Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay the window cleaner?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• mouldylocks
    Options
    The first time it happened, you could have thanked the window cleaner for the nice job, and explained politely that there may have been a mistake in connection with the 'A' suffix.
    You could have insisted on paying him, although he would most likely have refused payment if you were friendly and polite, and then explained that you usually do your windows yourself/are not bothered about having them done in future.
    If you could not afford to pay him, you could have explained that, although you would love to have a regular service, you are not in a financial position to do so at present. And then apologised with a smile.
    I suspect that you allowed him to carry on doing it for a number of weeks until he caught you in, and then you refused to pay him.
    Having got something for nothing (his hard work), you are now seeking justification from like minded individuals, and getting it.
    Thatcherism set the new British standard - a country that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Bobholford
    Options
    Sounds really odd to me - after all, if I was the window cleaner and I cleaned the wrong windows and didn't get paid, I sure wouldn't clean them again! This guy keeps coming round saying he's cleaned your windows when you not only haven't asked him but more to the point have refused payment before. Sounds to me like he's trying it on and you definately should not pay.
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 July 2010 at 1:46PM
    Options
    I wouldn't as "until the money has changed hands no contract has been struck". This means you wouldn't have to, as there wouldn't be a contract with terms that could be violated. The quote was from MSE's guide on how to haggle.
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 18 July 2010 at 7:08PM
    Options
    The first time it happened, you could have thanked the window cleaner for the nice job, and explained politely that there may have been a mistake in connection with the 'A' suffix.
    You could have insisted on paying him, although he would most likely have refused payment if you were friendly and polite, and then explained that you usually do your windows yourself/are not bothered about having them done in future.
    If you could not afford to pay him, you could have explained that, although you would love to have a regular service, you are not in a financial position to do so at present. And then apologised with a smile.
    I suspect that you allowed him to carry on doing it for a number of weeks until he caught you in, and then you refused to pay him.
    Having got something for nothing (his hard work), you are now seeking justification from like minded individuals, and getting it.
    Thatcherism set the new British standard - a country that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Hey, your not 'my' window cleaner are you mouldylocks?? :rotfl:

He must be a right thicko if he can't figure out which windows are mine and which are my neighbours. After all, at the back, they are divided by a 6ft fence. At the front, they are symmetrical. I have 2 upstairs and 1 downstairs...and in the middle of that...THERE IS MY FRONT DOOR which clearly says number 8. My neighbours door clearly says 8A. If he can't get that right, he should have stayed in school abit longer!

If somebody offered to pay you for something you knew you weren't supposed to be doing, would you refuse their money just because they were polite? I doubt it! If you do though, your obviously too nice!

It has nothing to do with whether I can 'afford' it or not, its the principle of the matter. I've told him 3 times now. How much clearer do you think he needs it?

No offence to any legitimate window cleaners out there but is it really that 'hard' a job? Wet window, soap window, wipe window. Whistle while your doing it.

To be fair, I wouldn't have noticed if they had been done or not as I don't go meticulously checking my windows every time I get in from work on the off chance that someone 'might' have cleaned them!

I suspect that you suspect too much!!

I wasn't even a glint in my Dads eye when Thatcher was Prime Minister but I hear she was a right evil moo. Even took milk off the little kiddies!! Don't try and turn this situation on me because some numpty can't read...or listen!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • philiprkarenj
    Options
    don't pay, if he gets really annoyed thats harrassment, threaten to phone the police if he does not leave as he is trespassing on your property
  • angieb58
    angieb58 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Don't pay. If you went to M&S food hall and an assistant put a food item into your basket that you neither want or aked for, then expected you not only to accept it, but pay for it! Such behaviour, as with the window cleaner, is unacceptable and extortion!
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Just an update if anyone is interested/bothered!

Had my windows cleaned again today but by a different cleaner. I told the lad who was doing the front that I didn't get them done and he just laughed and said "Well you've just got yourself a freebie!"

Fair enough.

Then I saw the gaffer (who was doing the backs of the houses) and he told me that he had just bought the round from the previous guy and this was his first time so he wasn't sure about what number he was doing at the back (likely story?).

Anyway, he said that because he cleans my neighbours either side (one hasn't lived there for months so dunno how he's gonna get paid for that) and needs to access their windows from my garden, he offered to do mine for free for the use of my fence!

If anything gets broken, it gets replaced through his public liability insurance.

Obviously I'm not in the house all of the time so I'm a bit confused how I am supposed to prove that he has cleaned them rather than just using my fence to get into my neighbours garden!

Anyway, at least he actually asked my permission rather than just cleaning them and asking for money at the end. I still have an issue with them looking through my windows etc. so I guess I'll just have to close the blinds!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • alevin
    alevin Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been cleaning windows for over forty years and have never had to be told more than once that my services are no longer required.I would never do an unsolicited job.Mistakes happen, I give people the benefit of the doubt.However, some customers behavior when it comes to paying is way beyond the pale.I get the odd one who having enjoyed years of good service will wrack up a bill and then claim that they didn't want them doing.There are those who have asked me to clean their windows and never paid me the once.No complaints, sometimes an excuse - I'm still out of pocket.Believe me, the bad customers far outnumber the times I get it wrong.I try to make good.THEY NEVER DO!
  • janiebquick
    Options
    Next time he does it, pay him, but tell him you don't want him to clean them again. Although personally I'd be delighted if someone cleaned my windows without asking.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure