching back to Scottish Power would save £100 a year so I started the switching process through the Cheap Energy Club. Imagine my distress when the Welcome Pack arrived addressed to my husband, especially as his name was printed across the top of the page in very large letters. When I rang Scottish Power they were unable to change the account into my name as their computer automatically picked up the details of the previous occupier and they couldn't enter into an agreement with a deceased person. I had no choice but to cancel the switch.

I'm really puzzled about this. What if I had sold my house to someone else? Would Scottish Power be unable to enter into a deal with them?
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ittutor wrote: »
    I'm really puzzled about this. What if I had sold my house to someone else? Would Scottish Power be unable to enter into a deal with them?

I've only just caught up with this, so apologies for late response. In answer to your question: it's doubtful Scottish Power will ever be capable of dealing properly with anyone. Why it still has any customers at all is a mystery.

Our family's experience of Scottish Power is that it is a lying, cheating, bullying, incompetent outfit that's as "Scottish" as paella. A final bill which it produced at switchover time to a rival supplier was blatantly extortionate and remained consistently unsupported by Spanish Power in terms of evidence or justification. It treated our family members with absolute contempt. And set a debt collection agency on them.

Contact with Spanish Power was conducted via email (because no-one should EVER do so by telephone calls) and the company's 'correspondence' was mendacious, obstructive and, on one memorable occasion, entirely in. . . Spanish.

The complaint our family members raised with the Energy Ombudsman was upheld in all respects, based on the fully documented history of the dispute, and Spanish Power had to pay compensation (otherwise known as "a goodwill gesture") and refund monies which it turned out were owing according to the Ombudsman Service's calculations.

It's a shame that you had such a distressing experience at the hands of Spanish Power but thankfully, you're clear of them now. Because of the timing, it seems our case was one of several hundred, or possibly several thousand, which led to Ofgem's most recent £multi-million sanction of this appalling company.

There's no consumer satisfaction to be derived from that though. Spanish Power should have had its license to operate in this country withdrawn long since. :(
  • Scottish Power - it's a NO from me.

Have been in credit every month since joining but they still doubled my direct debit last month. Customer service was rude, and full of bull. Offered me two estimated consumption figures " we use two systems".

So I'm off. Terrible service, avoid.

Bob
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Scottish Power - it's a NO from me.

Have been in credit every month since joining but they still doubled my direct debit last month. Customer service was rude, and full of bull. Offered me two estimated consumption figures " we use two systems".

You were misinformed. Spanish Power doesn't use two systems but half a dozen:

1) Systematic billing of customers for energy they never used;

2) Systematic denial that any such mis-billing ever occurred;

3) Systematic lying to the customer about the issue + systematic lying about how it deals / how it has dealt with the customer's complaint;

4) Systematic harassment for payment of miscalculated bills up to and including appointing debt collectors to demand money to which no legal entitlement actually exists;

5) Systematic acknowledgement via the Ombudsman Energy Service that the bill was indeed wrong coupled with the calling off of its debt collecting hounds and the provision of a miserly "goodwill" payment to the customer so as to keep the Ombudsman sweet;

6) Systematic exploitation of its charitable donations to cancer research via self-celebrating national Press advertising intended to rehabilitate its public image that -- fortunately -- serve only to make that image all the more deserving of contempt.

Quite why the individual you spoke to didn't mention those systems is a mystery.
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Reading this forum has answered the question I was about to ask I am with Eon currently on the MSECollective 2015 September so about to change
    On price comparison Scottish Power comes out as the cheapest For me it is not just about price but service From what I have read I will avoid them like the plague
    The next best price is with SSE with whom I have been with previously under Atlantic and M&S energy I would rather pay a little more and have less hassle Sue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback