IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC - ANYONE who gets a 'ticket' - please read

BobSmith
BobSmith Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 22 December 2011 at 2:59PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Issued a ticket (invoice) by UKPC earlier in the year...I used Google, came on to MSE and read posts on this forum.

I ignored UKPC and true enough got the stupid letters...

Initially from UKPC asking me to pay a ‘fine’...

Then from a 'debt recovery' agency (no doubt the UKPC)...

Then from a Solicitor (UKPC again perhaps?)...

Then from a new debt recovery agency (UKPC) saying I could now pay the fine at a REDUCED rate...(yes – how odd - debt recovery agencies now reduce fines IN THIER FIRST CONTACT WITH YOU)

Then a new letter from the debt recovery agency offering a FURTHER REDUCTION on my fine...(yes, then they offer to reduce it more – how odd)

Then.....

Silence.

All because of people on this forum taking the time to warn the public to not pay these STUPID ‘fines’ - THANKYOU ALL.

PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS ARE NOT ENFORCEABLE – DO NOT PAY THEM – EVENTUALLY THEY WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS

I wish we could somehow get this message to all the poor people who get swindled into paying up –

the government should do something about these people as it's a bl**dy disgrace.

:T

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 December 2011 at 2:49PM
    I don't think it's clever to park willy nilly on these car parks then ignore any tickets if you have deliberately overstayed. And why on earth would we want them to go out of business? They are at least a facility. Is the council going to pick up the slack and create more parking? Don't hold your breath...
    I think those who choose to park in a private car park should either obey the rules or park elsewhere. All those folk overstaying reduce spaces for people like me who just want to do a quick shop then out. It can be especially difficult this time of year.

Unfortunately private car clampers often operate in these car parks. And paying up is usually the only way of releasing your car. It's those who get clamped or towed for a minute over - or for parking a fraction over a white line etc that I feel sorry for. There is one notorious car park/clamping double act in Haworth West Yorkshire. Now there's someone I would like to see go out of business.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1628325
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3238972.stm
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you mean the "rules" such as overstaying for a few minutes, or having a wheel touching a line, even though you may have spent hundreds of pounds in that shop? As you well know the only money that the PPC can claim for is the actual loss suffered by the landowner. Anything else is an unfair penalty.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Hadeon
    Hadeon Posts: 367 Forumite
    pineapple wrote: »
    I don't think it's clever to park willy nilly on these car parks then ignore any tickets if you have deliberately overstayed. And why on earth would we want them to go out of business? Is the council going to pick up the slack and create more parking? Don't hold your breath...
    I think those who choose to park in a private car park should either obey the rules or park elsewhere. All those folk overstaying reduce spaces for people like me who just want to do a quick shop then out. It can be especially difficult this time of year.

So what about 'all those folk' who want to do a long shop/browse/eat etc, and spend hundreds of pounds into the bargain, especially at this time of year?
  • pineapple:

1. - Where in my post did I say anything about parking willy nilly or not obeying the rules? - I was issued a ticket for something I had NOT DONE. Do not assume you know details on my case.

2. - Why on earth would we want them to go out of business? - because companies that con people by sending threatening letters demanding money, pretend to be the law, pretend to be debt collectors, bailiffs and lawyers and make people pay fines massively out of proportion to what they have done should go out of business.

Please do humour me with your idea of what kind of facility these companies offer and what the hell private parking companies have to do with the council creating more parking.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,578
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 December 2011 at 3:34PM
    I don't think it's clever to park willy nilly on these car parks then ignore any tickets if you have deliberately overstayed. And why on earth would we want them to go out of business? They are at least a facility. Is the council going to pick up the slack and create more parking? Don't hold your breath...

You seem to be under the misapprehension that a PPC actually 'provides' the facility of the car park; paints the bays on the car park; pays for the upkeep and arranges repairs of potholes in it etc.? Don't make me laugh! We are not (usually) talking about NCP multi-storeys here, we are talking about car parks adjacent to shops/entertainment complex/hospital or other service.

The retailers/landlord/hospital/services/railway (whoever is actually trading onsite or owns the site) provide the facility of the car park. The PPC just infests it and their only contribution to the 'ambience' is their signage, their staff member is a high-vis vest and maybe cameras! Remove these PPC scam trappings and what are you left with?

...Oh yes, it's still a car park!

Unfortunately private car clampers often operate in these car parks. And paying up is usually the only way of releasing your car. It's those who get clamped or towed for a minute over - or for parking a fraction over a white line etc that I feel sorry for. There is one notorious car park/clamping double act in Haworth West Yorkshire. Now there's someone I would like to see go out of business.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1628325
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3238972.stm

Now that's different, we are not talking about clamping cases. Clampers do not infest Supermarket/hospital/large retail car parks as a rule. But fully agree they need to be put out of business - as they will be by the Government in the Spring.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hadeon
    Hadeon Posts: 367 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2011 at 3:33PM
    Perhaps supermarkets/retail parks et alii should consider marking out their car-parks to accomodate long as well as short-stay customers.
    Would that 'do it' for you pineapple?

On second thoughts, that might not be such a good idea.
    You would probably end up being 'ticketed' for being a short-stay customer parking in a long-term bay & vice versa. :)
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    PPC is always going to be a hot topic of debate. Yes its true that they can't enforce their PCNs but in theory they could always get a court order to obtain the drivers details. They don't do it (too much hassle) so at the moment they're left to look like scammers - which they are really. The problem is though councils are also cutting down on parking facilities whilst upping the charges. More car parks are being turned into housing and the P&D charges continue to rise while they're convinced the motorist has unlimited bundles of cash.

PPCs while scammers for PCNs do have a part to play in some respects however IMO they should be limited to operating barrier car parks which avoids the PCN issue completely. The con? - The cost of equipment. 6 parkeon barriers and associated POFs can cost in excess of £150k and second hand parking equipment is usually so run into the ground its good for parts only.

There is no clear cut way forward for a nation obsessed with cars.

@Coupon-Mad: While what you say about the PPC infesting a car park is true, many companies who provide P&D car parks (such as railways) have no idea how to deal with customers who won't pay. I spoke to a railway employee a while back about their parking and he openly admitted "we used to let them all go - we've no idea about the laws relating to parking, we just run trains". While the PPC may be thought of as dirt they do play a role in making sure that most of their clients get their revenue from P&D and that free car parks don't get weighed down with cars that are 'stored' with no tax etc. When you think about it like that perhaps it makes sense that most won't do court - they don't want to kill their clients business yet some PPCs will dip their toes in the water via the courts for persistent problematic drivers (and still loose lol). I agree PPCs do put themselves in a bad position but they do play a deterrent role even though its worthless IMO. Railway parking should be free. You pay for the railway company service when buying your ticket and the fact that most of them own the land from the days when they had sidings etc shows that they've not made any extra financial investment that they need to pay for.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,578
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ''I spoke to a railway employee a while back about their parking and he openly admitted "we used to let them all go - we've no idea about the laws relating to parking, we just run trains".

Nowt wrong with that and I agree with you, railway car parks should be free.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with that and I agree with you, railway car parks should be free.

Most were in the days of BR. Some people slag of BR saying they were **** etc but the fact is since privatisation ticket prices have gone up, railway car parks are no longer free, the trains (though some are new after the slamdoors were finally replaced) are still dirty and they still don't run on time!

On top of that I don't think BR got a subsidy from the government either, they were entirely self funding I believe.
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Message to pineapple. A PPC does jack apart from prowl and enforce their trumped up violations, then usually try to charge an unenforceable penalty where there is no consequential loss actionable in law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure