December Debt Destruction!!!

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.

Join join join join join join:T:T:T
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • I would like to join please :)
    CC: £3,8898.01 OD: £2,000.00
  • Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.

Surely over-budgeting in both budget spends and planned days would defeat the object of the challenge?

Say your grocery bill is usually £200 then, according to the rules, it should reduce to £170 but ... if you over budget it to £230 & reduce to £200 .... then you've technically met the rules of the challenge but you've not actually achieved any reduction......

What would be the point in doing the challenge!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2012 at 9:16AM
    Surely over-budgeting in both budget spends and planned days would defeat the object of the challenge?

Say your grocery bill is usually £200 then, according to the rules, it should reduce to £170 but ... if you over budget it to £230 & reduce to £200 .... then you've technically met the rules of the challenge but you've not actually achieved any reduction......

What would be the point in doing the challenge!

The point of doing the challenge is to have a budget as to having none at all and thinking about where money goes and taking note rather than just spending blindly. If this is not for you don't take part, simples. As Kat said you have to make allowances for personal circumstances, Kat is no Dictator. Some rules don't apply to everybody. I can't cut out 5 people for christmas as I only buy (bought) for three and the rest get HM stuff that I already have in the house. Etc etc etc
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2012 at 10:00AM
    As Kat said you have to make allowances for personal circumstances, Kat is no Dictator. Some rules don't apply to everybody.

That was my reason for originally saying that I couldn't unfortunately meet some of them ......

As had already been asked by that point:
    Are you executing us to comply with all the bullet points ( I know that's impossible for me!) or pick 3 of them say?
    Please tell me you are joking?
    Yes all please...

From the above - it certainly doesn't appear that some are optional!
  • Hi All.

I would love to join in please and have been following the November thread with interest. I will work out my budgets and pop back and introduce myself properly later as I have to dash off to work now.

Have a great day x
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2012 at 10:48AM
    Sorry long post, but here's my plan. NSK let me know if I need to tweak sth. Cheers

• Minimum 20 NSD. Please pledge this on the NSD board, do not do this on this thread. WILL DO
    • 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. NO PROBLEM
    • Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes? Not Really started yet as that wasn’t possible in NOvember ;) but I’ll keep my food budget from last month and will make do with that including Christmas food (and I have to feed FIL, parents, BF and DS for a week around christmas). Plan on £220 again but trying to remain £30 under
    • “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks. £150 as I have 5 outings (lunch, dinner) that I can’t get out of and need a few stocking fillers. Trying to stay well under that though.
    • No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. Ok
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose. Will have to be virtual envelopes as I can’t withdraw that much or done weekly
    • 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. 10 spend days should be fine
    • On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer. I’ll try to find one
    • NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5. Don’t do beauty spends ;) Got the hairdresser but that money is saved from this month
    • NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks. No problem
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. Taking the bus/bike anyway, too far to walk
    • Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies. Yep
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year. Only buy/bought for parents, BF and son. The rest get HM hampers with cupboard ingredients like cookies or HM limoncello, which is infusing as we speak and paid for
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else. Don’t do them anyway
    • Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S. Yep
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!! Already done
    • NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Don’t do shopping :p
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one. Can’t as I don’t have another spend day left in November ;), but I got a box that I use
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rds=money+tins
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Hi Kat,

wow those rules are going to take some remembering. Going to print them out like others have said.

I think 90% of them will be ok to stick to, a few tricky ones there but will try my hardest.

I am treating Christmas dinner like a normal sunday roast. If I think like that, it will hopefully stop me convincing myself that I need two trolleys worth of food, like previous Christmas's.

Thankfully this year, we only have my mother over, and she is abit doo-lally so she won't notice if its a budget Christmas.

I think the tricky bit is all the Cheese and crackers I convince myself I need. Speciality cheeses are very expensive. going to have a think about that.

Count me in though....Thanks KAt, you are just what we need :T

TomandJerry - Not sure how much Gluten free flour costs compared to normal Strong bread flour, but I have been making my own bread and it works about about 40p per loaf. And thats a large one using 550g of flour.

So well worth doing it. You don't really need any equipment.
    Just flour, yeast, salt, sugar, butter & water. knead, shape into a round mound on a baking tray, leave to rise and bake.
    Ok you will not have the conventional square shaped sandwiches, but who likes to be conventional :D.

Go for it xxx
  • I think the tricky bit is all the Cheese and crackers I convince myself I need. Speciality cheeses are very expensive. going to have a think about that.

If you've got an Al*di near you - they do some fantastic (and unusual) cheeses and they're great prices :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure