PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buy LEEDS

Comments

• Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Beeston isn't the best to live in, tbh. The area around Elland Road is ok (but busy) but the rest I would avoid. If you can post the link with a couple of spaces in, someone can paste it properly for you.
    As an example, for that price you could buy this 3-bed semi with conservatory, which is in a really nice modern development, on a quiet cul-de-sac, and still have £5k left over to make it your own. It's not far from Beeston, but worlds away in that sense and well served by buses into Leeds. These properties tend to sell quickly too, if you decide to move up the ladder later.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62065888.html
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2017 at 2:15PM
    Quite a "seductive"type of house that might fit the OP's description of a newly listed house in Beeston...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51160758.html

no idea of the area...i'll hand that over for someone more knowledgeable to comment.

but I will say the vendor has worked extremely hard on the interior of this property to create something....hopefully not to compensate for a downside location.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Natbag
    Forumite
    It's a gorgeous house, but the area would put me off. Especially when you have been looking at the likes of Meanwood, Horsforth, Rothwell, etc. It's not the best, nor the worst, but looking at street view tells a very different story to inside. It reminds me of my first house on a similar looking estate, and with hindsight I would have picked a different area had I been able to. But it's totally down to the individual's opinions and experiences.
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Natbag wrote: »
    It's a gorgeous house, but the area would put me off. Especially when you have been looking at the likes of Meanwood, Horsforth, Rothwell, etc. It's not the best, nor the worst, but looking at street view tells a very different story to inside. It reminds me of my first house on a similar looking estate, and with hindsight I would have picked a different area had I been able to. But it's totally down to the individual's opinions and experiences.

You sometimes find that is the downside...lovely property internally ...but done specifically because the area is not to match!

Pick the internal area of that house up and dump it where I live and you could almost put a 1 infront of the asking price!
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Natbag
    Forumite
    Exactly LEJC. I'm also thinking that is pushing beyond the top price you could reach in that area, and even with money spent on keeping the property up to that high standard, any buyer might struggle to sell it for that/close to that price in the future.
  • Yes that was the property ����
  • Natbag
    Forumite
    It is absolutely stunning. But say you stayed there for ten years, and it started to look worn/dated, you'd possibly struggle to sell it at that price or more, even if you spent money keeping it up to that standard.
    For me personally, I'd prefer to buy somewhere a little nicer and quieter that's already presentable, and maybe refurbish it to the same standard/taste over time. That way you'd also be likely to add value to the property and/or it would be more likely to sell before others in the area if you do put it on the market yourself in the future. I've seen some absolutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous properties, but the locations meant they were a no-go.
    Your search area is pretty wide and you have a decent budget for many areas way better, so don't settle too fast. The perfect home is out there :)
  • Having seen houses at top ends of our budget which are all pretty outdated, I won't deny I've been left tempted. For £155k it seems like too good to be true almost. However the location is giving me anxiety I must admit and I really am struggling.

Many of the houses at top end in desirable locations still require some work. So if a house is already up at £220k approx and it requires modernisation of £50k is it worth it?
  • Thank you Natbag that's really helpful advice ��
  • I'm going to view this property tomorrow and booked few others in areas mentioned in North Leeds. So I can get a feel of the difference. Right now I'm getting anxiety!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure