PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I owe my boyfriend rent?

winklepickers
winklepickers Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 31 July 2012 at 9:35PM in House buying, renting & selling
My boyfriend and I are breaking up and obviously I want to move out, but he says that if I do I owe him money and he will take me to court to get it.

We rent a flat together which has three months left on our six month lease but this rent has already been paid. I wasn't working when we moved in together, but he really wanted me to live with him rather than my parents so he offered to pay all £5000 upfront. When we moved in I set up the utilities in my name and started paying all the food. So far I've paid for all bills, food, toiletries and his clothes which has cost around £1050 over three months. I've been working for one month now.
He says I have to pay him £2500, so if I leave I owe him £1450, and we have a verbal contract so if I don't he will take me to court. I never said I would pay X amount back and he never asked for X amount until now.
Do I owe him? Can he take me to court and what does that actually mean?

I am really worried because I can't afford a new place to live and £1450. If I do owe him, do these other things count towards it:
I organised and paid £150 for his stuff to be moved from his old flat to this one and unpacked it for him.
I bought some furniture for the flat including a desk for him.
I have done 100% of the housework, even putting his clothes in the washing basket and handing him his pack lunch.

Am I in trouble here? What can I do?? I've tried searching for past threads but it's tricky because the rent is paid and only he was referenced though I am on the lease so I doubt our LL cares as they have the money. Any advice appreciated, I realise I've been stupid but didn't see us breaking up like this (who does?!).

Comments

• lolly_896
    lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Is your name on tenancy
    DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781
  • Hump
    Hump Posts: 519 Forumite
    Is he the tenant and are you an authorised occupant?
  • Hump
    Hump Posts: 519 Forumite
    You also need to seek some help as the situation you describe sounds like 'domestic violence' - quote "Staying until I have paid it all is not an option. He is frankly a very nasty person, emotionally cruel and threatening and I can only see it getting worse."

Get out, get help - be a survivor call Womens Aid on 0808 2000 247
  • I think my name is on the tenancy, I had to sign and initial but wasn't referenced as I had no income. I will try to find out.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hump wrote: »
    You also need to seek some help as the situation you describe sounds like 'domestic violence' - quote "Staying until I have paid it all is not an option. He is frankly a very nasty person, emotionally cruel and threatening and I can only see it getting worse."

Get out, get help - be a survivor call Womens Aid on 0808 2000 247

Domestic violence my ar*e, he is only asking for his share of the rent (which i dont believe he has a chance of getting) and some womans libber screams domestic violence.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • paddedjohn wrote: »
    Domestic violence my ar*e, he is only asking for his share of the rent
    I don't mean that about asking for the rent. It is the main reason I want to break up but I wouldn't personally consider it domestic abuse.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No. Move out.

1) if your name is on the tenancy as a joint tenant, (jointly and severally" responsible) then you are both equally liable to the landlord for rent and damage

2) but if the rent is already paid, that sorts that

3) if he damages the place, the LL could come after you (who paid the deposit if there was one?), but if you've already gone, LL is more likely to chase him

4) if your name is on the gas/leccy, council tax, then you are liable for these. But you could write to each of them, give them a meter reading, say you are moving out on X date, and close the account. Pay the finalbill they send to your new address.

5) food, toiletries, clothes etc. Not your problem. Let him whistle!

6) either leave the furniture you bought for him, or get a friend to help you move it out
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    OP, the worst that can happen is that he takes you to the small claims court and they find in his favour meaning you will have to pay him some money but IMHO it wont be anywhere near the 2.5k hes after.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • G_M wrote: »
    No. Move out.

1) if your name is on the tenancy as a joint tenant, (jointly and severally" responsible) then you are both equally liable to the landlord for rent and damage

2) but if the rent is already paid, that sorts that

3) if he damages the place, the LL could come after you (who paid the deposit if there was one?), but if you've already gone, LL is more likely to chase him

4) if your name is on the gas/leccy, council tax, then you are liable for these. But you could write to each of them, give them a meter reading, say you are moving out, and close the account. Pay the finalbill they send to your new address.

5) food, toiletries, clothes etc. Not your problem. Let him whistle!

6) either leave the furniture you bought for him, or get a friend to help you move it out

So he can't make me pay anything?
    He paid the deposit.
    I was planning to leave the furniture so it would then be about £1700.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    No i wouldnt of thought you owed him rent!

You have done a lot in respect of paying bills including food and clothing and a desk!
    If your on the tenancy it may change things BUT if your not then just leave.

Do you have proof of the bills you`ve paid, things you`ve bought etc? Handy to keep hold of that for proof.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills