I get PIP now. What else can I get?

I've just been granted standard rate for my daily living and enhanced for my mobility. Next time I renew hubby's car tax, he can get it for free. I know I can get a blue badge too. These will come in very handy, but am I entitled to anything else?
TIA
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all :)

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RandyRos wrote: »
    Next time I renew hubby's car tax, he can get it for free.

Only if this applies - "It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use."
    https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    RandyRos wrote: »
    I've just been granted standard rate for my daily living and enhanced for my mobility. Next time I renew hubby's car tax, he can get it for free. I know I can get a blue badge too. These will come in very handy, but am I entitled to anything else?
    TIA
    You will only automatically qualify for this if you scored 8 points or more in the "moving around" part of mobility PIP. If you didn't then you'll need to look at your local councils criteria.

As for anything else you can claim, you haven't given anywhere near enough of info for anyone to guess. Put your details into this and if used correctly it will tell you what you can claim, if anything.
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
  • RandyRos
    RandyRos Posts: 561 Forumite
    yes I read it all through.
  • RandyRos
    RandyRos Posts: 561 Forumite
    Thanks for the link, I will fill it in later and see. :)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Also remember that if you claim the road tax exemption then your hubby will also not be able to use the car for work purposes.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    As above changing your husbands car to disabled tax class means he shouldn't be using it for his own use, only where it directly benefits you. Lots of folk seem to think this is nonsense but the rules are clear (i'm entitled to free road tax but pay for it because other people use my vehicle)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    w06 wrote: »
    As above changing your husbands car to disabled tax class means he shouldn't be using it for his own use, only where it directly benefits you.

I suspect his wage will be directly benefiting the op.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • RandyRos wrote: »
    am I entitled to anything else?

You have to pay for both a disabled railcard and a CEA card (for the cinema) but they may save you money if you use either with any regularity. You can also get a carer in for free at many attractions with your PIP award letter, so take a few phototcopies for safekeeping.
  • Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    not knowing enough details but things to look out for.

A local authority Bus pass which works all over the country and london busses
    Disability premiums on your ESA payments vary from £15, £32, or £62 a week on top of your ESA but have conditions based on living alone/partner is a carer or also on benefits etc.
    Council tax reduction Doubt you will get it on severe learning disability if your pip is primarily mobility based but worth a look.
    2 for 1 tickets normally you can get someone in for things like cinema, theater days out etc.
    If you like going to the cinema then look at getting an unlimited card for cineworld approx £15 a month and if you pay the £6 for a cea card then 2 of you get to watch unlimited movies for the monthly fee.
    Rail card approx £30 a year where you and a companion get 1 third of ticket price and I believe they still upgrade you to first class for no extra cost.
    Radar Key for disabled toilets but also started seeing more uses for this key like secured rooms with lockers in etc
    get registered as disabled with local authority this also usually has its own schemes free days out discounted tickets and holidays etc.
    Concert tickets are usually 241 and usually get special disabled area where it is not so busy and usually closer to the stage.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    I suspect his wage will be directly benefiting the op.

There's a lot of confusion around this. Motability agree that a partner's wages benefit the claimant and say the car can be used for this purpose. However, the DVLA rules are different and unless things have changed recently a partner driving to work doesn't count.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure