Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?

Comments

• Southernman
    Southernman Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JDC14 wrote: »
    Just to add to all this again.

I'm going back to Natwest and when they sent out cards a few months ago, I received a Purple Debit Card (4751 30...)

If I upgrade my account; 'Current Plus', to 'Select Silver' how do I know I'm going to get the credit one?

You have a credit scored account with the current plus. Adding a Silver onto it doesn't change the concept of the account, you'll be just getting more benefits ie mob ins, lovefilm etc.
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
  • JDC14
    JDC14 Posts: 436 Forumite
    You have a credit scored account with the current plus. Adding a Silver onto it doesn't change the concept of the account, you'll be just getting more benefits ie mob ins, lovefilm etc.

I didn't realise Current Plus was a credit account with Natwest.

They just updgraded it when I turned 18.
  • Ok I want to explain the Basic and Select Silver accounts to people, I have both and to be honest they are both great. The only problem with the Basic is the restricted ATM withdrawals. I have seriously bad credit as I lost my job and have fallen behind with everything.. I opened a NatWest Basic online thinking it was all I could open, Opened the Basic and about a week later a friend who lost there job at the same time said that when she opened a Basic account she was offered the Select Silver because they pass at the same crredit score which is very low. I applied online and was accepted the card is better and BLUE, it can also be used at Petrol pumps, on trains and on planes all of which I have tried time and time again it is also possible to have a cheque book with this account, just ask the friendly bank staff......

I now work at Halifax and find there accounts terrible, I do hold an Easycash but if I can get another job I shall leave Halifax and there ridiculous accounts(its bad since it joined Lloyds) i liked Halifax before then x
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,935 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2012 at 9:14AM
    Ok I want to explain the Basic and Select Silver accounts to people, I have both and to be honest they are both great. The only problem with the Basic is the restricted ATM withdrawals. I have seriously bad credit as I lost my job and have fallen behind with everything.. I opened a NatWest Basic online thinking it was all I could open, Opened the Basic and about a week later a friend who lost there job at the same time said that when she opened a Basic account she was offered the Select Silver because they pass at the same crredit score which is very low. I applied online and was accepted the card is better and BLUE, it can also be used at Petrol pumps, on trains and on planes all of which I have tried time and time again it is also possible to have a cheque book with this account, just ask the friendly bank staff......

I now work at Halifax and find there accounts terrible, I do hold an Easycash but if I can get another job I shall leave Halifax and there ridiculous accounts(its bad since it joined Lloyds) i liked Halifax before then x

Blue is online only. Purple is offline. All silver select adds to a basic account is the monthly charge and the extras like lovefilm.

I've had the blue, then made it silver select, then got the purple and now have a black account. I've just shut the silver select and sticking with the black. I also have a red card - online only - but that is a completely different account.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ok I want to explain the Basic and Select Silver accounts to people, I have both and to be honest they are both great. The only problem with the Basic is the restricted ATM withdrawals. I have seriously bad credit as I lost my job and have fallen behind with everything.. I opened a NatWest Basic online thinking it was all I could open, Opened the Basic and about a week later a friend who lost there job at the same time said that when she opened a Basic account she was offered the Select Silver because they pass at the same crredit score which is very low. I applied online and was accepted the card is better and BLUE, it can also be used at Petrol pumps, on trains and on planes all of which I have tried time and time again it is also possible to have a cheque book with this account, just ask the friendly bank staff......

Total nonsense.

Im confused to where you actually work in other post you worked for Natwest!!!!!
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Ok I want to explain the Basic and Select Silver accounts to people, I have both and to be honest they are both great. The only problem with the Basic is the restricted ATM withdrawals. I have seriously bad credit as I lost my job and have fallen behind with everything.. I opened a NatWest Basic online thinking it was all I could open, Opened the Basic and about a week later a friend who lost there job at the same time said that when she opened a Basic account she was offered the Select Silver because they pass at the same crredit score which is very low. I applied online and was accepted the card is better and BLUE, it can also be used at Petrol pumps, on trains and on planes all of which I have tried time and time again it is also possible to have a cheque book with this account, just ask the friendly bank staff......

Yet you state here you have umpteen tens of thousands of pounds of credit available and just paid of a £380k mortgage? Reported :spam:
  • Hi, have been reading this thread with interest.

I recently opened a Select account with RBS. Have received a cheque book. How can I tell if I have the credit checked account or the non one? I'm still waiting for the debit card and really hoping I receive the purple one as I travel a huge amount and the need to buy train tickets, petrol @ pump and things onboard planes (albeit not all of the time).

Another thing slightly off topic - I used to have a Santander account and closed this after a non-paid direct debit defaulted the account (still in dispute almost two years later). After opening my RBS account I was horrified to find that the branch I opened the account at (and my account) was being sold to Santander... I thought I was getting away from these idiots! As the account is only recently opened, can I have it changed to a Scottish branch? I never visit the branch anyway, so it wouldn't really matter where it was based, however AIUI the branch change process requires a new account to be opened and the sort code and A/C are thus completely changed...

...starting to think this is all more hassle than it was worth trying a new bank!
  • Have just received my debit card this morning and it's an RBS blue one.
    However, in the literature with it, it specifies that cards starting with the numbers 4751 16 "(you) will only be able to use your debit card at a retailer or supplier of services where they can authorise the transaction with us at the time of the transaction being made. If this is not possible the transaction will be declined."

I've attached a photo of my card, and as you can see it begins 4762 30, which leads me to believe it is a true offline card, albeit blue in appearance? I'm flying to Amsterdam in a few weeks, so will try it on the plane, but would be handy to know in the meantime!

imgur.com/xVVES.jpg
    (will have to copy and paste link as it won't let me post a photo).
  • fullauth wrote: »
    Have just received my debit card this morning and it's an RBS blue one.
    However, in the literature with it, it specifies that cards starting with the numbers 4751 16 "(you) will only be able to use your debit card at a retailer or supplier of services where they can authorise the transaction with us at the time of the transaction being made. If this is not possible the transaction will be declined."

I've attached a photo of my card, and as you can see it begins 4762 30, which leads me to believe it is a true offline card, albeit blue in appearance? I'm flying to Amsterdam in a few weeks, so will try it on the plane, but would be handy to know in the meantime!

imgur.com/xVVES.jpg
    (will have to copy and paste link as it won't let me post a photo).

Of course yours is blue its from RBS not Natwest!!! Most RBS cards are blue, where natwest do a blue card and a purple one.

The blue one being the online card and the purple one being the full fat offline card.

So how was your post relevant to the subject Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • The RBS group owns Natwest? Which is how it's quite relevant, even though I got confused between the two types of carf, and RBS has been discussed in this thread previously also. Better than starting a whole separate thread, surely.

Thank you for your pointless comment though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure